Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Handsy Joe cancels Keystone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, sure --- I'm a Scotsman - I HAVE to try to keep abreast of prices and be frugal where I can.
    An Englishman, an Irishman, and a Scotsman are sitting in a pub when a fly lands in each of their beers. The Englishman orders a replacement beer. The Irishman removes the fly from his beer and keeps drinking. The Scotsman picks the fly out of his beer and carefully taps it on the back while shouting: "SPIT IT OUT, YE WEE BEGGAR!"

(an oldie but a goodie)
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      It wasn't the lowest priority.
      Only in the sense that it wasn't a priority at all.

But how was Trump's policy disastrous?
      That was a bit of hyperbole.

The disasters would happen if Trump's policies were allowed to stand.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...d-environment/

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Do you have a source for that?

According to WP, it's an invalid claim since Obama has to serve two masters like all presidents. Do you agree that the environment and the economy are concurrently important? Economic success and the environment are both concerns for NORMAL presidents, so failing on both reflects poorly on Obama. The nuanced reality of the petroleum economy is explained here:

The claim that won’t die: Did Obama want higher gas prices?
        The Washington Compost is not a reputable source. Obama made it clear on multiple occasions, through words and actions, that he was in favor of raising the cost of conventional energy:

(2014) In early 2008, candidate Obama told the San Francisco Chronicle that "under my plan ... electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket."

Obama was referring to his plan to cap greenhouse-gas emissions, which would, among other things, effectively choke off coal as an energy source. He was just as fond of high gasoline prices, telling CNBC in June 2008 — as gas prices shot up to $4 a gallon — that he "would have preferred a gradual adjustment."

Six years later, and Obama has succeeded.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the energy price index has been higher than the overall Consumer Price Index since December 2010 — 46 straight months and counting.

To say this is a historical anomaly is putting it mildly. Almost without exception, energy prices climbed more slowly than the overall CPI since 1957, the first year in the BLS' monthly energy price data.

Even in the wake of the "energy crisis," the energy index barely topped the CPI. And while the 2008 gasoline price spike pushed energy costs up, it lasted for only a short time. When Obama took office, the energy price index was 15% below the overall CPI.

Since then, gasoline prices have been stuck above $3 a gallon while electricity prices climb. In the first half of this year, they jumped 3.2% — the highest on record since 2009.

Why the big reversal? Despite Obama's alleged "all of the above" energy policy, he's declared virtual war on conventional energy sources.

Oil production on federal lands has dropped 6%, according to a Congressional Research Service report. Obama continues to block the Keystone XL Pipeline, and he's planning new smog rules that will dramatically raise the cost of energy production.

The EPA's greenhouse-gas rules could be the death knell for coal — which generates almost 40% of the nation's electricity.

So congratulations, Mr. President. You've made it that much harder for the economy to grow and for families to make ends meet.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...r-under-obama/

He was trying to push us to "green energy" and did everything he could to prop that industry up with a massive slush fund that he used to pay off his friends, the majority of whom declared bankruptcy and pocketed the money while sticking tax payers with the bill:

(2012) It is no secret that President Obama’s and green energy supporters’ (from both parties) foray into venture capitalism has not gone well. But the extent of its failure has been largely ignored by the press. Sure, single instances garner attention as they happen, but they ignore past failures in order to make it seem like a rare case.

The truth is that the problem is widespread. The government’s picking winners and losers in the energy market has cost taxpayers billions of dollars, and the rate of failure, cronyism, and corruption at the companies receiving the subsidies is substantial. The fact that some companies are not under financial duress does not make the policy a success. It simply means that our taxpayer dollars subsidized companies that would’ve found the financial support in the private market.

So far, 34 companies that were offered federal support from taxpayers are faltering — either having gone bankrupt or laying off workers or heading for bankruptcy.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2012/10/...ergy-failures/

(2019) By every objective criteria confirmed by every independent investigation, the avalanche of green dollars in Obama’s first term was a colossal waste of money. In all, Obama (and George W. Bush before him) spent some $100 billion on giveaways to wind and solar power producers, electric cars and for weatherizing homes and buildings. It was arguably one of the largest corporate welfare experiments in American history, enriching an industry and its investors. Most of this money went for research to speed up commercial applications of green energy or was pipelined into bank accounts of individual companies.

The most infamous of these was, of course, Solyndra, the solar energy company that received $530 million of taxpayer handouts and was touted many times by Obama, and Vice President Joe Biden, as the next big thing in green energy. It never produced any energy to speak of before it went bankrupt.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03...n-dollar-bust/

Looks like we are doomed to repeat history:

(2021) With Democrats about to control all the levers of power in Washington, the biggest winners might be the wind and solar companies. These firms' stocks continue to surge mostly because President-elect Joe Biden has pledged to invest several hundred billion dollars in green energy through a pipeline of taxpayer-funded grants, loans, tax credits and loan guarantees.

