Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can unity happen if the left doesn't come to terms with its behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

If you focus on the politicians, you neglect alot of bad behavior. This is more than just biden, pelosi, aoc. This is average people, angry, hatefult, violent. Pelosi didn't riot in the streets, but liberals and BLM did, supported by mass amounts of the base at large.
    In every situation, there needs to arise a statesman calling for unity. Who, in your opinion, can that be?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you focus on the politicians, you neglect alot of bad behavior. This is more than just biden, pelosi, aoc. This is average people, angry, hatefult, violent. Pelosi didn't riot in the streets, but liberals and BLM did, supported by mass amounts of the base at large.
      As well as a lot of shielding from the MSM (which is undeniably part and parcel with the left) which insisted on characterizing everything as "largely peaceful protests" even while literally standing in front of a building set ablaze in a city where over 1500 businesses were destroyed by rioting.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In every situation, there needs to arise a statesman calling for unity. Who, in your opinion, can that be?
        You miss the point though. The call for unity has happened. Can unity be achieved if one group of people, who actively participated in dragging the country apart, don't actually reflect on the part that they played?

Comment

You miss the point though.
          So, break it down...

The call for unity has happened.
          By whom, and how?

Can unity be achieved if one group of people, who actively participated in dragging the country apart, don't actually reflect on the part that they played?
          I'll wait for you to elaborate on whatever point you think I missed --- and I mean that sincerely, not being difficult.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's about whether the left can reflect on their angry, hateful, violent rhetoric, their violent antics, their excusing of violence, and whether, without that reflection, unity can be achieved.
            Sadly we have seen here on Tweb that it is not possible to achieve unity, because posters on the left here can't see their own behaviour. I don't expect it will be any different when you extrapolate it out to the whole world.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So, break it down...

By whom, and how?
              Biden made the call for unity. https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'll wait for you to elaborate on whatever point you think I missed --- and I mean that sincerely, not being difficult.
              Regardless of the call though, many on the left (for example Starlight ) refuse to actually reflect on how their own behavior added to that disunity. For them, Trump caused it all, and with Trump gone, the only ones who have to unify are conservatives. Meanwhile, many of those people are still angry, bitter, disrespectful, hateful, etc. towards others. They are still calling conservatives Nazi's, they are still painting them as bad guys, etc.

Can change in behavior happen if reflection does not? If behavior doesn't change, can unity happen? Can the country heal and unite if a group of people that has been acting badly refuse to reflect on their own bad behavior.

The answer to those questions, contrary to how Starlight posted, does not depend on whether the other side is worse. That's a deflection technique designed to avoid reflecting on behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

How is there "disassociation" in that statement? How is unification possible without having a core set of principles to unite behind? And when faced with law-breaking on a grand scale, why it is inappropriate to demand accountability with the recognition that no one is above the law?
                So basically your idea of "unity" is everyone thinking alike and eliminating any errant thinkers?

Comment

Ah, but when a Liberal calls for unity, it simply means "everybody must think like us, agree with us, back us...." Kinda like "bipartisanship" means "you guys agree with our side".

And you can't appeal for unity while whacking the other guy on the head.

Regardless of the call though, many on the left (for example Starlight ) refuse to actually reflect on how their own behavior added to that disunity. For them, Trump caused it all, and with Trump gone, the only ones who have to unify are conservatives. Meanwhile, many of those people are still angry, bitter, disrespectful, hateful, etc. towards others. They are still calling conservatives Nazi's, they are still painting them as bad guys, etc.

Can change in behavior happen if reflection does not? If behavior doesn't change, can unity happen? Can the country heal and unite if a group of people that has been acting badly refuse to reflect on their own bad behavior.

The answer to those questions, contrary to how Starlight posted, does not depend on whether the other side is worse. That's a deflection technique designed to avoid reflecting on behavior.
                  I don't believe there's the least little bit of desire by the left to reflect on anything they did, because they believe they're right and everybody else is wrong.

Comment

Biden made the call for unity. https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

For the record, you realize Starlight is not a US Citizen, and just a political tourist? I think he has no desire to reflect on anything he says or thinks, because he not only has contempt for Republicans, but also for Christians and anybody who's not a lefty.

So, is this thread, in actuality, a callout thread for Starlight?

Comment

For the record, you realize Starlight is not a US Citizen, and just a political tourist? I think he has no desire to reflect on anything he says or thinks, because he not only has contempt for Republicans, but also for Christians and anybody who's not a lefty.

So, is this thread, in actuality, a callout thread for Starlight?
                      Oh, I realize it, but at the same time, his behavior isn't that different than others I've interacted with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Established. So Trump believes what he said about the election.
                        That does not automatically make his belief true.

You are free to peruse this discussion board where I have stated my case a zillion times. But this is sidetracking.
                        I have no wish to derail this thread.

Now you are playing psychologist, declaring "delusion" when it suits your fancy.

Besides, are "delusion" and "lying" synonymous?
                        If someone persists in promulgating and believing an untruth in the face of evidence that it is an untruth [e.g. the person who persistently insists the moon landings were faked] then, yes such a position is peddling a lie and is delusional.

No, you say that because your answer to the question will defeat your cause. It is exactly what an attorney would ask in court. "Did my client ask anyone to commit a crime?"
                        Would you use the same argument for Hitler? "Where did my client issue a written order to exterminate the Jews"?

So what's your point?
                        My point is that we have to wait and see. I suspect it will be highly unlikely that Trump will gain the Republican nomination for any future presidential election.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          That does not automatically make his belief true.

I have no wish to derail this thread.

If someone persists in promulgating and believing an untruth in the face of evidence that it is an untruth [e.g. the person who persistently insists the moon landings were faked] then, yes such a position is peddling a lie and is delusional.

Would you use the same argument for Hitler? "Where did my client issue a written order to exterminate the Jews"?

My point is that we have to wait and see. I suspect it will be highly unlikely that Trump will gain the Republican nomination for any future presidential election.
                          Again, this discussion is off topic, take it elsewhere

Comment

And I believe that would be up to the head of their party - Joe Biden - who is not mentally competent, IMOHBAO, to give that guidance.
                            So, no ---- Nancy and Chuck are probably calling the shots, and there is ZERO desire for reconciliation.

I believe they see this as a two-year window to totally seize power and never have another Republican POTUS, House or Senate.
                            Sounds like another trumpian or Q conspirarcy theories.........

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Sounds like another trumpian or Q conspirarcy theories.........
                              I suppose those looking hard enough for such will find them.

Comment

I suppose those looking hard enough for such will find them.
                                I'm not looking at all but some things are painfully obvious :+}

Comment