Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Provided they are legitimate refugees. A lot of immigrants who have tried to claim refugee status over the last several years have been trying to escape local crime, or get a better paying job, or were simply seeking a "better life"than what their own countries offer, but that's for their own governments to solve and doesn't qualify them for refugee protections.
    And this has been demonstrated when Mexico offered many of those seeking to escape crime and the like asylum upon their crossing the border only to be rebuked with a stern "No gracias."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And this has been demonstrated when Mexico offered many of those seeking to escape crime and the like asylum upon their crossing the border only to be rebuked with a stern "No gracias."
      To be fair, if you're trying to escape crime, Mexico is not the country you want to take refuge in.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

To be fair, if you're trying to escape crime, Mexico is not the country you want to take refuge in.
        If you're trying to escape the threat of specific gangs and criminals, which is often the claim (like El Salvadorans saying that they're fleeing MS-13) it is. And while Mexico is rife with crime the worst areas, where the cartels run amok is primarily further north. Further, many of the areas that illegal immigrants congregate in the U.S. tend to be some of the most crime ridden areas of our cities or along the border.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Provided they are legitimate refugees. A lot of immigrants who have tried to claim refugee status over the last several years have been trying to escape local crime, or get a better paying job, or were simply seeking a "better life"than what their own countries offer, but that's for their own governments to solve and doesn't qualify them for refugee protections.
          I can attest to that yes. For every 100 genuine folks escaping the national rot of the land, there is usually a rogue or two running away from a duty of sorts. Usually not so much a gang or cartel member, but most commonly men running away from debtors from loans, or cowardly men running away from parental duties, etc.
          But I do agree, it is something that should NOT happen in the first place, and it is a problem that we Latins ultimately must solve ourselves and give genuine opportunities for folks to live decent lives. These folks running away are symptomatic of the rampant injustice and cruel leadership that plagues our lands and people, and some of us are constantly trying to push it back.
          Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
          As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post

I can attest to that yes. For every 100 genuine folks escaping the national rot of the land, there is usually a rogue or two running away from a duty of sorts.
            Excuse me

Comment

Excuse me
              You on the other hand, are constantly evading (and in true rogue like fashion) TWeb's justice. Especially when it comes to crossing borders of all kinds to pillage other folk's bacon.

Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
              As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                You are saying that by open borders you don't mean open borders?

Open border
                An open border is a border that enables free movement of people (and often of goods) between jurisdictions with few or no restrictions on movement, that is lacking substantive border control. A border may be an open border due to intentional legislation allowing free movement of people across the border (de jure), or a border may be an open border due to a lack of legal controls, a lack of adequate enforcement or adequate supervision of the border (de facto). An example of the former is the Schengen Agreement between most members of the European Economic Area (EFTA and the EU). An example of the latter has been the border between Bangladesh and India, which is becoming controlled... Open borders are the norm for borders between subdivisions within the boundaries of sovereign states

Maybe if you want to describe something different to that, you should use a different term?
                Called it!

Read this part again, Starlight:

...a border may be an open border due to a lack of legal controls, a lack of adequate enforcement or adequate supervision of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Called it!

Read this part again, Starlight:

...a border may be an open border due to a lack of legal controls, a lack of adequate enforcement or adequate supervision of the border.

Even the Canada-US border isn't an open border.

Except at unmanned crossings where the RCMP help illegals cross by carrying their suitcases and their babies and sending them out into Canada with all the benefits of citizens and expect them all to show up at court in a couple of weeks for their "hearings".

But, of course, SL knows WAY more about that (and everything else) than people who actually live here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Even the Canada-US border isn't an open border.

Except at unmanned crossings where the RCMP help illegals cross by carrying their suitcases and their babies and sending them out into Canada with all the benefits of citizens and expect them all to show up at court in a couple of weeks for their "hearings".

But, of course, SL knows WAY more about that (and everything else) than people who actually live here.

A few years ago it pretty much was. Now you need a passport. But as you say there are still a lot of unmanned border crossings. Several years ago while on a gravel road in a wooded area in northern Minnesota the only way we knew we had crossed the border was there was a rusty sign shot through with shotgun shot (pellets) by hunters that read "Welcome to Canada"

Comment

A few years ago it pretty much was. Now you need a passport. But as you say there are still a lot of unmanned border crossings. Several years ago while on a gravel road in a wooded area in northern Minnesota the only way we knew we had crossed the border was there was a rusty sign shot through with shotgun shot (pellets) by hunters that read "Welcome to Canada"
                      When I was in Lorain Ohio many years ago when I was young, a friend and I launched off into Lake Erie on a couple of truck inner tubes to visit Canada for the day. WHO KNEW it was so freakin' far!!!!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have crossed the border many times in my life. We went across when I was a kid often because we lived close to it then. I don't recall one time when we weren't stopped at a crossing and asked for ID and purpose of our visit and how long were we staying and where were we going and did we have any firearms or alcohol or citrus fruit, etc.

That's not an open border, imo. At least not for citizens.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have crossed the border many times in my life. We went across when I was a kid often because we lived close to it then. I don't recall one time when we weren't stopped at a crossing and asked for ID and purpose of our visit and how long were we staying and where were we going and did we have any firearms or alcohol or citrus fruit, etc.

When I lived in El Paso the border to Mexico was similar, at least for US Citizens traveling back and forth. Just showed a passport and let them inspect your car if they wanted and you could cross. I think it was similar for Mexicans crossing over for day work or vacations. The problem is with all of the illegal crossings outside of the ports of entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

When I lived in El Paso the border to Mexico was similar, at least for US Citizens traveling back and forth. Just showed a passport and let them inspect your car if they wanted and you could cross. I think it was similar for Mexicans crossing over for day work or vacations. The problem is with all of the illegal crossings outside of the ports of entry.
                            We used to do mission trips to Brownsville, and go back and forth over the border there every day. The locals at the church there in Brownsville knew the border guards personally from crossing so many times, and the border guards would simply wave them through.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I crossed into Canuckistan from Michigan in the 80s there was a border crossing station on the other side but it was unmanned. We came back via boat and there was nobody asking questions. IIRC, Niagara Falls allowed tourists to cross between stores on both sides of the border unchecked until recently, but I've never been there and I'm going from something my father said when he and my mother honeymooned there in the early 1950s.

I'll add that the county I live in was a dry one when we moved here. The police commonly stopped vehicles returning from Atlanta to see if they were bringing liquor back and how much. In fact the sheriffs department did so quite frequently and since your car was impounded if you exceeded the legal limit (IIRC, a fifth for each adult) almost all of the deputies owned new luxury cars they bought at the auction of such cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We used to do mission trips to Brownsville, and go back and forth over the border there every day. The locals at the church there in Brownsville knew the border guards personally from crossing so many times, and the border guards would simply wave them through.
                                And even when I rigged your car to leak white powder (flour) onto the road they still just kept waving you on through.

Comment