Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Franklin Graham likens Republicans voting to impeach to Christ's betrayal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

“If Jesus Christ gets down off the cross and told me Trump is with Russia, I would tell him, 'Hold on a second. I need to check with the president if it's true.’” - Mark Lee, during CNN panel discussion

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...with-russia-id
    That's approaching the level of Obamessiah worship we saw

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of (Trump) as Captain Moroni. He seeks not power, but to pull it down. He seeks not the praise of the world or the ‘fake news,’ but he seeks the well-being and the peace of the American people." - Senator Mike Lee, (R) Utah, October 28, 2020, in comparing Donald Trump to Captain Moroni, a hero in the Book of Mormon

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ty/6078062002/
      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
        "To my Mormon friends, my Latter-day Saint friends, think of (Trump) as Captain Moroni. He seeks not power, but to pull it down. He seeks not the praise of the world or the ‘fake news,’ but he seeks the well-being and the peace of the American people." - Senator Mike Lee, (R) Utah, October 28, 2020, in comparing Donald Trump to Captain Moroni, a hero in the Book of Mormon

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ty/6078062002/
        Interesting - I've never heard of Moroni (the supposed angel) being referred to as "Captain" --- but I shouldn't be surprised, because Joseph Smith often assigned himself titles of importance he did not earn.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          ohboy!
          Here's an example of what one of them posted on Facebook.
          rm.jpg
          Last edited by Faber; 01-16-2021, 06:47 PM.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Here's an example of what one of them posted.
            rm.jpg
            Regarding Trump as being one of the country's greatest presidents is a far cry from likening him to Jesus

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As rogue says, this isn't messianic. It's just a difference of opinion on politics. Nothing wrong with thinking them crazy for their political view without turning it into something else.

Comment

rm.jpg
                Have mercy, Lord Jesus.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If somebody wants to argue that a certain president is among the best presidents of all time, I wouldn't agree if you chose Trump, but it's an opinion you could legitimately have. After all, one of the presidents has to be the best, and that doesn't mean you're elevating him with Jesus.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ok so honestly this is something my family and I have discussed at length as one of our concerns. I have seen folks eat up everything Trump says the way Christians should be following Jesus. It worries me
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      Ok so honestly this is something my family and I have discussed at length as one of our concerns. I have seen folks eat up everything Trump says the way Christians should be following Jesus. It worries me
                      I think it can easily be argued that there's a cult of personality around Trump. Likely some of his supporters do worship him. But I don't think he's clever enough to take advantage of it in any meaningful way. People followed him because they were angry and felt disenfranchised. Trump didn't create them, he just paid attention to them.

Comment

No me! To me, he as valuable in the sense that Balaam's mule was valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Source: Franklin Graham Compares 10 Republicans Who Voted to Impeach Trump to Betrayal of Christ[/url

Evangelist Franklin Graham compared 10 members of the GOP to Judas Iscariot on Thursday after they voted to approve President Donald Trump's second impeachment.

Graham, the head of the non-profit organization Samaritan's Purse, has been a longtime supporter of Trump's presidency. Rifts between the evangelical community and Trump have developed after recent events, including a January riot at the U.S. Capitol. Trump's impeachment in the aftermath of the riot at the U.S. Capitol did not change Graham's support of the president, leading Graham to draw parallels between Trump's impeachment and the betrayal of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible.

"Shame, shame on the ten Republicans who joined with @SpeakerPelosi & the House Democrats in impeaching President Trump yesterday," Graham tweeted. "After all that he has done for our country, you would turn your back & betray him so quickly? What was done yesterday only further divides our nation."

Graham elaborated on his opinion in a Thursday Facebook post, detailing why he believed Trump was actually impeached.

"But the House Democrats impeached him because they hate him and want to do as much damage as they can," Graham wrote. "And these ten, from [Trump's] own party, joined in the feeding frenzy. It makes you wonder what the thirty pieces of silver were that [Democratic House] Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi promised for this betrayal."

In the Bible, Judas Iscariot was paid 30 pieces of silver by the Pharisees to betray Jesus, who was tried and punished before being crucified by the Romans.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Story continues at link above*]

Not just no. Hell no. Your daddy would have known better as should you.

While I think this second impeachment was as big of a sham as the first one, blatantly violating nearly every rule that the House established for such a proceeding, to compare it to the betrayal of Christ borders on obscene.

Trump is nothing like Jesus. End of story.

Well, there is really not much of a surprise in this and for anyone to pretend they are surprised is a bit strange.

During the discussions we have had over the years some of us have pointed out how quite many “Christians” were guided by Trump rather than the words of Jesus. Quite often were told Christians worship the Lord Jesus, their saviour, eternal king and so on…. So there was nothing to the criticism, one would have to conclude.

