Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fox News Purge Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox News Purge Begins

Fox News Purge Begins

As ratings tank amid hostile coverage of former President Donald Trump, Fox News is purging its newsroom in an attempt to salvage the network’s fading brand. Political editor Chris Stirewalt, a NeverTrumper, and several digital editors were fired Tuesday; on Election Night, Stirewalt defended the network’s decision to call Arizona for Joe Biden, a move that infuriated the president and Fox News viewers. (The outcome of Arizona’s election wasn’t finalized until late November.)

“Though the network never backed off its Arizona call, and followed other major news outlets in calling the entire election for Biden days later, Stirewalt soon apparently found himself on the outs at Fox News,” the Daily Beast reported Tuesday. Fired staffers attempted to spin the purge as higher-ups ridding the network’s digital arm of “real journalists” who don’t hold a political agenda. Anonymous ex-employees told the Beast it “was part of the network’s larger effort to pivot its website from straight-news reporting to right-wing opinion content in the mold of Fox’s primetime programming.”

Fox News has been bleeding viewers since November, quickly losing its perch in the cable news rankings. Conservatives have long viewed Fox News as the only channel to offer a counterbalance to the biased cable and network news channels that overwhelmingly mimic the Democratic Party’s company line while vilifying conservatives and Republicans. But its tone and coverage dramatically shifted during Trump’s presidency making it almost indistinguishable from left-leaning competitors such as CNN and MSNBC.

Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace is widely disliked; Martha MacCallum just lost her 7 p.m. show to a rotating cast of hosts. A few days after Election Day, Bret Baier deleted an innocuous tweet promoting his 6PM p.m. show after more than 22,000 people responded to the tweet with harsh criticism of Fox News’ election coverage. Anchor Sandra Smith was forced to clarify an off-mic moment whenafter she mocked one of Trump’s lawyers who correctly pointed out that networks don’t decide presidential elections.

Even the network’s marquee names such as Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity now trail the evening lineups at CNN and MSNBC for the first time in years. Conservative competitors One America News and Newsmax are vying for Fox’s disgruntled viewers.

Bill Sammon, Fox News’ senior vice president and managing editor, announced his retirement Monday. The Washington Post reported that Rupert Murdoch, Fox News’ co-founder and owner of Fox News’ parent company, “has been taking a more active interest in its programming in the wake of the election.” The early call for Arizona, Murdoch told colleagues according to the Post, “caused reputational damage and cemented the view among some Trump supporters that the network is aligned against him.”

But the network needs a major overhaul to win back lost viewers. Fox still retains a stable of neoconservative NeverTrumpers including Jonah Goldberg and Stephen Hayes who are massively out of touch with the Republican Party’s base of support; news programs and opinion shows are desperately in need of fresh faces and voices to communicate the “America First” legacy of Trump’s presidency. Firing Stirewalt is a start to restoring the network’s conservative cred, but Murdoch has his work cut out for him.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

A lot of their viewers are leaving for Newsmax in mass. I've seen this personally where I work; at one point, thousands of calls were coming in a day requesting Newsmax as an alternative to Fox. This was due to anger because Fox called the election for Biden whereas Newsmax was still reporting that it was up in the air for the weeks afterward.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wow. Fox is trying to fix their operations after they missed the most vital window in recent history when honest reporting would have been helpful?

Comment

More and more FOX personalities have started to show open bias. That's why they're being abandoned. People are desperate for unbiased "just the facts" news reporting, which can be distressingly difficult to find these days.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          A lot of their viewers are leaving for Newsmax in mass. I've seen this personally where I work; at one point, thousands of calls were coming in a day requesting Newsmax as an alternative to Fox. This was due to anger because Fox called the election for Biden whereas Newsmax was still reporting that it was up in the air for the weeks afterward.
          I never watched Fox (or much TV news at all) but I do have a shortcut to Newsmax on my pc. I'm not crazy about its obvious pro-Trump bias, but it's just one of many sources to compare with on current news. I definitely wouldn't rely on them solely for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            More and more FOX personalities have started to show open bias. That's why they're being abandoned.
            My wife turned on Fox several years ago, to one of their morning shows, and I watched part of it. Geraldo Rivera was apparently a guest that morning (I was never a fan). Then when another guest challenged Rivera on some point, the host (Brian Kilmeade?) jumped in and said "Geraldo is a friend of ours. Don't you attack him." I wanted to punch the host in the face. My wife got a bit upset when I quickly shut it off. Fox has always been an annoying TV channel.

People are desperate for unbiased "just the facts" news reporting, which can be distressingly difficult to find these days.
            I can't find it anywhere. If anyone spots an unbiased "just the facts" news source, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My wife turned on Fox several years ago, to one of their morning shows, and I watched part of it. Geraldo Rivera was apparently a guest that morning (I was never a fan). Then when another guest challenged Rivera on some point, the host (Brian Kilmeade?) jumped in and said "Geraldo is a friend of ours. Don't you attack him." I wanted to punch the host in the face. My wife got a bit upset when I quickly shut it off. Fox has always been an annoying TV channel.

I can't find it anywhere. If anyone spots an unbiased "just the facts" news source, please let me know.
              I loathe any and all coffee klatsch morning news shows equally.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More and more FOX personalities have started to show open bias. That's why they're being abandoned. People are desperate for unbiased "just the facts" news reporting, which can be distressingly difficult to find these days.
                Absolutely that --- if Fox turned into an honest - "these are the facts" news source, I'd be a fan. Meanwhile, I think it's a bit telling that "the 5" is made up of 4 conservatives and Juan Williams.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Absolutely that --- if Fox turned into an honest - "these are the facts" news source, I'd be a fan. Meanwhile, I think it's a bit telling that "the 5" is made up of 4 conservatives and Juan Williams.
                  That's a reflection of the formula used for decades on the old Sunday talking head programs like Washington Week in Review etc.

They'd have one conservative, three left of centers and one loony tune completely nuts leftist. The idea was to let the conservative and leftist argue and then the other three would present the "reasonable centrist position" (which was always liberal).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

That's a reflection of the formula used for decades on the old Sunday talking head programs like Washington Week in Review etc.

They'd have one conservative, three left of centers and one loony tune completely nuts leftist. The idea was to let the conservative and leftist argue and then the other three would present the "reasonable centrist position" (which was always liberal).
                    Do you remember "the Belway Boys"? Mort Kondracke and Fred Barnes. (I saw Fred on a show last night, and BOY does he look old now )

I enjoyed them, because they really went at it from all directions, but from what I hear, they really were very good friends.

And - Tony Snow -- I REALLY enjoyed him and felt like he was a straight shooter.

Comment

Do you remember "the Belway Boys"? Mort Kondracke and Fred Barnes. (I saw Fred on a show last night, and BOY does he look old now )

I enjoyed them, because they really went at it from all directions, but from what I hear, they really were very good friends.

And - Tony Snow -- I REALLY enjoyed him and felt like he was a straight shooter.
                      Tony Snow was the reason I'd watch their 6:00 news. Brit Hume was alright but he was no Tony Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Tony Snow was the reason I'd watch their 6:00 news. Brit Hume was alright but he was no Tony Snow.
                        Snow just had such a .... "that's the news" kind of presentation in such a... "I'm no big deal" kind of way.

Comment

That's what FOX News started out as. Their slogan was "We report. You decide." I have no idea what their slogan is now.

Comment

That reminds me of an exchange between Data and Admiral (Doctor) McCoy in "Star Trek: The Next Generation":

Data: "Sir, I assumed at your age that you would prefer--"
                            McCoy: "Now hold on! What about my age?"
                            Data: "I'm sorry, sir. If you find the topic of your age troublesome--
                            McCoy: "Troublesome? What's so damn troublesome about not having died!"

Comment

More and more FOX personalities have started to show open bias.That's why they're being abandoned. People are desperate for unbiased "just the facts" news reporting, which can be distressingly difficult to find these days.
                              Fox News has shown open bias for years now. The idea that people are abandoning them because they're becoming biased rings hollow.

From what I can tell, people aren't abandoning Fox News because it's too biased; people are abandoning Fox News because they want news that's even more biased than Fox News is.

Comment