Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Does MORE FUNDING = Better Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore Lao, he has a good racket going, and if some kiddies get diddled, hey, at least he got his.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Next time, I won't apologize.
      Wait... THAT was an APOLOGY!?!?!

you mean THIS?
      When a Southern Baptist preacher hops on that bandwagon, that's my immediate suspicion anyway. Sorry if that brush splashed you, CP.
      You imply I "hopped on 'that' bandwagon", then...

Let's go back to ... what bandwagon was I "hopping on", Jesse?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let's PLEASE return to the OP.....

I think there are two main issues....

1) A school administrator complains that it's almost impossible to get rid of bad teachers... some of the examples he gave were teachers who don't show up for class, teachers who repeatedly show up late, teachers who are not prepared with lesson plans, teachers who can't maintain discipline in the classroom, and, in an apparent effort to show the EXTREMITY of the problem, adds "even convicted sex offenders". This example involved hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on litigation defending the school district from wrongful termination suits filed by a convicted sex offender FROM PRISON. (his example, not mine)

2) In an apparent attempt to show "the other side", the local TV station interviewed a couple of teachers, one of whom laid the problem on inadequate funding.

Part of the administrator's complaint was that if they weren't spending so much money defending lawsuits from teachers they had to let go, they could spend more on education.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When my "suspicion" is turned into a "conclusion" and my "sorry" is called "crass and ignorant," why on earth do you think I'd want to continue engaging, CP? We're at the "Your mother dresses you funny" stage, and I don't have time for that. Feel free to carry on without me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Let's PLEASE return to the OP.....

1) A school administrator complains that it's almost impossible to get rid of bad teachers... some of the examples he gave were teachers who don't show up for class, teachers who repeatedly show up late, teachers who are not prepared with lesson plans
            Blame the unions

teachers who can't maintain discipline in the classroom
            It depends. Some of bad class discipline is surely due to a lenient school discipline policy.

Comment

When my "suspicion" is turned into a "conclusion" and my "sorry" is called "crass and ignorant," why on earth do you think I'd want to continue engaging, CP? We're at the "Your mother dresses you funny" stage, and I don't have time for that. Feel free to carry on without me.
              No, I apologize, Jesse. I was truly amazed that you saw "pedophilia" as even an "important" part of this story. Not only was I quoting (paraphrasing) the administrator, I wasn't even adding my own opinion on that.

I overreacted to your post, plain and simple. And if the apology is still there, I accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                Blame the unions
                I think that cuts to the heart of the problem, quite honestly.

It depends. Some of bad class discipline is surely due to a lenient school discipline policy.
                Agreed -- but I think the implication was (and I could be wrong) that some teachers had far more discipline problems with the same students that other teachers seemed capable of managing.

When I was teaching Junior High, we had one female teacher who jumped up on the desk and screamed at her students, demanding they respect her. When they got to my class, that's all they wanted to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I have strong disagreements with what they tend to do with extra funds. The current thing to do is give kids laptops to use. (Hint: They use them to play games in class.)
                  Yeah,but some/most of us still get the work done.
                  "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                  "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Does more funding lead to better schools? It depends. I don't know if any of y'all care for a libertarian perspective. I would be glad to explain, though.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Just one element to the overall picture, but I personally have a hard time with the notion that teacher salaries are driving away too many good teachers when mean teacher salary around here is nearly twice what I make.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Because web games are the only games out there.
                        You could whitelist the programs the kids are allowed to use and block any others, or block the Multiplayer ports of popular games.
                        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                          You could whitelist the programs the kids are allowed to use and block any others, or block the Multiplayer ports of popular games.
                          If you're gonna render the laptop unusable for anything other than schoolwork you might as well buy desktops and save some money.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                            Just one element to the overall picture, but I personally have a hard time with the notion that teacher salaries are driving away too many good teachers when mean teacher salary around here is nearly twice what I make.
                            Yeah, I don't think it's so much "driving away good teachers" as it is the teacher's union preventing the school district from getting rid of the bad apples. So, that's actually a good point --- FIRE the bad teachers, and hire those who are willing to do the job!

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                              I'll see if I can dig up the source for it, but I heard a report where they dropped iPads to kids in Africa who didn't speak English and couldn't read. Within a few weeks, the kids had hacked the iPad and written new (better) programs to help their parents learn to read. As my mother is wont to say, "where there's a will, there's a way."

ETA:
                              Ok, I had some of the details wrong, but here is the story: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/1...opian-kids.php
                              Last edited by Carrikature; 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                                I know of at least one study that showed the higher the salary, the worse the new teacher tends to be. IIRC that was for PUBLIC education. Of course home schooling doesn't have a problem like that.
                                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment