Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fox News Purge Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Would anybody believe that poll? Perhaps somebody should poll that.
    Polls remind me of that game show Family Feud, where they "polled a previous studio audience" to get their results. That one select group of people, who had the personalities to want to go to a game show, gave their answers. Does that represent the general population? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Polls remind me of that game show Family Feud, where they "polled a previous studio audience" to get their results. That one select group of people, who had the personalities to want to go to a game show, gave their answers. Does that represent the general population? I don't think so.
      Pretty much, yes... and my daughter was taking a course in PoliSci, and they had a whole unit on polling, and how to get the results you want.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        We've seen this with the QAnon phenomena. A significant proportion of the Republican base chose to believe every conspiracy theory that existed combined, and reject all rationality, facts, media etc.
        WHAT??? Are you seriously suggesting the international cabal of bloodsucking pedophile Satan worshiping vampire swamp elites who are using tunnels under Washington pizza shops to rape, torture, murder, and eat newborn infants is fake??? Come on, do you think I'm an idiot???
        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

If they just feed the audience what it wants, dog food in this case, it’s no longer news, it’s propaganda.

Stop eating dog food.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            If they just feed the audience what it wants, dog food in this case, it’s no longer news, it’s propaganda.

Stop eating dog food.
            Stop pooping in my thread --- you have nothing of value to contribute here, so run along.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Would anybody believe that poll? Perhaps somebody should poll that.
              The only poll that matters is the poll taken on election day. In this last Presidential election, that vote was decisive.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

The only poll that matters is the poll taken on election day. In this last Presidential election, that vote was decisive.
                The polls taken from suitcases beneath tables behind floor-length tablecloths where no irregularities took place? Yeah, "decisive."

Comment

Pretty much, yes... and my daughter was taking a course in PoliSci, and they had a whole unit on polling, and how to get the results you want.
                  My personal example is a phone poll I participated in some years ago which consisted of three questions:

1) Are you in favor of raising taxes on personal income?
                  2) Are you in favor of raising taxes on business income?
                  3) Are you more in favor of raising taxes on personal income, or business income?

As you can see, no matter how one answers the poll, it can be construed that the majority of respondents are in favor of some sort of tax increase.

I answered no, no, and neither but was told that "neither" was not an acceptable answer to the third question. When I insisted that my answer be recorded as given, I was informed that none of my answers would be recorded if I didn't answer with one of the two options, and that was pretty much the end of the call.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That's ridiculous - if it was the ONLY poll that matters, we wouldn't be having constant polling, would we?

Comment

The polls taken from suitcases beneath tables behind floor-length tablecloths where no irregularities took place? Yeah, "decisive."
                      Or a sudden dump of tens of thousands of Biden votes (and only Biden votes) in the dead of night that flipped solid Trump leads to a slim Biden leads (we saw this happen in real time on CNN when a number of counties suddenly flipped from red to blue leaving the analysts staring in stunned silence as they tried to figure out what had just happened).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Or a sudden dump of tens of thousands of Biden votes (and only Biden votes) in the dead of night that flipped solid Trump leads to a slim Biden leads (we saw this happen in real time on CNN when a number of counties suddenly flipped from red to blue leaving the analysts staring in stunned silence as they tried to figure out what had just happened).
                        Is this The Kraken or was Dominion The Kraken?

Comment

Conspiracy theories do not count.
                          The Trump administration failed in its claims of massive irregularities and outright fraud in 60+ court cases before 90 judges.

Seems pretty decisive to me, and to the rest of the world.
                          Last edited by kccd; 01-23-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

That's ridiculous - if it was the ONLY poll that matters, we wouldn't be having constant polling, would we?
                            You think that polls should outweigh election results?
                            Yes, voting is the ONLY poll that matters.

Other polls are done to inform campaigns of the strengths and weakness, to let the public know how the different candidates are doing, to help donors decide how to spend their money and to give news organizations something to report.

Comment

Conspiracy theories do not count.
                              The Trump administration failed in its claims of massive irregularities and outright fraud in 60+ court cases before 90 judges.

Seems pretty decisive to me, and to the rest of the world.
                              I know an "irregularity" when I see it. I don't need a court to validate it for me, they have different criteria to measure by.

And I know statistical improbabilities when I see them.

Comment

I know an "irregularity" when I see it. I don't need a court to validate it for me, they have different criteria to measure by.

And I know statistical improbabilities when I see them.
                                Not to mention the fact that every case was hastily run out of court without any of the evidence ever being given a full and fair hearing.

Comment