This game plan looks suspiciously like a replay of the litany of green "stimulus" fiascoes that Biden piloted as vice president back in 2009 with the $800 billion Obama stimulus plan. The experiment in the government as an investment banker belly-flopped with embarrassing failures from Solyndra, Fisker Automotive and Abound Solar. Taxpayers lost billions of dollars on these lemons.

https://townhall.com/columnists/step...scams-n2583315
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I have no doubt you're on the hunt for bargain kilts. =) But the point I was really trying to make is that Cornpop isn't prioritizing economic collapse.....
          Not sure why you're calling him Cornpop, but I'm guessing you mean Biden. I don't believe he's running the show at all. And I don't think the libs give a flying flip about anything but consolidating and hanging onto power.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not sure why you're calling him Cornpop, but I'm guessing you mean Biden.
            pop.jpg

Comment

I don't think the libs give a flying flip about anything but consolidating and hanging onto power.
              And the Republican party, by all appearances, seems content to go right along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And the Republican party, by all appearances, seems content to go right along with them.
                No argument there!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just went and filled up my truck with gas - you know where those prices are going.
                  They shot up. A week or so ago it was in the $1.90s now it's around $2.25 and up

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    They aren't "tar sands", you moron! And you just shut down 2000 jobs! You keep getting your oil from the Middle East, then, where human rights are virtually non-existent! You are SO stupid that you don't know that Alberta oil is the cleanest environmentally on the planet! But you keep listening to the other liars who lie about the OIL SANDS!

And our jackass PM is only "disappointed"? After he said yesterday and today that he would talk to Joe about it and make Joe see the light? Trudeau and Biden are both liars!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7588853/b...s-keystone-xl/

Hours after he was sworn into office, U.S. President Joe Biden has signed an executive order to revoke the permit that would allow the Keystone XL pipeline expansion project to continue.

The project which was previously approved by TC Energy would see the 1,930-kilometre pipeline transport up to 830,000 barrels of oil a day from Alberta to Nebraska.

The project was expected to cost US$8 billion.

The expansion was green-lit by former U.S. president Donald Trump in January of last year.

However, Biden had long promised to rescind the presidential permit in keeping with his campaign promise to shift the U.S. from fossil fuels and towards clean energy.

Speaking to CNBC last year, Biden said the pipeline “is tar sands that we don’t need — that in fact (are a) very, very high pollutant.”

Biden said claims that shutting down the Keystone pipeline would do undue damage to the oil industry are “just not rational,” adding that the arguments do not make any environmental or economic sense.

In a statement Wednesday evening, Trudeau said the move was disappointing.

“”While we welcome the President’s commitment to fight climate change, we are disappointed but acknowledge the President’s decision to fulfill his election campaign promise on Keystone XL,” he said.

Trudeau said he spoke with Biden about the project last November, adding that Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S., Kirsten Hillman and others “made the case to high-level officials in the incoming administration.”

Edit to add: If you bring Trump up in this thread you will be asked to leave.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not sure why you're calling him Cornpop, but I'm guessing you mean Biden. I don't believe he's running the show at all. And I don't think the libs give a flying flip about anything but consolidating and hanging onto power.
                      Wasn't Corn Pop the name of the guy who Biden claims, that back when he was a life guard at a pool (and letting young children rub the hair on his legs), supposedly threatened him with a rusty razor that even Biden's friends from that time laugh and say didn't happen?

Comment

141215578_3657046277667129_957706344669052161_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          They shot up. A week or so ago it was in the $1.90s now it's around $2.25 and up
                          I've been thinking about gas prices. The current hike I more attribute to the apparent end of Covid and more people traveling. Gas prices will continue to raise due to a combination of the usual summer increase and new regulation and restrictions on supply. In 2019 during the summer, I was paying about $2.69 a gallon and in 2020 summer, I was paying about $2.15 a gallon. I predict the reappearance of $3.00 a gallon gas by summer 2022. Since a lot of the economy depends on transport from point A to point B, a lot of prices are going up. The global warmers in the Biden administration are going to say: "Good."
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I've been thinking about gas prices. The current hike I more attribute to the apparent end of Covid and more people traveling. Gas prices will continue to raise due to a combination of the usual summer increase and new regulation and restrictions on supply. In 2019 during the summer, I was paying about $2.69 a gallon and in 2020 summer, I was paying about $2.15 a gallon. I predict the reappearance of $3.00 a gallon gas by summer 2022. Since a lot of the economy depends on transport from point A to point B, a lot of prices are going up. The global warmers in the Biden administration are going to say: "Good."
                            I haven't heard anything about any "apparent end of Covid" and as to increasing due to the "usual summer increase," the last time I looked we just barely passed the first month of Winter with two more months to go before Spring (which lasts another three months before we finally reach Summer).

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I haven't heard anything about any "apparent end of Covid"...
                              Fauci the Fraud is out there saying that we have finally reached the plateau. And just after China Joe was inaugurated, too (but surely that's a coincidence).

Comment

Got my natural gas bill for the last month this morning. My actual usage charge is $55 for the last month.

On top of that is a Carbon Tax of $25, an increase as of January 01 of .57/gigajoule as compared to the same time last year. Another increase is expected in 2022.

That means Trudeau's little penalty for Canadians having to heat their homes in our winter is costing this household almost 50% of the monthly gas charge.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment