Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What was the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Unless he's had a change of heart, John Cleese supported Brexit.
    It's a play on the Peoples Front of Judea, which I thought was relatively obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nothing like working to ensure your own prophecy comes true by any means to make feel nice and superior, eh?
      Judging from your earlier comment to me it is clear that you do not really understand the events that [a] led up to Brexit and [b] those of the past four years as the negotiations played out.

Contrary to your initial comment regarding "the Left", the entire Brexit process is, and has been, firmly in in the hands of consecutive Conservative governments.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Judging from your earlier comment to me it is clear that you do not really understand the events that [a] led up to Brexit and [b] those of the past four years as the negotiations played out.

Contrary to your initial comment regarding "the Left", the entire Brexit process is, and has been, firmly in in the hands of consecutive Conservative governments.
        As I understand things, the UK conservatives are still left of American middle-of-the-road political views (if there actually is some clear way of grouping political views).

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

It's a play on the Peoples Front of Judea, which I thought was relatively obvious.
          I suspect many here have never seen that movie!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

There was no point really. It was a nonsense from start to finish. I'm of the opinion now that England actually needs a colossal avoidable embarrassment like this so they can come to terms with their place in the world. I wish those who voted for the country to shoot itself in the foot hadn't dragged the rest of us down with them though.

On top of this we've been lumped with a annual £7bn bill from the resulting red tape from Johnson's 'deal'. Yay.

As the FT reports this weekend, EU negotiators were astonished to discover that Johnson and his gang never cared at all about economics; they were obsessed with their own fantastical notion of "sovereignty", and believed that, somehow, the UK was the equal of the EU and deserved to be treated as such.
            Oh I quite agree the entire thing is a complete mess that, as you have stated, was all predicted

Meanwhile many small and medium firms are going to go to the wall with the accompanying job losses.

I also wonder how long the car industry will stay. Will Nissan sit it out in Wearside?

And any trade deal with the USA has been kicked into the long grass. Biden has far more important things to do over the next few years and now that Britain is outside of the EU it is no longer the "bridge" it previously was between the USA and Europe.

However, the delicious irony that several contributors to this thread have missed is that British government advisors are now recommending small and medium firms to move into Europe to avoid the chaos of Brexit. It is no wonder that over here the UK is a laughing stock.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And any trade deal with the USA has been kicked into the long grass. Biden has far more important things to do over the next few years and now that Britain is outside of the EU it is no longer the "bridge" it previously was between the USA and Europe.
              I also understand Biden hasn't forgotten Johnson saying Obama moving the bust of Churchill out of the oval office is down to sour grapes due to his Kenyan heritage (he claims to be fine with Biden doing the same thing though- funny that).

He knows exactly what my skidmark of a prime minister is about, and he understandably finds him wanting. Plus he viewed how we treated Ireland in the negotiations poorly, plus, plus... Too many items to mention really...!

However, the delicious irony that several contributors to this thread have missed is that British government advisors are now recommending small and medium firms to move into Europe to avoid the chaos of Brexit. It is no wonder that over here the UK is a laughing stock.
              Yes, it is utterly farcical isn't it. For a laugh, you should check out the interview where they asked Johnson if he agreed Biden was 'woke'. Really funny (coz Biden is decent- therefore 'woke', and Johnson's government have been waging a populist culture war against that sort of thing. He can't agree he's 'woke', because that puts him against Biden further, and he's desperate to keep up any meagre good terms he might still have). Hoisted by his own petard one might say.

Comment

I suspect many here have never seen that movie!
                I've seen all their films. But an image of Cleese is far more recognizable than an image of Cleese playing a specific part in a specific film.

My point still stands; the creator of that film role is pro-Brexit.

Comment

I also understand Biden hasn't forgotten Johnson saying Obama moving the bust of Churchill out of the oval office is down to sour grapes due to his Kenyan heritage (he claims to be fine with Biden doing the same thing though- funny that).
                  I think Johnson is the UK's answer to Trump.

He knows exactly what my skidmark of a prime minister is about, and he understandably finds him wanting. Plus he viewed how we treated Ireland in the negotiations poorly, plus, plus... Too many items to mention really...!
                  Well Obama warned the British in 2016 that if they voted to Leave they would be "at the back of the queue".

Yes, it is utterly farcical isn't it. For a laugh, you should check out the interview where they asked Johnson if he agreed Biden was 'woke'. Really funny (coz Biden is decent- therefore 'woke', and Johnson's government have been waging a populist culture war against that sort of thing. He can't agree he's 'woke', because that puts him against Biden further, and he's desperate to keep up any meagre good terms he might still have). Hoisted by his own petard one might say.
                  What must anger so many in the UK who either voted to Remain or are now seeing the chaos caused by Brexit is that the whole Leave thing was fomented by a very small group of people who are/were still living in the past and believed Britain was still a "Great Power" as exemplified by the recent comment by this upper class twit of the year concerning fish being happier because they are now in British waters.

This is a very good read.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I've seen all their films. But an image of Cleese is far more recognizable than an image of Cleese playing a specific part in a specific film.

My point still stands; the creator of that film role is pro-Brexit.
                    I understand he is, but Cleese has "fallen off his perch" a few times in his later life. I suspect that of the Python team he is the most neurotic.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

As I understand things, the UK conservatives are still left of American middle-of-the-road political views
                      Oh the Party has its fair share of crypto-fascists.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

.I'm actually a little jealous of the USA for the first time that I can remember - at least they've voted now to turn some kind of corner into being a grownup country again.
                        I have to assume this is sarcasm.

First of all, China Joe is only in the White House because of Democrat cheating. And secondly, despite being president for less than a week, he has already done tremendous damage to our economy and sovereignty.

So really, you have nothing to feel jealous of, but it's not unusual for foreigners to only like the United States when our government does things that negatively affect us.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nothing like working to ensure your own prophecy comes true by any means to make feel nice and superior, eh?
                          That has been my impression as well, that British leadership did absolutely nothing to ensure a smooth transition away from the European Union, and now they're crowing about how they were right all along. It's almost like they want to punish the people who voted to leave.

Comment

Wait! This thread isn't about American Politics!

giphy.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That has been my impression as well, that British leadership did absolutely nothing to ensure a smooth transition away from the European Union, and now they're crowing about how they were right all along. It's almost like they want to punish the people who voted to leave.
                              Do you actually follow European news?

Who are the members of this "British leadership" that "did absolutely nothing to ensure a smooth transition away from the European Union"?

Would you be so kind as to identify them?

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do you actually follow European news?
                                Not as closely as I follow US news.

Who are the members of this "British leadership" that "did absolutely nothing to ensure a smooth transition away from the European Union"?

Would you be so kind as to identify them?
                                Feel free to do your own homework.

Comment