Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Does MORE FUNDING = Better Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does MORE FUNDING = Better Schools?

Source: KABC Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Should California public school teachers be protected if they aren't effectively doing their jobs? That's the battle unfolding in a local courtroom.

Nine students are suing the state and teachers unions in an effort to get bad teachers out of the classroom. But the unions say tenure and seniority is there to keep talented teachers from leaving for other jobs.

The students say it's unfair that their future is compromised by what they charge in their lawsuit as grossly inefficient teachers.

© Copyright Original Source

One of the teachers in a video story of this argues "the problem is funding - show me a properly funded school and I'll show you an efficient and successful school".

The other side of the coin is that "tenure" makes removal of problem teachers (even convicted sex offenders) extremely difficult and expensive to remove. I only caught the tail end of the video report, but it appeared the head of the Los Angeles Unified School system was comparing the cost of administration to the cost of legal expenses incurred in trying to get rid of 'bad teachers', complaining that a huge part of his school budget was wasted on such litigation.

It's been a long time, but at one time I had a series of studies showing the relationship of funding to "success" in various schools, and it seemed to indicate that more funding was INVERSELY related to better schools.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

OK, and I've seen comparable cost scales for private and parochial schools with nowhere NEAR that incline.

Does anybody wish to defend the premise that the problem in public education is lack of funding?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have strong disagreements with what they tend to do with extra funds. The current thing to do is give kids laptops to use. (Hint: They use them to play games in class.)
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I have strong disagreements with what they tend to do with extra funds. The current thing to do is give kids laptops to use. (Hint: They use them to play games in class.)
          I don't have a problem with the laptops --- it's a whole different world than when I was in school, and they WILL be using laptops (or some more advanced technology) in business when they grow up, so that's reasonable to me.

As for the abuse -- it's incredibly easy to set up the firewall (or additional appliances) to confine network access to proper sites while at school.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I don't have a problem with the laptops --- it's a whole different world than when I was in school, and they WILL be using laptops (or some more advanced technology) in business when they grow up, so that's reasonable to me.

As for the abuse -- it's incredibly easy to set up the firewall (or additional appliances) to confine network access to proper sites while at school.
            Because web games are the only games out there.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Because web games are the only games out there.
              I'm an IT professional -- I can fix your laptop so all you can do is post liberal responses supporting Obamacare.

It's not that hard to prevent a person from installing ANYTHING on a laptop, therefore, the other restriction is web access.

Comment

I'm an IT professional -- I can fix your laptop so all you can do is post liberal responses supporting Obamacare.
                With inexpensive equipment I could remove anything you do to it without even turning it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  With inexpensive equipment I could remove anything you do to it without even turning it on.
                  Well, as long as you don't turn it on, we're good!

Comment

California students file lawsuit to eliminate tenure for bad teachers
                    LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Should California public school teachers be protected if they aren't effectively doing their jobs? That's the battle unfolding in a local courtroom.

Nine students are suing the state and teachers unions in an effort to get bad teachers out of the classroom. But the unions say tenure and seniority is there to keep talented teachers from leaving for other jobs.

The students say it's unfair that their future is compromised by what they charge in their lawsuit as grossly inefficient teachers.

One of the teachers in a video story of this argues "the problem is funding - show me a properly funded school and I'll show you an efficient and successful school".
                    You're welcome.

The other side of the coin is that "tenure" makes removal of problem teachers (even convicted sex offenders) extremely difficult and expensive to remove. I only caught the tail end of the video report, but it appeared the head of the Los Angeles Unified School system was comparing the cost of administration to the cost of legal expenses incurred in trying to get rid of 'bad teachers', complaining that a huge part of his school budget was wasted on such litigation.

It's been a long time, but at one time I had a series of studies showing the relationship of funding to "success" in various schools, and it seemed to indicate that more funding was INVERSELY related to better schools.
                    You've twisted a story about tenure protections into a story about protecting pedophiles.

Well done.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      You've twisted a story about tenure protections into a story about protecting pedophiles.

Well done.

As ever, Jesse
                      Actually, no... you've twisted my OP into an attempt to show I was trying to show something I was not trying to show.

The story I watched on ABC news actually WAS about getting rid of "bad teachers", and it INCLUDED, but was not limited to, sex offenders. I even PARENTHETICALLY included "(even convicted sex offenders)", which was part of the story.

Sheeesh!

Comment

On a more serious note, organized complaints about teacher pay are generally motivated and inspired by creationists looking for a way to remove evolution from public schools, with methods spanning the gamut from shutting down the public schools in favor of less regulated private schools to demonizing public school teachers directly. Linking them to pedophilia may be a new tactic, but it looks to be riding the same bus.

When a Southern Baptist preacher hops on that bandwagon, that's my immediate suspicion anyway. Sorry if that brush splashed you, CP.

Comment

The two go, err, hand in hand.

Comment

On a more serious note, organized complaints about teacher pay are generally motivated and inspired by creationists looking for a way to remove evolution from public schools, with methods spanning the gamut from shutting down the public schools in favor of less regulated private schools to demonizing public school teachers directly.
                            Wow... NONE of that was in the OP, or in my head, or in my experience or background. Nor am I aware of ANY of that in Texas school systems. Do you honestly believe that's the issue in the LOS ANGELES situation, from which the OP comes?

Linking them to pedophilia may be a new tactic, but it looks to be riding the same bus.
                            That was a parenthetical thing, and they didn't say "pedophiles", they were simply talking about sexual misconduct. SURE that implies pedophilia due to the fact that we're talking about teachers (adults) and students (minors) but that was only a TINY part of the story.

When a Southern Baptist preacher hops on that bandwagon, that's my immediate suspicion anyway. Sorry if that brush splashed you, CP.
                            I think it was crass and ignorant to jump to that conclusion, Jesse.

Comment

I think it was crass and ignorant to jump to that conclusion, Jesse.
                              Next time, I won't apologize.

Comment