Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden Issues EO Requiring Masks On Federal Land; He And Family Promptly Violate It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

No, because masks are all about decreasing the risk of transmission, rather than eliminating it entirely, and removing them briefly isn't going to make a huge difference.
    Well now, that isn't true. According to Fauci, folks who fiddle with their masks could make wearing one worse, I presume because if they're constantly touching it, they're making themselves more susceptible than if they didn't have an object to touch so close to their face. It sounds like your making up risks about covid on-the-fly just to defend your political team, as leftists like you usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Well now, that isn't true. According to Fauci, folks who fiddle with their masks could make wearing one worse, I presume because if they're constantly touching it, they're making themselves more susceptible than if they didn't have an object to touch so close to their face. It sounds like your making up risks about covid on-the-fly just to defend your political team, as leftists like you usually do.
      Sounds like you are referring to something Fauci said back when scientists thought that fomites were a major mode of transmission.

The more current understanding is that the primary risk is breathing the same air as an infected person, with the risk being proportionate to how much virus is in the air you breathe and how long you breathe it. Those two factors determine how big a dose of the virus you get, which in turn determines how likely you are to become infected, and how likely you are to become seriously ill if you do get infected.

Obviously, if you and an infected person take off your masks, stand close together, and talk, laugh, sing, or cough, especially indoors, your chances of being infected are pretty good. Same for if you are in an enclosed space simply breathing the same air for a long time. But quietly posing for a picture for a moment is a different matter.

Comment

Sounds like you are referring to something Fauci said back when scientists thought that fomites were a major mode of transmission.

The more current understanding is that the primary risk is breathing the same air as an infected person, with the risk being proportionate to how much virus is in the air you breathe and how long you breathe it. Those two factors determine how big a dose of the virus you get, which in turn determines how likely you are to become infected, and how likely you are to become seriously ill if you do get infected.

Obviously, if you and an infected person take off your masks, stand close together, and talk, laugh, sing, or cough, especially indoors, your chances of being infected are pretty good. Same for if you are in an enclosed space simply breathing the same air for a long time. But quietly posing for a picture for a moment is a different matter.
        Fair enough. This thread is definitely a keeper though for reference the next time some leftist blowhard covid nazi in here vilifies a conservative for temporarily removing their mask or not social distancing, which is sure to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Fair enough. This thread is definitely a keeper though for reference the next time some leftist blowhard covid nazi in here vilifies a conservative for temporarily removing their mask or not social distancing, which is sure to happen.
          I agree that it will happen. Even Hope Hicks was criticized for the rare occasions where she didn't wear a mask, all while being made fun of by Trump's associates for all the times she did wear one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Ah, yes, because we know the camera flash briefly magically neutralizes virus particles in the air.
            Ah, yes, because we know that calling mask wearing "patriotic" magically makes masks effective:

Trump, who dismissed and refused to wear a face mask for months, now says wearing one is 'patriotic' like him

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Ah, yes, because we know that calling mask wearing "patriotic" magically makes masks effective:

Trump, who dismissed and refused to wear a face mask for months, now says wearing one is 'patriotic' like him
              Oh, so you believe masks are not effective? Sounds like you're saying that.

Comment

Oh, so you believe masks are not effective? Sounds like you're saying that.
                No, when someone breathes, coughs, and sneezes while wearing a mask, many of the droplets containing viruses and bacteria are blocked because droplets are bigger than the viruses and bacteria themselves. This has always been the case and is why nurses and doctors wear them.

Trump downplaying that fact then suddenly declaring it “patriotic” didn’t suddenly make masks effective. They were always effective blockers of biological nastiness, which, again, is why they have been worn in hospitals well before COVID.

Comment

No, when someone breathes, coughs, and sneezes while wearing a mask, many of the droplets containing viruses and bacteria are blocked because droplets are bigger than the viruses and bacteria themselves. This has always been the case and is why nurses and doctors wear them.

Trump downplaying that fact then suddenly declaring it “patriotic” didn’t suddenly make masks effective. They were always effective blockers of biological nastiness, which, again, is why they have been worn in hospitals well before COVID.

Just for the record, you realize that he's talking about the cloth masks that the public is urged to wear, not the hospital masks that you brought up, right? Those are very different things with very different levels of protections.

Comment

That's nice. But the topic is not about Trump. Try to stay on topic.

Comment

I doubt that the restrictions were in place for anyone, that quickly.

An executive order is not quite like a law, which can take effect instantly. It's an instruction to the people running the government to do something, like make a new rule, and then enforce it. (If you don't believe me, read it yourself.) The process takes time.

But I would agree that it's not good optics if his own grandkids aren't behaving responsibly.
                      You would think that his family would be aware of it regardless how long it technically takes to become mandated and would have the good sense not to flaunt it. But when you feel privileged and have the equivalent of the Animal Farm attitude of "some animals are more equal than others"...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's nice. But the topic is not about Trump. Try to stay on topic.
                        I’m talking about masks and arbitrary opinions of them, of which Trump took part by declaring the wearing of them *cough* “patriotic.”

When it served him.

Comment

I’m talking about masks and arbitrary opinions of them, of which Trump took part by declaring the wearing of them *cough* “patriotic.”

When it served him.
                          Again, this topic is about Biden, his EO requiring mask wearing on Federal Land, and He and his family subsequently failing to follow (let alone lead by example)

If you want to rant about OMB, do so on another thread of your own creation, please.

Continue to remain off topic and I will kindly ask you to leave my thread entirely.

Comment

Again, this topic is about Biden, his EO requiring mask wearing on Federal Land, and He and his family subsequently failing to follow (let alone lead by example)

If you want to rant about OMB, do so on another thread of your own creation, please.

Continue to remain off topic and I will kindly ask you to leave my thread entirely.
                            So long as you joke about presidential mask inconsistency, I will counter with presidential mask inconsistency. Masks are effective in blocking your spittle. Get over it.

Comment

So long as you joke about presidential mask inconsistency, I will counter with presidential mask inconsistency. Masks are effective in blocking your spittle. Get over it.
                              Stay on topic. Last warning.

Comment

Stay on topic. Last warning.
                                I am. We’re talking about masks. Patriotic masks.

Comment