Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AOC...inciting an insurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Thank you.
    So, if all of that is out of your system...

Back to the topic of the OP.

Is it reasonable to assume that AOC, a person who gave "protesters" guidance on hiding their identities during the riots this summer, is calling for violence when she says there needs to be an "actual liberation of southern states" from the GOP?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, if all of that is out of your system...

Back to the topic of the OP.

Is it reasonable to assume that AOC, a person who gave "protesters" guidance on hiding their identities during the riots this summer, is calling for violence when she says there needs to be an "actual liberation of southern states" from the GOP?
      No - she's just talking about democrats gaining more traction in southern states - 'liberating' them from GOP control.

It's rather obvious from the context and from what appears to be the actual article on fox from which your quote is derived, which actually references her calls for Ted Cruz and Josh Howley to resign and states explicitly she is talking about GOP control of those legislatures and the structural racism that allows it to continue. It's really absurd to try to push that into some sort of equivalence with calling for an insurrection. She's just talking about continuing to work to give the minorities in Southern states a clear voice in their elections, as happened in GA.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...om-gop-control
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-13-2021, 04:36 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No - she's just talking about democrats gaining more traction in southern states - 'liberating' them from GOP control.

It's rather obvious from the context and from what appears to be the actual article on fox from which your quote is derived, which actually references her calls for Ted Cruz and Josh Howley to resign and states explicitly she is talking about GOP control of those legislatures and the structural racism that allows it to continue. It's really absurd to try to push that into some sort of equivalence with calling for an insurrection. She's just talking about continuing to work to give the minorities in Southern states a clear voice in their elections, as happened in GA.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc...om-gop-control
        I would say that it's not "obvious" at all. She's talking about forcing congressmen out of their seats, and talking about "actual" liberation.

The only thing she mentions is that the grass roots efforts proved they were "suppressed states", not that it was just about legislatures.

Comment

I would say that it's not "obvious" at all. She's talking about forcing congressmen out of their seats, and talking about "actual" liberation.

The only thing she mentions is that the grass roots efforts proved they were "suppressed states", not that it was just about legislatures.
          No - she's not. you know it, I know it.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No - she's not. you know it, I know it.
            I wouldn't count on it. Like I said, she put out a graphic during the summer riots telling people how to hide their identity while "protesting" under the guise of protesting safely.

Why would someone need to hide their identity while protesting?

Comment

I wouldn't count on it. Like I said, she put out a graphic during the summer riots telling people how to hide their identity while "protesting" under the guise of protesting safely.

Why would someone need to hide their identity while protesting?
              A lot of reasons - but I'm not trying to justify AOC outside of the fact there is nothing in what she said that even hints at a violent insurrection.

And I'm not an AOC supporter by any stretch.

Comment

A lot of reasons - but I'm not trying to justify AOC outside of the fact there is nothing in what she said that even hints at a violent insurrection.

And I'm not an AOC supporter by any stretch.
                Oh, I disagree.

I am done giving her the benefit of the doubt. It's entirely possible given her history of supporting violent riots that she was encouraging violent behavior. Even if she threw in a few CYA's.

Comment

Oh, I disagree.

I am done giving her the benefit of the doubt. It's entirely possible given her history of supporting violent riots that she was encouraging violent behavior. Even if she threw in a few CYA's.
                  And now she's suggesting the need to "reign in" the media.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, I disagree.

I wouldn't really be able to argue one way or the other in terms of AOC. I tend to think the buzz about her in conservative circles in terms of her being
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Fidel Castro's niece

is overblown.

I know for a fact the comments she made you referenced above are not any sort of call to insurrection.

Comment

I wouldn't really be able to argue one way or the other in terms of AOC. I tend to think the buzz about her in conservative circles in terms of her being
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Fidel Castro's niece

is overblown.

I know for a fact the comments she made you referenced above are not any sort of call to insurrection.
                      There are alot of similarities between her and trump. Cults of personality, thin skin, needs to lash out, populist appeals, authoritarian bent.

Remember, she did call for an enemies list.

Comment

There are alot of similarities between her and trump. Cults of personality, thin skin, needs to lash out, populist appeals, authoritarian bent.

Remember, she did call for an enemies list.
                        She is a very vindictive little snit - perhaps that's why Pelosi likes her.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

She is a very vindictive little snit - perhaps that's why Pelosi likes her.
                          Pelosi....doesn't like her.

Comment

Pelosi....doesn't like her.
                            Ah -- competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah -- competition?
                              Well, AOC challenges her power, primaries incumbents, and has called her a racist. None of that really sits well with Pelosi. Pelosi has made a few snide comments in her direction in the past. The latest when she said aoc's comment was "kind of sharp"

Comment

Well, AOC challenges her power, primaries incumbents, and has called her a racist. None of that really sits well with Pelosi. Pelosi has made a few snide comments in her direction in the past. The latest when she said aoc's comment was "kind of sharp"
                                Good points, all.

Comment