Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment #2: The Unity Impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Since they owed it to him, as their better, for coming down and doing what they are too helpless to do

One of them, to his credit, took this guy aside and explained, very politely, "look, I'm here having breakfast with these guys to encourage them - I have a Masters in psychology, and most of these guys leave here and go to WORK, because of jobs we helped them obtain".

The white dude had talked to them like he thought they were all unemployed and "down on their luck". It was priceless.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I see both sides of the impeachment debate and find myself on the fence still leaning impeach. I think this article adequately sums up why I lean impeachment.

Did Trump know what was about to happen Jan. 6?

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal...o-happen-jan-6

Prosecutors have the tools to obtain that information.

They should consider these leads:
      • Inside complicity? The Capitol invaders seemed to know exactly where to find Democratic leaders’ offices. In the days before, Republican Congressional representatives and aides were apparently giving tours of the Capitol, rare because of COVID restrictions. If the tours were requested to surveil, and the House members authorizing the tours knew, what communication — if any — did and of them have with the White House or with people in Trump’s orbit?
      • Massive communications — apparently organizational — took place on rightwing websites prior to the rally. Donald Trump, Jr., Stephen Miller, and others close to the president cater to and follow similar, if not the same, fringe sites. What did they know about Jan. 6, and what did they communicate to the president?
      • Trump confidantes Steve Bannon, Roger Stone, and Michael Flynn were involved in promoting the rally. Bannon predicted the day before that “all hell is going to break loose.” Trump campaign aides and fundraisers were involved in the rally’s organizing. The rally permit of Women First, a major organizer and funder, listed multiple Trump staffers as rally managers or VIPs. All were Trump or GOP veterans — not “grassroots” people; the Trump campaign had paid them $2.7 million over the previous two years. What did these people know? What did they communicate to others before the event?
      • Trump told rally-goers he would march to the Capitol with them, but instead returned to the White House. Why? Did he know or expect violence was likely to occur? Emails and text messages of his close associates and the organizers should be reviewed.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
        I see both sides of the impeachment debate and find myself on the fence still leaning impeach. I think this article adequately sums up why I lean impeachment.

Did Trump know what was about to happen Jan. 6?

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal...o-happen-jan-6

But the fact remains that the PURPOSE for impeachment - the remedy it is to provide - is to remove somebody from office. This won't do that. He's already OUT of office.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But the fact remains that the PURPOSE for impeachment - the remedy it is to provide - is to remove somebody from office. This won't do that. He's already OUT of office.
          No argument there, but we are in uncharted territory. According to the Independent:

Trump would not automatically be barred from running for office again, since another vote would have to be taken up. That one does not require a two-thirds vote, but simply a majority. We all know Trump’s style of “campaigning” by now — and that it doesn’t stop even when he’s in office. For that reason, the possibility of him returning to office could be disastrous.
          I won't say I advocate it. I'm just saying I understand it more now. Bill Clinton was uncharted territory, too, and soon would have been out of office, too.

Comment

• [QUOTE=whag;n1233459]

No argument there, but we are in uncharted territory. [;/quote]

Which requires more caution - not setting bad precedents.

According to the Independent:

I won't say I advocate it. I'm just saying I understand it more now. Bill Clinton was uncharted territory, too, and soon would have been out of office, too.
            Bill Clinton, in my opinion, was prosecuted for the wrong reasons. I believe that was also bad precedent.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Cow Poke;n1233466]
              Originally posted by whag View Post

No argument there, but we are in uncharted territory. [;/quote]

Which requires more caution - not setting bad precedents.

Bill Clinton, in my opinion, was prosecuted for the wrong reasons. I believe that was also bad precedent.
              You’re probably right. Bad precedent upon bad precedent. That sounds consistent with a civilization that’s running down.

