Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe's Big Speech Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post

It's so common sense that it needn't be said, especially with the stink Trump attached to it and potential to destroy the remaining good will we have with the rest of the world.
    Amazingly, he managed not to start any wars with them, or drag them into his own wars.

I take your word for it that Trump defined it to take the edge off the phrase, but it doesn't look good when we're the only one using that phrase and lead the world in consumption and empire building.
    And, again, Trump did FAR less "empire building" than any of his predecessors -- unless, of course, you mean building the "empire" that is the United States of America, which he was elected to do.

AND, he managed to move Israel's capital to Jerusalem - which other predecessors has promised to do - AND bring some significant peace accords to the Middle East!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah! I just bought my dog a laptop with my $600! I was tired of him hogging mine to post on Facebook.

Money well spent!
      Given that you recently admitted that he is likely smarter than you are...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's so common sense that it needn't be said, especially with the stink Trump attached to it and potential to destroy the remaining good will we have with the rest of the world.

I take your word for it that Trump defined it to take the edge off the phrase, but it doesn't look good when we're the only one using that phrase and lead the world in consumption and empire building.
        The "stink" of saying that other countries should also do the same? Or the "stink" of that since he said it just MUST be bad because OMB?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Amazingly, he managed not to start any wars with them, or drag them into his own wars.

And, again, Trump did FAR less "empire building" than any of his predecessors -- unless, of course, you mean building the "empire" that is the United States of America, which he was elected to do.

AND, he managed to move Israel's capital to Jerusalem - which other predecessors has promised to do - AND bring some significant peace accords to the Middle East!
          See? That just goes to show that OMB is so bad...

From the voice of the ghost of Ed McMahon: How bad is he?

He's so bad, that he didn't even know how to build an empire.

Comment

True, but this must be seen in context. Largest unjustified military build-up in history. Largest number of drone strikes. Largest number of needlessly escalating public threats to enemy nations. Comparatively nothing invested or said about "cold" war threats actually destroying this country.

He destroyed that in one fell swoop by insisting the election was stolen, making us look weak and vulnerable.

Is that a good thing? That puts us square on the side of Israel and against the Palestinians.

Comment

True
              I rest my case.

but this must be seen in context. Largest unjustified military build-up in history. Largest number of drone strikes. Largest number of needlessly escalating public threats to enemy nations. Comparatively nothing invested or said about "cold" war threats actually destroying this country.
              Oh, you weren't done yet.

"needlessly escalating public threats"????

He destroyed that in one fell swoop by insisting the election was stolen, making us look weak and vulnerable.
              Horsehockey!

Is that a good thing? That puts us square on the side of Israel and against the Palestinians.
              A) So?
              2) There were all kinds of dire predictions about the horrible things that would immediately happen.... crickets.

And previous leaders pledged to do the very same thing.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Given that you recently admitted that he is likely smarter than you are...
                Wait. Dang it! He tricked me again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wait. Dang it! He tricked me again!
                  Of course he used trickery. He woke up.

Comment

Of course he used trickery. He woke up.
                    We need more wokeness around here.

Comment

Oh dear, some euros think that may make us look weak, even though we are not, and they know we are not.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Joey will make sure we are actually vulnerable by letting caravans of people in.

Comment

Only if you ignore what the left has been doing for the last four years. You know, like insisting the election was stolen

Our good friends and allies the Palestinians. The same people who were out dancing in the streets celebrating after 9/11.

Comment

Only if you ignore what the left has been doing for the last four years. You know, like insisting the election was stolen
                          Someone forgot Trump and GOP calling into question the legitimacy of Obama's presidency. =/ "NOT MY PRESIDENT!" =P

The political world is a listing ship, which each successive wake of revenge being bigger than the last one's.

Our good friends and allies the Palestinians. The same people who were out dancing in the streets celebrating after 9/11.
                          It was just a few Palestinians, just like it was just a few dolts storming the capitol yelling "Hang Mike Pence."

Hang. Mike. Pence. < That's Trump legacy. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Oh dear, some euros think that may make us look weak, even though we are not, and they know we are not.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Joey will make sure we are actually vulnerable by letting caravans of people in.
                            pretty much you won't hear a thing about the caravan for the next few years. they will have magically stopped and arent newsworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Why is it rude? American presidents should place America ahead of anywhere else as a priority. First place. This country historically sends far too much money overseas while we have problems that need to be addressed here at home.
                              From wikipedia:

America First refers to a foreign policy stance in the United States that generally emphasizes isolationism.[1] It first gained prominence in the interwar period (1918–1939) and was advocated by the America First Committee, a non-interventionist pressure group against the U.S. entry into World War II.[2] Since 2016, an identically-named campaign slogan and foreign policy that emphasizes withdrawal from international treaties and organizations has been pursued by the presidential campaigns and administration of Donald Trump.[3][4][5][6] Trump's "America First" policy has been described as a major factor in the international isolation of the United States, and commentators have described the policy as "America Alone.

America First is best known as the slogan and foreign policy advocated by the America First Committee, a non-interventionist pressure group against the American entry into World War II, which emphasized American nationalism and unilateralism in international relations. The America First Committee's membership peaked at 800,000 paying members in 450 chapters, and it popularized the slogan "America First."[2] While the America First Committee had a variety of supporters in the United States, "the movement was marred by anti-Semitic and pro-fascist rhetoric."[12]

In later periods, the slogan was used by Pat Buchanan, who praised the non-interventionist WWII America First Committee and said "the achievements of that organization are monumental."
                              Like it or not, we live in a global economy, and it makes no sense to pull out of international alliances, treaties and organizations. We cannot go it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

From wikipedia:
                                Wikipedia is a poor source for finding definitions, and it is wrong here as well. "Isolationism" is called ... (wait for it) ... "isolationism."

Like it or not, we live in a global economy, and it makes no sense to pull out of international alliances, treaties and organizations. We cannot go it alone.
                                Globalism ties the US to the whims of leaders in other countries. You may not mind having foreign bureaucrats spend your money and write legislation for you, but I mind.
                                My elected officials are supposed to make those kinds of decisions because they are accountable to American voters. Foreign officials are not.

Comment