Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fox News now in third place after CNN and MSNBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox News now in third place after CNN and MSNBC

For most of the past 20 years, Fox News has had the highest viewership of the news channels. That has apparently changed since the November election.

The average daytime viewership so far this month (January, 2021):

2.08 million - CNN
    1.74 million - MSNBC
    1.41 million - Fox News

whereas, historically, Fox News viewership was often larger than the viewership of CNN and MSNBC combined.

The following article

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news...e-reasons-why/

gives five reasons for this flip:

(1) Fox has a tendency to not report news which is negative about Trump, forcing viewers to change channels if they want news coverage
    (2) Fox is reducing news coverage in favour of opinion shows
    (3) Fox opinion shows are "all in" on all conspiracy theories, no matter how unbelievable the theories are
    (4) OANN and Newsmax are "outfoxing Fox", and
    (5) message fatigue (isn't it time Fox stopped talking about Hillary???)

Detailed daily ratings for the news channels can be found at the following website.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/category/ratings/
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

It's sad that many people watch TV for their news gathering. No wonder there's so much misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

(1) Fox has a tendency to not report news which is negative about Trump, forcing viewers to change channels if they want news coverage
      (2) Fox is reducing news coverage in favour of opinion shows
      (3) Fox opinion shows are "all in" on all conspiracy theories, no matter how unbelievable the theories are
      (4) OANN and Newsmax are "outfoxing Fox", and
      (5) message fatigue (isn't it time Fox stopped talking about Hillary???)
      This sounds like someone who has never watched Fox News.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        This sounds like someone who has never watched Fox News.
        Yeah, it used to be a favorite "comeback" of a certain poster who is no longer here to accuse us of getting our information from Fox News, even when we don't routinely watch it.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, it used to be a favorite "comeback" of a certain poster who is no longer here to accuse us of getting our information from Fox News, even when we don't routinely watch it.
          The only show that I ever used to watch with any regularity is The Five but pretty much stopped when it got moved to the evenings from its 5PM slot. It later moved back to the afternoon but I rarely catch it any more.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't watch Fox News, or television news generally. But the past few days I've tried to follow clips on what CNN and MSNBC were saying about the Capitol Riot. I had to switch to Fox because the vitriol was so blatant and some of the comparisons and language so offensive. It's all about working people up into a political frenzy. I get enough of that from social media, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
              I don't watch Fox News, or television news generally. But the past few days I've tried to follow clips on what CNN and MSNBC were saying about the Capitol Riot. I had to switch to Fox because the vitriol was so blatant and some of the comparisons and language so offensive. It's all about working people up into a political frenzy. I get enough of that from social media, thanks.
              That's one of the big problems with the news today. They seem focused on what's being said on social media.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                I don't watch Fox News, or television news generally.
                Ditto. I watch local news for local weather reports before I leave the house in the morning.

Network TV news is slow-feed soundbites swimming in bias. And you're basically just locked into one channel. On the Internet you can learn about a news story and then jump around to all sorts of sources to get a deeper, more well-informed grasp of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Ditto. I watch local news for local weather reports before I leave the house in the morning.

Network TV news is slow-feed soundbites swimming in bias. And you're basically just locked into one channel. On the Internet you can learn about a news story and then jump around to all sorts of sources to get a deeper, more well-informed grasp of it.
                  I tend to get my weather from the internet or radio. Got sick of all the teases where the weatherman/woman comes on to tell you the current conditions and says they'll return to give you the forecast. I can look outside for myself for the current conditions

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I tend to get my weather from the internet or radio. Got sick of all the teases where the weatherman/woman comes on to tell you the current conditions and says they'll return to give you the forecast. I can look outside for myself for the current conditions
                    Ha, same. Usually all I care about is whether it'll freeze so I can protect my plants, or whether it'll rain.

Comment

I sometimes double-check the Internet for local weather, but I can listen/watch TV as I am getting ready to go.

Comment

You need a weather rock.

if it's wet, it's raining.

if it's dry, it's not.

if it's moving, it's windy.

here, if it's white, its racist snowing.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yup, do I need my jacket, and who got murdered?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You need a weather rock.

if it's wet, it's raining.

if it's dry, it's not.

if it's moving, it's windy.

here, if it's white, its racist snowing.
                            9f3ed6572a6b8738415bc89155fd00c9.jpg
                            Of course if it's gone it coulda also been stolen

Comment

I sometimes double-check the Internet for local weather, but I can listen/watch TV as I am getting ready to go.
                              I will frequently check RealClearPolitics just to see what's up, and from there, go to their science, military, financial, etc...

Comment