Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can unity happen if the left doesn't come to terms with its behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Thread is getting off topic, this is not about Trumps behavior and whether he did or did not incite a riot.

Its about whether or not unity can happen if the left does not acknowledge and try to reform it's own bad behavior. So far, the only posts from those on "the left" here, are trying to deflect to Trump instead of looking at their own side's behavior. Do not enable that behavior.
    I don't think it's possible for the left to realize their part - I think they're 100% convinced they're in the right. There needs to be that introspection, and it's blocked by revenge.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

Another left-leaning 'think tank'.

Can you also provide a source with the same data, where the founder and leaders are ex Republican officials, instead of ex-Bill Clinton appointees? You know, just to show you're balanced.

Don't enable his distraction post. This isn't about who is worse, It's about the fact that the left engaged in bad behavior, and whether unity can happen if they don't actually reflect and engage with it. His post is an example of trying to avoid that reflection and engagement.

Comment

Simple question.

The left over the last 4 years has engaged in a wide array of hateful, angry, violent rhetoric. They celebrated whenever a person they deemed toxic was deplatformed. Their angry rhetoric likely led to the attempted mass assassination attempt at the congressional baseball game practice. They've painted the entire other side as Nazi's, while having a debate about whether it was OK to "punch a nazi". Confrontations between protesters were cheered as good guys vs bad guys (conservatives). Over the summer, they rioted, with many blaming Trump for the riots, or excusing, justifying, minimizing, or rationalizing the violence.

All of this is to say that the left didn't stay above the fray, they willingly jumped right into it, and played deep in the mud as much as they wanted.

What about the right? I hear you asking. Shouldn't you be asking about them?

The answer is NO. I shouldn't. The Right lost the election. The winners of the election are going to make sure that those who lost are reminded of their bad behavior. They are going to be reminded time and time again at how bad Trump was, and therefore how bad they were to be conservatvie when trump was there. Their bad behavior is going to be acknowledged.

The left's though? Time and time again, it's been shown that their behavior rarely gets examined closely. Even now, bringing up the summer riots gets dismissed.

To answer the OP, no, it can't. And I don't see any sign of the left moderating their attacks.

Thus the future looks like it holds more extremes, on both sides. For some, the lesson of the last four years has been that winning is all that matters. The lesson has been that rules, politeness, laws, and institutions are all worthless because they are either ignored when inconvenient, or so biased and corrupted that they can't be trusted. I think that that is what an increasing number of people who used to be 'conservatives' believe. The GOP is ineffective at best, faithless at worst. So what's left? It will be no surprise if violence becomes increasingly seen as a more reasonable way - perhaps the only way - to get one's voice heard.

...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Don't enable his distraction post. This isn't about who is worse, It's about the fact that the left engaged in bad behavior, and whether unity can happen if they don't actually reflect and engage with it. His post is an example of trying to avoid that reflection and engagement.
          I remember all the complaints about Trump being "divisive" after his election... Even then, I thought that was just leftist speak for 'He wants to do some of the things his voters want him to, rather than roll over to leftist programs'. Now Biden's President, however long he lasts, and there's not any serious effort to bring about unity and reconciliation, or find common ground with the sizeable chunk of people who voted for Trump rather than Biden. No surprise.

All the left does, lately, is make it clear that nothing they say means anything to them.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            I would suggest that consistently repeating a lie led to a large number people believing that lie. That in turn prompted a swathe of those people to take action to prevent what they believed was taking place from taking place.
            I agree, the riots perpetrated by Antifa and Black Lives Matter over the past several years and are currently happening now in Seattle, Portland, Denver, and other cities are a serious issue. I wonder if China Joe will see fit to send troops to deal with it? Or is their only purpose to occupy Washington DC and feed his ego?

"I'm a real president, dang it, and I have the guns to prove it!"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Trump believes the election was rigged in certain swing states. I agree with that assessment. His belief is a "lie"? Are you accusing me of lying too? What is your definition of a lie?

Did Trump ask anyone to storm the capitol?

That's grasping for straws. I'm a registered Libertarian and I voted for him, as I am sure many Democrats did too.

Face it, this impeachment and Pelosi's twisted view of reality (as well as her anger about her office being soiled by a hillbilly) is driving her away from reason.

Trump didn't make an assessment, that gives him too much credit. It was a lie, one of his little conspiracies. There is no proof and if any assert this, they either participate in the lie, the unfounded conspiracy or are delusional. I trust it is the latter since we would hate to call anyone a liar.

No trump didn't ask anyone, he directed them to storm the capital.

They were right to impeach trump a 2nd time and as she has shown, Pelosi was not the mad one with a twisted view of reality, it was the now former (thank god) president.

I don't know if the guy in her office was a hillbilly but he was an insurrectionist and committed crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Trump didn't make an assessment, that gives him too much credit. It was a lie, one of his little conspiracies. There is no proof and if any assert this, they either participate in the lie, the unfounded conspiracy or are delusional. I trust it is the latter since we would hate to call anyone a liar.

No trump didn't ask anyone, he directed them to storm the capital.

They were right to impeach trump a 2nd time and as she has shown, Pelosi was not the mad one with a twisted view of reality, it was the now former (thank god) president.

