Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Allegations of Capitol ‘reconnaissance’ tours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post

Meanwhile, the rallies....
    If Trump is banned from running again, he won't be able to declare candidacy for 2024 and he won't be able to fund raise for a campaign. Rallies are expensive. Also, many cities will be reluctant to host rallies of his fans given Jan 6.

Trump's approval rating is now the lowest since his inauguration, and once out of office he loses the bully pulpit of the Presidency. He has also lost his voice on major social media sites. I do think Trump's fan base will continue to erode.

He will go the way of Sarah Palin, who, once out of office and without a political platform, faded into obscurity. Palin was once immensely popular in the RW, and although Trump is much more popular than she was, he will follow her path although it will take much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by casaba View Post
      Any body else thinking that we may be seeing the resignation of one or more Representative?
      I saw a video this morning from the Capitol riot. It showed a woman with a bullhorn directing people through a broken window into the Capitol. She was giving them directions for once they got into the building. She said something like - once you get in, turn right, and when you see a set of double doors in front of you, go through them and then ...

Sure sounds like she was well prepared in advance with knowledge of the layout of the building.

This also adds to the evidence that this was a preplanned break-in, not a spontaneous event after the Trump rally.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

If Trump is banned from running again, he won't be able to declare candidacy for 2024 and he won't be able to fund raise for a campaign...
        I thought the Left plan was to prosecute Trump for all sorts of crimes once he leaves office; almost a guarantee for convictions.

If so, a convicted felon can't run for president anyway. Isn't this a waste of time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I thought the Left plan was to prosecute Trump for all sorts of crimes once he leaves office; almost a guarantee for convictions.

If so, a convicted felon can't run for president anyway. Isn't this a waste of time?
          A convicted felon can run.

Comment

Any criminal charges will take years before the court cases are heard, and then there will be appeals. In the meantime, he could declare his candidacy the day after Biden's inauguration, as he did the day after his own inauguration, and begin fundraising.

If Congress uses the 14th amendment to deny him the right to hold public office, the effect would be immediate.

Comment

Any criminal charges will take years before the court cases are heard, and then there will be appeals. In the meantime, he could declare his candidacy the day after Biden's inauguration, as he did the day after his own inauguration, and begin fundraising.

If Congress uses the 14th amendment to deny him the right to hold public office, the effect would be immediate.
              So, congress can declare hes guilty of insurrection and bar him? Could a gop congress abuse that precedent?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, congress can declare hes guilty of insurrection and bar him? Could a gop congress abuse that precedent?
                Ten Republicans voted for his impeachment this time around, and the vote to bar him from public office would only need a simple majority.

Comment

I wrote my opinion on this and you dismissed it.
                  Because I don't care about your opinion. I was asking for facts.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Because I don't care about your opinion. I was asking for facts.
                    The facts are Trump begged for a final epic backlash. The fact is, you wanted him to be successful and his ego flipped you the bird.

Comment

The facts are Trump begged for a final epic backlash. The fact is, you wanted him to be successful and his ego flipped you the bird.
                      This reminds me of the old joke about a guy preparing a speech who writes in the margin, "Weak point. Yell louder."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This reminds me of the old joke about a guy preparing a speech who writes in the margin, "Weak point. Yell louder."
                        Precisely the calculus of Trump’s speech editors.

Comment

Ten Republicans voted for his impeachment this time around, and the vote to bar him from public office would only need a simple majority.
                          After conviction. You realize you have to convict first, right?

Comment

After conviction. You realize you have to convict first, right?
                            A lot of low information liberals don't seem to understand that impeachment is merely an indictment and doesn't prove guilt.

Comment

A convicted felon can run.
                              A convicted felon can hold office but can't vote?

Comment

A convicted felon can hold office but can't vote?
                                The thing is, for offices like the president, the requirements are set by the constitution.

Congress/states can't add stipulations.

The bigger question for those offices is whether congress/the voters will approve of the felon.

Comment