Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe's Big Speech Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

My current job has given me firsthand experience with how people respond to being given "free" money, and I can tell you for a fact that it does not lift them out of poverty or have any lasting positive impact on their lives. The second the money runs out, they are either right back where they started or even worse off than they were before.
    IIRC, there have been a number of studies conducted on what happens to a substantial portion of winners of lotteries who get large sums of money that shows exactly that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Exactly. And it's not rude to say so.
      This is one area where Trump actually justified his claim by saying (as others have brought up) that France should look after France's interests first, etc...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

IIRC, there have been a number of studies conducted on what happens to a substantial portion of winners of lotteries who get large sums of money that shows exactly that.
        It's the old "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" adage. Give a man $10,000 and he'll blow it on a new TV and video games and then cry about how his landlord is about to evict him because he's behind on his rent.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's the old "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" adage. Give a man $10,000 and he'll blow it on a new TV and video games and then cry about how his landlord is about to evict him because he's behind on his rent.
          We see this EVERY DAY at our faith-based help center -- people come in to get help with rent or groceries or utilities -- and they've got the latest iPhone with unlimited plan....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We see this EVERY DAY at our faith-based help center -- people come in to get help with rent or groceries or utilities -- and they've got the latest iPhone with unlimited plan....
            Many moons ago, when I was doing some research for a radio station talk show in exchange for access to LexisNexis, the host (who later switched stations and eventually became nationally syndicated) was upset about a story in the local paper complaining how a woman couldn't afford to feed her son when school was out. There was a picture of them sitting on a couch, on the front page of the local section, and the host of the show was pointing out the carton of cigarettes, bag from McDonalds and the brand new expensive tennis shoes/sneakers that the kid was wearing. He was noting that if they had the money for those things then they would have had the money for his lunch if they just made some better choices.

And like the older couple I stood behind in a gas station talking about how they hoped Al Gore won the 2000 election so they could afford their prescriptions all while buying several hundred dollars worth of lottery tickets. And given the way they were listing out the various types of cards they wanted (give me 10 of the $5 "Super Scratch-offs", 10 of the $2 "Big Pay-out" cards etc[1]) it was obvious that they did this a lot.

1. I don't have any idea what the names off the various types of cards they were actually buying, but the way they kept rattling them off indicated that they were old hands at this and quite familiar with the types they wanted

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Many moons ago, when I was doing some research for a radio station talk show in exchange for access to LexisNexis, the host (who later switched stations and eventually became nationally syndicated) was upset about a story in the local paper complaining how a woman couldn't afford to feed her son when school was out. There was a picture of them sitting on a couch, on the front page of the local section, and the host of the show was pointing out the carton of cigarettes, bag from McDonalds and the brand new expensive tennis shoes/sneakers that the kid was wearing. He was noting that if they had the money for those things then they would have had the money for his lunch if they just made some better choices.

And like the older couple I stood behind in a gas station talking about how they hoped Al Gore won the 2000 election so they could afford their prescriptions all while buying several hundred dollars worth of lottery tickets. And given the way they were listing out the various types of cards they wanted (give me 10 of the $5 "Super Scratch-offs", 10 of the $2 "Big Pay-out" cards etc[1]) it was obvious that they did this a lot.

1. I don't have any idea what the names off the various types of cards they were actually buying, but the way they kept rattling them off indicated that they were old hands at this and quite familiar with the types they wanted
              Yes sir - one of the major reasons we started our help center years ago was, well...
              A) to help those who truly needed help
              2) to offer a "clearing house" to the local churches who repeatedly get scammed with sob stories from people working the system

When somebody stops by our church or calls and asks for help, we refer them to the help center (where we send our money) and they'll often say "well, I tried that, and they refused to help me".

I always knew that meant they were either lying or scamming or... we NEVER turn down people needing assistance without good reason.

Comment

Giving people free stuff doesn't help them. 'Free Stuff' Bernie would have bankrupted and corrupted this country further that it already is. Living off handouts lowers the dignity of a person.

The Indian Reservation system is a example of corruption that happens when people are not given the dignity of working for themselves and earning income. The people living on them for the most part are given handouts and not taught to work for themselves. There's crime on those reservations that goes unreported. They are the poorest parts of our country and also have high crime rates. I had a missionary friend the disappeared on one of the reservations three years ago. They still have not found him.

Comment

Yes sir - one of the major reasons we started our help center years ago was, well...
                  A) to help those who truly needed help
                  2) to offer a "clearing house" to the local churches who repeatedly get scammed with sob stories from people working the system

When somebody stops by our church or calls and asks for help, we refer them to the help center (where we send our money) and they'll often say "well, I tried that, and they refused to help me".

I always knew that meant they were either lying or scamming or... we NEVER turn down people needing assistance without good reason.
                  Some people are just really terrible with money. They're the ones who are shocked at how much money they spent with their credit card(s) never thinking about how it all adds up. Or buy stuff from rent to own places because its "only" $25 a month not stopping to think that considering how long that "only" will take that they're paying about four times as much as they should be.

The best help for folks like that would be a course on money management.

Comment

And people that win lotteries very quickly blow it and end up poor again.

Comment

Some people are just really terrible with money. They're the ones who are shocked at how much money they spent with their credit card(s) never thinking about how it all adds up. Or buy stuff from rent to own places because its "only" $25 a month not stopping to think that considering how long that "only" will take that they're paying about four times as much as they should be.

We actually do that in our "Jobs for Life" program, which is a requirement for anybody needing long term assistance.

I call this my "$1,000 toolbox".

toolbox.jpg

I bought with my FIRST EVER credit card when I was 18 - a Sears "Revolving Credit" card, which meant I only had to pay $19 a month. Which I did. Month after Month. To the point where this toolbox cost me nearly $1,000 (in addition to a few other tools I bought to go in it).

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
                        Giving people free stuff doesn't help them. 'Free Stuff' Bernie would have bankrupted and corrupted this country further that it already is. Living off handouts lowers the dignity of a person.

The Indian Reservation system is a example of corruption that happens when people are not given the dignity of working for themselves and earning income. The people living on them for the most part are given handouts and not taught to work for themselves. There's crime on those reservations that goes unreported. They are the poorest parts of our country and also have high crime rates. I had a missionary friend the disappeared on one of the reservations three years ago. They still have not found him.
                        Yep. My wife loves her family and heritage, but she is beyond glad she escaped that cycle of reservation life because she's seen so many friends and family waste away their lives and health living fruitlessly on the government dole on the reservation she grew up on.

Comment

Yeah! I just bought my dog a laptop with my $600! I was tired of him hogging mine to post on Facebook.

Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah! I just bought my dog a laptop with my $600! I was tired of him hogging mine to post on Facebook.

Money well spent!
                            You got GIMME MONEY already?

Comment

When Trump used the phrase he often made the point that people living in other countries ought to have the same sort of philosophy. The French should be wanting to put France first, Finns ought to be striving to put Finland first, Mexicans should be thinking about putting Mexico first etc. That isn't rude. It's just common sense.
                              It's so common sense that it needn't be said, especially with the stink Trump attached to it and potential to destroy the remaining good will we have with the rest of the world.

I take your word for it that Trump defined it to take the edge off the phrase, but it doesn't look good when we're the only one using that phrase and lead the world in consumption and empire building.

Comment

You got GIMME MONEY already?
                                yeah about two weeks ago. Benefits of being a Pirate. Professional Courtesy.

Comment