I don't know if the guy in her office was a hillbilly but he was an insurrectionist and committed crimes.

Again, This is not about trump or the capitol riots. Take that elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  TNT_Graphics_Web-01.jpg
                  (from here)

Given the right-wing were responsible for >90% of the terrorist plots against the US in 2020 (and the majority in the last ~25 years), and given there are currently ~26,000 troops deployed to defend the capital against right-wingers...

Your thread trying to pretend left-wingers are the ones who need to come to terms with their behavior is hilarious.
                  One of the biggest problems with those statistics, as has been pointed out to you previously, is that many terroristic actions by the left are often not treated as being acts of terrorism but rather dismissed as simple crimes.

When a supporter of BLM shot and killed five police officers (wounding seven more along with two civilians) during a BLM protest in Dallas[1], it was dismissed as a regular crime. When another one ambushes and kills two sitting in their car in New York[2], it was again regarded as a regular crime.

Likewise, when a shooter entered the Family Research Council's Washington D.C. headquarters in 2012 and opening fire (because the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) had put them on their list of anti-gay "hate groups"), wounding one before being tackled by a security guard, it was regarded as a regular crime but when another idiot entered Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria also in D.C. brandishing a rifle and shooting "through the lock of a closet, damaging a computer" and where nobody was injured (because of a false internet rumor they were part of a child sex trafficking ring) that was deemed to be part of a terrorist conspiracy.

1. the shooter had declared that he had wanted to kill white people, especially white officers and his Facebook page showed that he supported the New Black Panther Party. During the standoff he told police negotiators that "he was upset about Black Lives Matter"

2. the shooter himself made the connection clear posting on Instagram right before he stood outside the patrol car and fired his weapon several times through the front passenger window, striking both Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos (who were working overtime as part of an anti-terrorism drill) in the neck and head.

Immediately after, in Ferguson when news of the NYPD slayings hit, BLM protesters celebrated by chanting "Pigs in a blanket!" And this also took place shortly after a protest down Fifth Avenue in NYC where they were chanting "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now." ETA:
                  My apologies.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 01-22-2021, 09:38 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    One of the biggest problems with those statistics, as has been pointed out to you previously, is that many terroristic actions by the left are often not treated as being acts of terrorism but rather dismissed as simple crimes.

When a supporter of BLM shot and killed five police officers (wounding seven more along with two civilians) during a BLM protest in Dallas[1], it was dismissed as a regular crime. When another one ambushes and kills two sitting in their car in New York[2], it was again regarded as a regular crime.

Likewise, when a shooter entered the Family Research Council's Washington D.C. headquarters in 2012 and opening fire (because the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) had put them on their list of anti-gay "hate groups"), wounding one before being tackled by a security guard, it was regarded as a regular crime but when another idiot entered Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria also in D.C. brandishing a rifle and shooting "through the lock of a closet, damaging a computer" and where nobody was injured (because of a false internet rumor they were part of a child sex trafficking ring) that was deemed to be part of a terrorist conspiracy.

1. the shooter had declared that he had wanted to kill white people, especially white officers and his Facebook page showed that he supported the New Black Panther Party. During the standoff he told police negotiators that "he was upset about Black Lives Matter"

2. the shooter himself made the connection clear posting on Instagram right before he stood outside the patrol car and fired his weapon several times through the front passenger window, striking both Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos (who were working overtime as part of an anti-terrorism drill) in the neck and head.
                    Immediately after, in Ferguson when news of the NYPD slayings hit, BLM protesters celebrated by chanting "Pigs in a blanket!" And this also took place shortly after a protest down Fifth Avenue in NYC where they were chanting "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now."

Please take this discussion elsewhere.

Comment

Again, This is not about trump or the capitol riots. Take that elsewhere.
                      ok if you say it is off track, back on track
                      Last edited by thormas; 01-22-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

So this is pretty much related on whether Joe has it in him to be a statesman. Or should I take that elsewhere, as well?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So this is pretty much related on whether Joe has it in him to be a statesman. Or should I take that elsewhere, as well?
                          It's about whether the left can reflect on their angry, hateful, violent rhetoric, their violent antics, their excusing of violence, and whether, without that reflection, unity can be achieved.

Comment

It's about whether the left can reflect on their angry, hateful, violent rhetoric, their violent antics, their excusing of violence, and whether, without that reflection, unity can be achieved.
                            And I believe that would be up to the head of their party - Joe Biden - who is not mentally competent, IMOHBAO, to give that guidance.
                            So, no ---- Nancy and Chuck are probably calling the shots, and there is ZERO desire for reconciliation.

I believe they see this as a two-year window to totally seize power and never have another Republican POTUS, House or Senate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And I believe that would be up to the head of their party - Joe Biden - who is not mentally competent, IMOHBAO, to give that guidance.
                              So, no ---- Nancy and Chuck are probably calling the shots, and there is ZERO desire for reconciliation.

I believe they see this as a two-year window to totally seize power and never have another Republican POTUS, House or Senate.
                              If you focus on the politicians, you neglect alot of bad behavior. This is more than just biden, pelosi, aoc. This is average people, angry, hatefult, violent. Pelosi didn't riot in the streets, but liberals and BLM did, supported by mass amounts of the base at large.

Comment

Again my apology. I hadn't seen your request when I posted it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment