Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cnn walks back assassination claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cnn walks back assassination claim

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/polit...als/index.html

Seems the government walked this claim back.

The RUSH TO JUDGMENT missed so many opportunities for gathering actual facts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And to be clear, they are prosecutors are not outright denying the claim (and the article even says they may proceed with it in a different context later) but rather admitting they do not have enough evidence to prove it in a court. Eyewitness testimony suggests there's a good chance at least a few of them did have that in mind, but it probably can't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          And to be clear, they are prosecutors are not outright denying the claim (and the article even says they may proceed with it in a different context later) but rather admitting they do not have enough evidence to prove it in a court. Eyewitness testimony suggests there's a good chance at least a few of them did have that in mind, but it probably can't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.
          So, do you think that a decision on impeachment should be the same, better, or less stringent than the "beyond a shadow of a doubt"?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, do you think that a decision on impeachment should be the same, better, or less stringent than the "beyond a shadow of a doubt"?
            Not sure what that has to do with my post, but I would say the same.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Backatcha but with the question of election stealing. Do you think election theft should have an iota of evidence before it's shouted to the whole globe?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Backatcha but with the question of election stealing. Do you think election theft should have an iota of evidence before it's shouted to the whole globe?
                Absolutely, those Dems screaming about the stolen election for the last 4 years should be ashamed of the precedent they set!

Comment

Why would you put this on CNN when it was the justice department that made the claim and the justice department that retracted it?
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    In every crowd you'll have a few whack jobs.

But just like this summer during the months of rioting you had some (especially initially but less so the longer it went on) that were there to protest, others to loot and raise some hell, and a few who wanted to burn the country down. But in the case of the D.C. riots we were repeatedly presented as the prevailing view and purpose of many if not most of those there. Obviously this was balderdash but many (including several here) bought it hook, line and sinker and disseminated as proven fact, getting upset if anyone disagreed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Absolutely, those Dems screaming about the stolen election for the last 4 years should be ashamed of the precedent they set!
                      There is no logical or rational comparison between the concerns over Russian influence possibly having affected the election and the current trump/republican insurrection level rhetoric. Dc is under lockdown. There are credible threats of violence across the nation and in DC. The president is still actively feeding the unrest. Nothing even remotely like that was part of the 2016 election or the four years that followed it.

This approaches anarchy and it is incredibly irresponsible to make statements that attempt to treat them as in any way equivalent.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

OK, I read the first 10 posts in this thread and I still don't know what claim is being walked back.

Why do I have to click on a link to find out?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

You are of course including the whole #Resist and "Not my president" movements along with all of the liberal politicians who insisted for the last four years that the election was illegitimate and Trump had stolen it, right?
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Let's start with folks like Robert Reich (Clinton's Secretary of Labor), the late Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.)[1], Rep. Mad Max(ine) Waters (D-Ca.), Donna Brazile (Al Gore's campaign manager in 2000 and head of the Democratic National Committee), and former President Jimmy Carter since they immediately spring to mind with the first three saying so repeatedly. IIRC, Sen. Cory I-am-Spartacus Booker (D-Pa) also called him illegitimate and Sen. Bernie Sanders told George Stephanopoulos that Trump stole the election but wouldn't use the term "illegitimate" when asked using the excuse that "Those are just words."

At a May 2019 Biden campaign event held New Hampshire there was a woman who kept going on and on about Trump being an "illegitimate president." Toward the end she said

I think all the talk about impeachment and what the Democrats should do, that’s fine, it’s theoretical at this point. Let them investigate, let them subpoena, let them go to the Supreme Court, he’s illegitimate.

Biden responded, "Would you be my vice presidential candidate?" Now that can be dismissed as joking but then Biden turned toward the crowd and declared "Folks, look, I absolutely agree." So he was removed any doubt and definitely agreed that he thought Trump was an "illegitimate president"

And you had Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Ca.), repeatedly saying that the reason that they had to proceed with the impeachment at warp speed was because they had to keep Trump from running in 2020 and stealing another election -- even after the Mueller Report and Mueller's Congressional testimony had cleared him of collusion. Keep in mind that Schiff is the clown who kept saying he had a mountain of evidence that was irrefutable proof of collusion, but for some strange reason he never shared any of this supposed "evidence" with Mueller or released any of it since then[2].

Then there was Hillary.

In October 2019:

Source: Hillary Clinton Labels Trump an "Illegitimate President"

Hillary Clinton said that Donald Trump is an "illegitimate president" during a Wednesday appearance on ABC's "The View."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

In September 2019:

Source: Hillary Clinton: Trump is an "illegitimate president"

Hillary Clinton dismissed President Trump as an "illegitimate president" and suggested that “he knows” that he stole the 2016 presidential election in a CBS News interview to be aired Sunday.

Source

In May 2019,

Source: Hillary Clinton suggests 2016 election was "stolen" from her

Hillary Clinton said on Saturday she is advising candidates about what it is like to have an election "stolen" during an "Evening with the Clintons" event in Los Angeles, Calif.

"You can run the best campaign, you can even become the nominee, and you can have the election stolen from you," Clinton said she has been telling candidates who have come to see her. The comment was met with cheers.

Source

In September 2017 (nearly a year after the election, in an interview with NPR) "Hillary Clinton just floated the possibility of contesting the 2016 election"

And this from May 2020 since that was when she went on his show:

Source: Hillary doubles down: Trump's election victory was 'illegitimate', you know

At this point, maybe Hillary is tripling down or quadrupling down. She is still beating a dead horse -- the loser of the 2016 presidential election wanted the viewers of Trevor Noah's late-night television show to know that Trump's victory was illegitimate and she has thoughts or something. She doesn't have any new thoughts, mind you, but she is bitterly clinging to her old thoughts.

Source

As harsh as the above sounds it comes from a source that is ranked as Left-Center

And in October 2020, Hillary on the New York Times podcast "Sway": "I was the candidate that they basically stole an election from"

1. No surprise there since he regarded every single Republican elected president while he was a Congressman as being illegitimate. For him if a Republican won it was because of fraud.

2. In much the same way that Buzzfeed repeatedly insisted they actually "saw the documents" that showed that Trump told Cohen to lie before Congress, even doubling down on the claim after Mueller took the unusual action of calling their report bogus. AFAICT, they're still insisting that they saw these non-existent documents. So much for believing anything they ever say.

Comment

You are of course including the whole #Resist and "Not my president" movements along with all of the liberal politicians who insisted for the last four years that the election was illegitimate and Trump had stolen it, right?
                            That.

Comment

No, I was referring to GOP's keeping birtherism in the news for 8 years.

From wikipedia:

Trump was the most prominent promoter of birther conspiracy theories.[142][143] This elevated Trump's political profile in the years leading up to his successful 2016 presidential campaign.[142][143][144] According to political scientists John Sides, Michael Tesler, and Lynn Vavreck, Trump "became a virtual spokesperson for the 'birther' movement. The strategy worked: when Trump flirted with running for president in 2011, his popularity was concentrated among the sizable share of Republicans who thought that President Obama was foreign born or a Muslim or both."[143]

In 2010, at the urging of Donald Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen, the National Enquirer began promoting a potential Trump presidential campaign, and with Cohen's involvement, the tabloid began questioning Obama's birthplace and citizenship.[145]

In March 2011, during an interview on Good Morning America, Donald Trump said he was seriously considering running for president, that he was a "little" skeptical of Obama's citizenship, and that someone who shares this view should not be so quickly dismissed as an "idiot"[146] (as Trump considers the term "birther" to be "derogatory"[147]). Trump added, "Growing up no one knew him",[146] a claim ranked Pants-on-Fire by Politifact.[148] Later, Trump appeared on The View repeating several times that "I want him [Obama] to show his birth certificate." He speculated that "there [was] something on that birth certificate that [Obama] doesn't like", a comment which host Whoopi Goldberg described as "the biggest pile of dog mess I've heard in ages."[149] On the March 30, 2011, edition of CNN Newsroom, anchor Suzanne Malveaux commented on Trump's statements, pointing out that she had made a documentary for which she had gone to Hawaii and spoken with people who knew Obama as a child.[150][151] In an NBC TV interview broadcast on April 7, 2011, Trump said he would not let go of the issue, because he was not satisfied that Obama had proved his citizenship.[152] After Trump began making his views public, he was contacted by Joseph Farah of WorldNetDaily, who was reportedly on the phone with Trump every day for a week, providing Trump with a "birther primer", answers to questions, and advice.[153] After Obama released his long-form birth certificate on April 27, 2011, Trump said "I am really honored and I am really proud, that I was able to do something that nobody else could do."[154]

On October 24, 2012, Trump offered to donate five million dollars to the charity of Obama's choice in return for the publication of his college and passport applications before October 31, 2012.[155]

On September 16, 2016, as the Republican Party presidential nominee, Trump conceded that "President Barack Obama was born in the United States. Period." Trump gave himself credit for putting the controversy to rest and also repeated a false claim that Hillary Clinton, his opponent in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and one of Obama's opponents in the 2008 Democratic presidential primaries, had started the controversy concerning Obama's place of birth. While those who did so were Clinton supporters, there is no evidence of Clinton or her campaign questioning Obama's birthplace.[156]

The story there did have some merit, but his citizenship was never in doubt. Obama lied about being Kenyan when in college (presumably because it lent him a kind of international street cred).

Before that was Bush 2, who actually was an illegitimate president.
                              Last edited by whag; 01-15-2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment