Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Patriot Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriot Party

This seems like a bad idea, Trump floating the idea of a new "Patriot Party". Its existence would only guarantee Democratic victories for the near future. Besides, most of his platform works well within the Libertarian Party (which has gone astray lately). He can join there.

https://www.oann.com/report-presiden...patriot-party/

President Trump appears to be keeping politics on the horizon with talks of forming his own political party.

On Tuesday, reports said the President discussed forming a so-called “Patriot party” with some of his top aides and supporters. Traditionally, third parties have failed to gain steam in challenging both the Democrat and Republican parties. However, due to his large base of supporters and the record number of people who voted for him in 2020, many believe President Trump has what it takes to carry on the movement.

According to Politico, he spent days calling his close advisors to ask what he needs to do to “stay part of the conversation.” In his ‘farewell address,’ the President hinted at his future political career by saying the ‘MAGA movement’ is only just beginning.

I agree, it would just pull voters away from the GOP and guarantee a Democrat win. As far as the Libertarian party, they are all over the place. From conservatives to anarchists.

Comment

I think Trump could pull the Libertarian Party together. He agrees with 95% of its platform already, and the remaining 5% is wrongheaded anyway and he could eject it or ignore it.

But better than starting a new party, this way he could absorb those who are already Libertarians. That would be better than starting from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        This seems like a bad idea...
        No poop!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The question is, will everybody who voted for President Trump in November follow him into a new party? Because that's a significant number of people, and I know a lot of conservatives have been very disenchanted with the Republican party.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The question is, will everybody who voted for President Trump in November follow him into a new party? I know a lot of conservatives have been very disenchanted with the Republican party.
            Someone would need to do some major number crunching to find out. How many never-Trumper Republicans are there out there? How many RINOs? They are intransient and loyal to the party name.

Comment

Someone would need to do some major number crunching to find out. How many never-Trumper Republicans are there out there? How many RINOs? They are intransient and loyal to the party name.
              I wouldn't follow him to a new party. Exactly what would this new party offer that the GOP doesn't already have on their platform? Trump? Never cared for him personally. Besides if they impeach him again he can't even run.

Comment

The question is, will everybody who voted for President Trump in November follow him into a new party? Because that's a significant number of people, and I know a lot of conservatives have been very disenchanted with the Republican party.
                Probably not. At the risk of being declared a heretic, Trump's time has passed. Even if he does start a new party, it will fade into irrelevance when he dies.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Probably not. At the risk of being declared a heretic, Trump's time has passed. Even if he does start a new party, it will fade into irrelevance when he dies.
                  It seems, of late, people vote more "against" a candidate than for their own. Often, "I held my nose and voted for.....".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Such is the fate of all former presidents.

But we do desperately need more viable choices than simply Republican or Democrat
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Such is the fate of all former presidents.

But we do desperately need more viable choices than simply Republican or Democrat
                      The Pirate Party!

Comment

I would not follow Trump to a different party. I didn't support him during the primary, and my loyalty didn't shift to him above party during his presidency.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It seems, of late, people vote more "against" a candidate than for their own. Often, "I held my nose and voted for.....".
                          That pretty well describes my voting at the state and national level for the past few elections.

May be we don't need new parties as much as new candidates.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Since I am not Republican and I am disenchanted with the Libertarian Party of late, I would probably register with a new Patriot Party (knowing it may only be temporary). Trump's anti globalist/anti militarist, America First policies were nearly identical to my own sensibilities. That wouldn't mean I'd be obligated to vote for whatever candidate arose in that party, but my registration would show some support.

Comment

Since I am not Republican and I am disenchanted with the Libertarian Party of late, I would probably register with a new Patriot Party (knowing it may only be temporary). Trump's anti globalist/anti militarist, America First policies were nearly identical to my own sensibilities. That wouldn't mean I'd be obligated to vote for whatever candidate arose in that party, but my registration would show some support.
                              I still think we basically vote to keep "the other guy" out of office, not necessarily to put our own in - so even if there were multiple parties, it may end up being the typical "my enemy's enemy is my friend".
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment