Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment #2: The Unity Impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Paul. Seems like four years of a Trump presidency has rubbed off on him, and he's toughened up a lot. I would love see him make another run for the White House.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      [box]Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) got 45 Republicans to side with him and vote on Tuesday that the second impeachment trial against former President Trump is unconstitutional. The motion was voted down 55-45, meaning the trial will proceed. But, as Sen. Paul notes, 45 senators will be more than enough to acquit Trump, meaning that this trial is "dead on arrival."
      Paul and Josh Hawley have got fire in their bellies. Most conservatives are squishy.

Notably, Sen. Mitch McConnell, who publicly criticized Trump for "provoking" the mob that went to the Capitol, voted in favor of Sen. Paul's point of order.
      Case in point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

His speech was outstanding...

Indeed, great speech, and I agree, there seems to be zero constitutional basis for the Senate to hold impeachment proceedings on a private citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I really like Paul. Seems like four years of a Trump presidency has rubbed off on him, and he's toughened up a lot. I would love see him make another run for the White House.
          I'd like to see it as well. Maybe a Rand/Amashn or perhaps even a Rand/Gabbard (or even Amash/Gabbard) would have me voting Republican for the first time since Bush 1 (almost pulled the trigge rfor Trump this last one but ended up writing in)

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'd like to see it as well. Maybe a Rand/Amashn or perhaps even a Rand/Gabbard (or even Amash/Gabbard) would have me voting Republican for the first time since Bush 1 (almost pulled the trigge rfor Trump this last one but ended up writing in)
            Aside from the obvious party-affiliation problems, a Rand/Gabbard ticket would be an uneasy one due to 2nd Amendment disagreements and fiscal issues.

Comment

(almost pulled the trigge rfor Trump this last one but ended up writing in)
              So it's your fault!
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It looks like the Repubs are going to let him off and go full Trumpy.

Nikki Haley on the victim Trump:

“I don’t even think there’s a basis for impeachment,” Haley said, adding: “They beat him up before he got into office. They’re beating him up after he leaves office. At some point, I mean, give the man a break!"

Give the man a break! Ever since he launched his unprecedented effort to corrupt and steal a presidential election, which included co-opting large swaths of the government toward nefarious ends, trying to invalidate millions of Americans’ votes based on fictions, pressuring state officials to overturn certified results, and inciting a violent assault on the seat of government that may have almost led to outright assassinations, Trump has been through absolute hell!

Trumpism is saturated with a toxic combination of victimization and cultish deification of Trump (who is himself cast as the chief victim in all sorts of situations), but this really takes it to rock bottom.

What’s so striking here is that Haley was actually cleaning up for her earlier criticism of Trump. Earlier in the interview, Fox’s Laura Ingraham confronted Haley by pointing out that she had previously said Trump would be “judged harshly” for the assault. Haley actually offered this as a kind of backpedal.

Worse still, Haley is supposed to be a rising star who might run in 2024 as a non-Trumpist Republican. As the conservative blogger Allahpundit points out, even the less Trumpy Republicans, those who fancy themselves serious conservatives, are capitulating to the notion that Trump and his coalition are largely being victimized by efforts to hold him accountable for inciting an insurrectionist assault on the Capitol.
                Trump just needs to work out how to monetise all this hero worship.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  It looks like the Repubs are going to let him off and go full Trumpy.

Nikki Haley on the victim Trump:

Trump just needs to work out how to monetise all this hero worship.
                  "Let him off" - you mean.... choose to not run a Senate impeachment trial on a privatcitizen in contravention to the constitution?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Aside from the obvious party-affiliation problems, a Rand/Gabbard ticket would be an uneasy one due to 2nd Amendment disagreements and fiscal issues.
                    See, that's what I want to see. I want to see a VP who isnt a yes-man, who challenges the president intellectually and politicalland brings in an "otherside" viewpoint. Honestly I think we lost something when we stopped the "vp is the opponent who lost"

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Let him off" - you mean.... choose to not run a Senate impeachment trial on a privatcitizen in contravention to the constitution?
                        The entire point of impeachment is to remove someone from office. But Trump is no longer in office so an impeachment makes no sense. It is just another circus run by the evil clowns

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nah.
                          The plain language of Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution gives the Senate the ability to impose two separate and distinct penalties upon convicting an official who has been impeached by the House of Representatives: (1) “removal from Office, and [(2)] disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States.” The Constitution does not say that the Senate’s ability to disqualify an official from holding future office is unavailable merely because the other penalty can no longer be imposed.
                          and

…. the one word that puts the issue to bed. That word is “all.” Article I, Section 3, Clause 6: “The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all impeachments.” Mr. Luttig’s contention that only incumbent officers can be tried is nowhere to be found in the Constitution. The word “all” belies that conclusion. The document is clear that for any valid impeachment, the Senate can sit in judgment and potentially mete out the punishment of disqualification to hold future office, regardless of whether the accused has already left his or her position.

Last edited by firstfloor; 01-26-2021, 05:45 PM.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The entire point of impeachment is to remove someone from office. But Trump is no longer in office so an impeachment makes no sense. It is just another circus run by the evil clowns
                            Point is answered above. We already know that no degree of lawlessness is too lawless for a Republican. This trial will provide many such examples.

Comment

Point is answered above. We already know that no degree of lawlessness is too lawless for a Republican. This trial will provide many such examples.
                              The last thing we need is a phony show trial.

Comment

Nah.

and

[/FONT][/FONT]

He's a private citizen. The time for a senate trial is gone. He's not President. Continuing now is straight up unconstitutional.

Comment