Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment #2: The Unity Impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He's a private citizen. The time for a senate trial is gone. He's not President. Continuing now is straight up unconstitutional.
    It is certainly the excuse that Repubs cling to. He was POTUS when he crimed and still POTUS when he was impeached. There is no one else that can administer justice in that case and he cannot escape justice by resigning or running out his term. There is no mechanism to transfer jurisdiction to a civil court.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

It is certainly the excuse that Repubs cling to. He was POTUS when he crimed and still POTUS when he was impeached. There is no one else that can administer justice in that case and he cannot escape justice by resigning or running out his term. There is no mechanism to transfer jurisdiction to a civil court.
      There is, however, the power to charge him with a federal crime, which DOES go through the courts. Impeachment isn't about justice, its about removing and barring someone from office.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He's a private citizen. The time for a senate trial is gone. He's not President. Continuing now is straight up unconstitutional.
        FF almost got it right except for one word which I've corrected

We already know that no degree of lawlessness is too lawless for a Republican Democrat

They don't care what's legal because, well, TRUMP!!!!

He will be living rent free in the minds of many of those on the left for many years to come.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It’s sad that Repubs cannot bring themselves to do the right thing and hold Trump to account. They clearly worship him.

If Trump had done a Hannibal Lecter on Mike Pence, would they have used the same argument?

The largely partisan vote indicated that, nearly three weeks after the Capitol attack, much of the GOP anger over Trump’s actions immediately before and during the siege has faded. Notably, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — who previously said Trump had “provoked” the Capitol mob — voted to back Paul and Trump, who has reached out to senators directly and through intermediaries to marshal support for his defense.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            You know what helps create unity? Concession speeches. Election losers conceding. 147 of them recently voted to overturn a free and fair election in which their guy lost by 7 million votes.

If you are looking for the source of disunity these Republicans seem to skip right over Trump's failure to concede the election (propped up by Cruz and other slimy senior republicans), to Democrats reacting to an attack on the Legislative branch of government.

Don't forget that Biden was advised, IIRC, not to concede under any circumstances. Turn about is fair play, and all that. And if Trump was convinced that he actually did win, if all the dodgy votes etc weren't counted, then what is there too concede? Also, it would be unwise to concede when there are still active cases arguing that parts of the election were corrupted. Lastly, why should Trump or the Republicans feel any obligation to be nice, polite, observe the niceties etc, when the Democrats have spent the last four years doing the opposite?
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

So you'd be fine with Bill Clinton, or Obama, say, being impeached now for something they did while in office?

What the Democrats are doing is unconstitutional according to legal experts. It should be tossed out on that basis alone. No need to hear any evidence.

Or we could just abandon any pretense that the actual Constitution and the law matters....

Comment

It’s sad that Repubs cannot bring themselves to do the right thing and hold Trump to account. They clearly worship him.
                I think I can safely say, nobody on this board "worships" Trump. Every conservative here has said he is dysfunctional. Nice try though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think I can safely say, nobody on this board "worships" Trump. Every conservative here has said he is dysfunctional. Nice try though.
                  I think that's liberal-speak for 'have some approval and admiration for someone who thinks differently than me'. I find it's best if I read firstfloor's posts after sieving out all the hyperbole and exaggeration. Of course, that usually leaves almost no actual content, but what can ya do?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

So you'd be fine with Bill Clinton, or Obama, say, being impeached now for something they did while in office?

What the Democrats are doing is unconstitutional according to legal experts. It should be tossed out on that basis alone. No need to hear any evidence.

Or we could just abandon any pretense that the actual Constitution and the law matters....
                    The left has always been big on show trials. The same with enemies lists and "reeducation."

They're just doing what comes natural to them.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That simply shows the hatred of the left, that they would spew forth such rank stupidity.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That simply shows the hatred of the left, that they would spew forth such rank stupidity.
                        Considering how many worshipped the Obamessiah they are likely projecting. Or just following their Scripture, Alinsky's Rules for Radicals -- accuse your opponents of what you're doing.

Comment

Liberals seems to equate "lack of rampant condemnation" with "worship".
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

FYI - I started this thread because Nancy Pelosi believes that this second impeachment of Trump will assist in unifying the nation.

The woman is (IMO) insane.
                            Where has she said that?
                            America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Liberals seems to equate "lack of rampant condemnation" with "worship".
                              EGGzackly ---- if you do not absolutely hate Trump, then you are a Trumpster.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                                Where has she said that?
                                Nancy Pelosi: It Would Be ‘Harmful To Unity’ To Skip Trump Impeachment Trial

Declaring that dropping impeachment "would be harmful to unity" indicates that she thinks that the impeachment would benefit unity.

Comment