Comment

• [QUOTE=whag;n1233487]
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You’re probably right. Bad precedent upon bad precedent. That sounds consistent with a civilization that’s running down.
                I really think Joe could have proven to be a great statement by making a speech that condemns Trump's actions, but refuses to go down the road of revenge, spending untold hours and millions of dollars on a prosecution that would go nowhere and prevent them from doing "the people's business" or some such hooey. :smijle:

Comment

• [QUOTE=Cow Poke;n1233489]
                  Originally posted by whag View Post

I really think Joe could have proven to be a great statement by making a speech that condemns Trump's actions, but refuses to go down the road of revenge, spending untold hours and millions of dollars on a prosecution that would go nowhere and prevent them from doing "the people's business" or some such hooey. :smijle:
                  It certainly couldn't have hurt. Interestingly, before the invasion, Biden said he wouldn't go after Trump:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...in/6419769002/

"I will not do what this president does and use the Justice Department as my vehicle to insist that something happened," Biden told NBC News' Lester Holt in an interview Tuesday.

"What I'm focused on is getting the American public back at a place where they have some certainty, some surety, some knowledge that they can make it," the president-elect said.
                  It would have been nice if Biden stuck with that, but then something extraordinary happened that no one could have predicted. *cough*

Comment

It certainly couldn't have hurt. Interestingly, before the invasion, Biden said he wouldn't go after Trump:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...in/6419769002/

It would have been nice if Biden stuck with that, but then something extraordinary happened that no one could have predicted. *cough*
                    Yeah, so Joe would have gone from being a statesman to an EXTRAORDINARY statesman by calling for "cooler heads to prevail".

I honestly don't think he or his team have it in them.

Comment

Andrew Johnson's impeachment was probably bad precedent as well. It was mainly due to his attempt and inability to follow Lincoln's reconciliation plan, and not working well with Congress. From my understanding, his impeachment was the result of his obnoxious personality and stubbornness - but no "high crimes and misdemeanors."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        FYI - I started this thread because Nancy Pelosi believes that this second impeachment of Trump will assist in unifying the nation.

The woman is (IMO) insane.
                        I really don't get the daftness of whoever is driving the course of President Trump's impeachment.

When asked to delay the trial to give the defendant time to prepare defenses etc.... they just keep on rushing forward. No interest there in the tenets of justice.

Before the trials of some of Capitol Intruders they've rushed on ahead with an 'incitement to insurrection' charge.

For instance, Jake Angeli the now World famous shaman is reported to be indicted/charged with violent entry and disorderly conduct. So one could figure out that charges against President Trump would reflect those resulting actions......violent entry and disorderly conduct. Other intruders did commit criminal damage but the President didn't appeal to his supporters to smash the place up, so.....

The impeachment should fail because the charge doesn't reflect the actions of those who intruded upon the Capitol.

The five deaths are most saddening but President Trump didn't call upon the people to commit manslaughter.

This is not a bright move by the Democrats, imo. Let's see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

I really don't get the daftness of whoever is driving the course of President Trump's impeachment.

When asked to delay the trial to give the defendant time to prepare defenses etc.... they just keep on rushing forward. No interest there in the tenets of justice.

Before the trials of some of Capitol Intruders they've rushed on ahead with an 'incitement to insurrection' charge.

For instance, Jake Angeli the now World famous shaman is reported to be indicted/charged with violent entry and disorderly conduct. So one could figure out that charges against President Trump would reflect those resulting actions......violent entry and disorderly conduct. Other intruders did commit criminal damage but the President didn't appeal to his supporters to smash the place up, so.....

The impeachment should fail because the charge doesn't reflect the actions of those who intruded upon the Capitol.

The five deaths are most saddening but President Trump didn't call upon the people to commit manslaughter.

This is not a bright move by the Democrats, imo. Let's see what happens.
                          If we had an honest press made up of actual journalists instead of pinko commie news readers and gossip spreaders, this would never fly. They are, however, aiding and abetting this sham.

Comment

No argument there, but we are in uncharted territory. According to the Independent:

Clinton still had two years of his term to go so being "soon to be out of office" is not correct. Moreover, Trump IS out of office. That changes everything.

It really is that simple.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Not to mention that it was a direct violation of the rules for impeachment that the House itself had established.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If we had an honest press made up of actual journalists instead of pinko commie news readers and gossip spreaders, this would never fly. They are, however, aiding and abetting this sham.
                                Three little words explain it.

Tee. Dee. Ess.

Comment