At least that was how many people concluded.

This latest statement from Franklin Graham is a pretty good example of how Trump has taken the role of Jesus. He can say as much as he wants that he does not worship Trump. But he sold his own integrity long ago, turned support of Trump into a spiritual matter, falsely claiming he had God on his side. And now, well, it is pretty simple. If Trump is exposed, Graham is exposed. Graham mixed his spiritual message up with a political one.

Graham could either repent or remain the slave of his own foolish statements of the past and try to make it all fit (it is going to be pathetic to watch him and others for the next couple of years needing to add more layers to the big lie they depend on. It seems he follows master Trump and his own ego rather than the words of Christ. He should know he cannot serve two masters.

And don’t pretend you were surprised to see Graham make this latest foolish statement. It follows along the lines of what he has said before:

During his November 21 interview with Graham, Metaxas, a Salem Radio Network talk-show host, asked the son of the late evangelist Billy Graham, “What do you think of what is happening now? I mean, it’s a very bizarre situation to be living in a country where some people seem to exist to undermine the president of the United States. It's just a bizarre time for most Americans.”

Franklin Graham, president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelical Association, responded, “Well, I believe it’s almost a demonic power that is trying—”

At which point Metaxas interjected, “I would disagree. It’s not almost demonic. You know and I know, at the heart, it’s a spiritual battle.”

Graham agreed, though his defense of Trump was based on economic rather than spiritual or cultural issues. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sinner/602569/
                          So, Graham is playing along the lines of demonic or “almost demonic” for his political opponents and all of a sudden we should pretend we were surprised that he takes this “logic” to the full as “the chosen one” is about to be exposed thus exposing himself and his scam version of Christianity? There will be lots and lots and lots of more of this. Many "Evangelicals" are finding themselves on a sinking ship.

Last edited by Charles; 01-17-2021, 07:55 AM.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

In the same way some idolize musicians, actors and sports stars. Look at how, for instance, the basketball player Lebron James is regarded as a leading authority on "social justice," race relations and discrimination with the MSM dutifully reporting his every utterance all the while he kowtows to China ignoring their horrific record on these matters (what is being done to the Uighurs is just one example) and immediately chastises anyone who criticizes them.

And don't even get me started on the near deification of Obama in many quarters, where normally respected journalists were saying he is "standing above the country, above -- above the world, he’s sort of God" and "He is not the Word made flesh, but the triumph of word over flesh" as well as frankly declaring how they thought Obama was the Messiah.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No me! To me, he as valuable in the sense that Balaam's mule was valuable.
                              I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

Well, there is really not much of a surprise in this and for anyone to pretend they are surprised is a bit strange.

During the discussions we have had over the years some of us have pointed out how quite many “Christians” were guided by Trump rather than the words of Jesus. Quite often were told Christians worship the Lord Jesus, their saviour, eternal king and so on…. So there was nothing to the criticism, one would have to conclude.

At least that was how many people concluded.

This latest statement from Franklin Graham is a pretty good example of how Trump has taken the role of Jesus. He can say as much as he wants that he does not worship Trump. But he sold his own integrity long ago, turned support of Trump into a spiritual matter, falsely claiming he had God on his side. And now, well, it is pretty simple. If Trump is exposed, Graham is exposed. Graham mixed his spiritual message up with a political one.

Graham could either repent or remain the slave of his own foolish statements of the past and try to make it all fit (it is going to be pathetic to watch him and others for the next couple of years needing to add more layers to the big lie they depend on. It seems he follows master Trump and his own ego rather than the words of Christ. He should know he cannot serve two masters.

And don’t pretend you were surprised to see Graham make this latest foolish statement. It follows along the lines of what he has said before:

So, Graham is playing along the lines of demonic or “almost demonic” for his political opponents and all of a sudden we should pretend we were surprised that he takes this “logic” to the full as “the chosen one” is about to be exposed thus exposing himself and his scam version of Christianity? There will be lots and lots and lots of more of this. Many "Evangelicals" are finding themselves on a sinking ship.
                                Meanwhile getting back to reality rather than what a particular hyper-hypocritical internet troll perceives of it.

With regard to Trump his supporters did not worship him because for 99.9% of them it was never about the man. It was always about the ideals he championed, like the support of freedom (especially those mentioned in the Bill of Rights, particularly free speech and the 2A). It was about attempting to preserve the country and to build it back up again. It was about preserving the sanctity of human life and protecting the most innocent and helpless members. His supporters weren't so much Trump supporters as freedom supporters and America supporters with Trump being the most outspoken advocate for that. And that love and support for freedom won't waiver regardless of who is in charge.

And only idiots would confuse him and his political goals with what Christ taught. They are completely separate and for the most rarely in conflict

Comment