Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House impeaches Trump again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House impeaches Trump again...

The House has just voted to impeach President Trump for the second time – making him the only US president to ever be impeached twice.

The impeachment resolution the House voted on, which passed 232 to 197, charges Trump with a single article, “incitement of insurrection” for his role in last week’s deadly Capitol riot.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

So, if Trump gets removed, Pence becomes the POTUS for a few days, and Pelosi becomes the first woman Vice President, pulling the rug from Kamala Harris...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The Senate is going to ignore this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        The Senate is going to ignore this.
        Chuckles Schumaker seems to think different...
        That's what
        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Chuckles Schumaker seems to think different...
          Eh... But he's not in charge. McConnell said the Senate would not waste time with it if it came their way.

Comment

I stand corrected. McConnell said he wouldn't push this up the calendar or call for a special session. That means if the Senate votes on it, it will be after Biden takes office. So it would be nothing but symbolism.

Comment

Nobody's talking about the real questions. Like if Mike Pence was president for two days, would he still be required to build his own presidential library?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Eh... But he's not in charge. McConnell said the Senate would not waste time with it if it came their way.
                But at least a week, and McConnel has OFTEN clarified that the job of the Senate is to slow things down - to be the "cooling saucer" of the hot cup of coffee.

It's quite possible, then, that he will actually allow a TRIAL, with actual evidence, facts, timelines, testimony.... wouldn't THAT be novel?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Nobody's talking about the real questions. Like if Mike Pence was president for two days, would he still be required to build his own presidential library?

Go to your room!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But at least a week, and McConnel has OFTEN clarified that the job of the Senate is to slow things down - to be the "cooling saucer" of the hot cup of coffee.

It's quite possible, then, that he will actually allow a TRIAL, with actual evidence, facts, timelines, testimony.... wouldn't THAT be novel?
                    Yes, it would be novel for the Senate to have a trial this time, since McConnell refused to have an actual trial with witnesses the first time Trump was impeached.
                    Given that McConnell is on the fence about whether to vote for impeachment, and seems eager to get Trump out of a leadership position in the GOP, I think he will do whatever will strip power from Trump.

Comment

I stand corrected. McConnell said he wouldn't push this up the calendar or call for a special session. That means if the Senate votes on it, it will be after Biden takes office. So it would be nothing but symbolism.
                      More than symbolism. I understand that if Trump is convicted in the Senate, he can no longer hold public office again, he loses his pension and he loses his Secret Service protection. This is not trivial.

Comment

So, if Trump gets removed, Pence becomes the POTUS for a few days, and Pelosi becomes the first woman Vice President, pulling the rug from Kamala Harris...
                        And Pelosi has to resign her House seat...
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The House has just voted to impeach President Trump for the second time – making him the only US president to ever be impeached twice.

The impeachment resolution the House voted on, which passed 232 to 197, charges Trump with a single article, “incitement of insurrection” for his role in last week’s deadly Capitol riot.
                          Thank God! This will get rid of Trump before the end of the month!

Comment

And Pelosi has to resign her House seat...
                            The Senate won't be in session again until January 19, and there is no way to have a trial in a day, so Trump won't be removed early.

But if Trump actually did get removed before January 20, Pelosi wouldn't become VP. Pence would nominate a VP, to be confirmed by a majority vote of both houses of congress.

Comment

The Senate isn't likely to get it until McConnell is no longer in charge.

Comment