Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Franklin Graham likens Republicans voting to impeach to Christ's betrayal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    How about when Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) went to numerous churches in his Congressional district in Harlem declaring that "God sent us Barack Obama." Michelle Obama liked to reference Scripture when talking about the Obamessiah like when she proclaimed that, "We have an amazing story to tell. This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light" (Matthew 4:16; cf. Micah 7:8). The latter has long been thought to be a messianic reference.
    Claiming anecdotally that "God sent Obama," is not comparable to the claim of QAnon, Paula White and Franklin Graham and others claim for Trump.

Keep digging . . .
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So, here you are posting people who are NOT political operatives or official Republican spokespersons or politicians...

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Claiming anecdotally that "God sent Obama," is not comparable to the claim of QAnon, Paula White and Franklin Graham and others claim for Trump.

Keep digging . . .
      While claiming that the need is to post "competent source[s] from Democrats".

No, the Democrats never considered Obama. You need to cite some competent source from Democrats and not atrocious pictures ridiculing Obama already posted.
      Double Standard much?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Keep digging . . .
        You could give lessons to Lee in goalpost moving. You claimed that you wanted me to "cite some competent source from Democrats" speaking of Obama in such a manner and I gave you Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) going into churches in Harlem and telling the congregations that "God sent us Barack Obama."

That is an example of exactly what you said you wanted.

And then just to frost the cake I added Michelle Obama citing messianic verses from the Bible when describing her hubby.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You could give lessons to Lee in goalpost moving. You claimed that you wanted me to "cite some competent source from Democrats" speaking of Obama in such a manner and I gave you Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) going into churches in Harlem and telling the congregations that "God sent us Barack Obama."

And then just to frost the cake I added Michelle Obama citing messianic verses from the Bible when describing her hubby.
          Many Christians believed that God sent Donald Trump. Also, many pastors predicted he'd win. This was the mentality of a portion of Trump's base. My mom and sister are two. They know about a dozen others who believe the same thing (from church that is pro-Trump).

PTLJ.jpg

And you know that (mostly) weird pastors have said weird things about his presidency, yes? Credit to Pastor Robert Jeffress for actually acknowledging Biden's win, though:

Pastor Robert Jeffress, staunch Trump evangelical supporter, calls Biden president-elect

He said that shortly following election.

For all Obama's faults, he never entertained an optical horror like this:

horror.jpg

Regarding Billy Graham, while Nixon's advisor, he was recorded saying anti-semetic remarks, which he later apologized for.

And let's not misconstrue what his son said:

Shame, shame on the ten Republicans who joined with Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats in impeaching President Trump yesterday. After all that he has done for our country, you would turn your back and betray him so quickly? We have never had a president like him in my lifetime. He gave us lower taxes, a strong economy, and low unemployment. He made NATO take notice and pay their own way. He had the guts to take on North Korea and meet with their leader personally. He didn’t let China walk all over us. Just his Mideast peace initiatives in the last couple of months deserve a Nobel Peace Prize. He has defended religious liberty like no president before him, and that matters to all people of faith. He has worked to bring prison reform and secured our southern border. He defeated the ISIS caliphate in Syria, and he strengthened our military. He was also the most pro-life president we have ever had. But the House Democrats impeached him because they hate him and want to do as much damage as they can. And these ten, from his own party, joined in the feeding frenzy. It makes you wonder what the thirty pieces of silver were that Speaker Pelosi promised for this betrayal.

President Trump isn’t a perfect person. I don’t support or agree with some of the things the President said and did the last couple of weeks. January 6 was a low point in his presidency. We knew he had flaws when he ran for office in 2016. But I, and millions of others, voted for him because of the platform and policies he promised. I still support those. The Democrats have been trying to get rid of the President since the day he took office. What they did yesterday only further divides our nation. I hope President-elect Biden will keep his word and work for unity as he has said.
          Franklin was not calling Trump Jesus Christ but comparing a man who he thinks did much unprecedented good (remember, his followers believe Trump is "the greatest president" and a type of David who defeated Goliath who was betrayed Judas-style by his followers. That is to say, it was a big betrayal in contrast to Trump, the quasi-biblical hero figure.

I don't think it's a shame, nor it is particularly surprising since it's completely in line with Franklin's regular prosaic style.
          Last edited by whag; 01-18-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

No, it is not. Mrs. Obama's citation is stretch. and often used in the Civil Rights movement for those like MLK and others, and in churches referring to honoring preachers in the Black community.

Keep digging . . .
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No, it is not. Mrs. Obama's citation is stretch. and often used in the Civil Rights movement for those like MLK and others, and in churches referring to honoring preachers in the Black community.

Keep digging . . .
              Carpe Hand Wave.gif
              Shuny's response to anything that doesn't fit into his narrative.

Obama isn't a preacher nor is he anything like MLK.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Carpe Hand Wave.gif
                Shuny's response to anything that doesn't fit into his narrative.

Obama isn't a preacher nor is he anything like MLK.
                That does not make any difference. Some of the revered Civil Rights leaders were not preachers. You keep digging with heavy emotional edge citing people out of context, and off topic in what I call the shotgun approach to dialogue, like the slanderous quoting out of context of Kamala Harris. Simply do a fact check on your right wing slanderous statements and you will find the proper context.

The waving act is an insulting use of race. Did you get her permission to use this in this context.

Frank

Comment

That does not make any difference. Some of the revered Civil Rights leaders were not preachers. You keep digging with heavy emotional edge citing people out of context, and off topic in what I call the shotgun approach to dialogue, like the slanderous quoting out of context of Kamala Harris. Simply do a fact check on your right wing slanderous statements and you will find the proper context.

The waving act is an insulting use of race. Did you get her permission to use this in this context.
                  You really need to look up the word "slanderous", and dial down the drama quite a bit.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You really need to look up the word "slanderous", and dial down the drama quite a bit.
                    No need the word fits as is. To claim Kamala Harris advocated violent demonstrations is slander. A legal synonym is defamation.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-19-2021, 10:09 AM.

Frank

Comment

No need the word fits as is.
                      Slander is verbal defamation, not written (libel) and public figures are not subject to defamation laws so no, it doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Slander is verbal defamation, not written (libel) and public figures are not subject to defamation laws so no, it doesn't fit.
                        If you are going to split frog hairs on terminology feel free to substitute 'defamation or character assassination.'

It does not change the problem.

Frank

Comment

If you are going to split frog hairs on terminology feel free to substitute 'defamation or character assassination.'

Incoherent response.

1. It's your opinion. And it's wrong.
                          2. You can't really defame a public figure easily. They are not subject to the same defamation laws as a private citizen.

Comment

Incoherent response.

2. You can't really defame a public figure easily. They are not subject to the same defamation laws as a private citizen.
                            Not to mention that I'm employing the same yardstick used to claim that Trump was advocating violence. Actually, given that Trump didn't promote the bailing out of those charged with attempting to murder police, and immediately condemned violent activity unlike Harris who said what was taking place shouldn't stop and told us that we better "beware" and was only dragged kicking and screaming into the most tepid of rejections of violence 3 MONTHS after it started, I'm probably being overly generous. But be that as it may, by shuny's own criteria he has been "slandering" and defaming Trump.

Comment

Incoherent response.

Then use Character assassination.

Frank

Comment

So, tell me, Shuny, why exactly are you here on a Christian-run board? What is it you do with nearly every post?

Comment