Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ISP censorship

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ISP censorship

    So now ISP providers are in the game.

    Perhaps ISP access to content will start to look like the red state blue state maps.

    Wasn't hard to predict, it has one more level to go and the leftist dreams of silencing their hated opponents will be complete, and we can all retreat to echo chambers.

    https://www.krem.com/mobile/article/...6-8d800d2a03fb

  • #2
    This is like locking on the lid and turning up the heat on a pressure cooker. Free speech is the release valve.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      This is like locking on the lid and turning up the heat on a pressure cooker. Free speech is the release valve.
      There's reddit on that under the title: Citing 'censorship' concerns, North Idaho internet provider blocks Facebook, Twitter

      It's funny watching the "THIS IS WHY WE NEED NET NUETRALITY" complaints.

      My favorite exchange:
      Aaaand this right here is part of why net neutrality is really Edited by a Moderator important.

      I don't want my ISP to determine what is "okay" for me to see. That's not their role.
      But it’s okay for Twitter, and Facebook to decide?
      Yes, it's their platform.
      Moderated By: CP

      Please watch the profanity in material you copy/paste

      ***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

      Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

        There's reddit on that under the title: Citing 'censorship' concerns, North Idaho internet provider blocks Facebook, Twitter
        Yes, the world is an insane asylum, and it's being run by the inmates.

        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is like locking on the lid and turning up the heat on a pressure cooker. Free speech is the release valve.
          The next and bottom level is ICANN, they can start cancelling addresses.

          I think there is a very good chance this can race to the bottom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

            The next and bottom level is ICANN, they can start cancelling addresses.

            I think there is a very good chance this can race to the bottom.
            So, the way the left 'manages' opposition is an iron fisted clamping down of free speech and rights, much faster than any communist country has ever managed to accomplish. After all, they have the technology.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              Pretty ironic an ISP saying they don't agree with Facebook and Twitter's censorship of others so they censored them.

              Comment


              • #8
                The ISP attempted to censor websites for the sake of Trump and liberals have long been champions of net neutrality. Framing this as the road to a leftist dream is absurd.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                  So, the way the left 'manages' opposition is an iron fisted clamping down of free speech and rights, much faster than any communist country has ever managed to accomplish. After all, they have the technology.
                  It is interesting watching them defend censorship as defensible censorship. In a normal world this would come back and bite them. This is not a normal world though.

                  The company said they had some complaints, so they took action. Much like liberals have complained to companies about bathrooms and such, and those companies jumped.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                    The ISP attempted to censor websites for the sake of Trump and liberals have long been champions of net neutrality. Framing this as the road to a leftist dream is absurd.
                    If you read what the company said, they acted on complaints from their clients. Their clients don't want their children to see those sites. This could replicate accross red states, who knows. Sorry if you don't agree.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      The ISP attempted to censor websites for the sake of Trump and liberals have long been champions of net neutrality. Framing this as the road to a leftist dream is absurd.
                      Yes, they've been champions of Net Neutrality, saying we can't trust corporations to choose what speech we see or hear...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        The ISP attempted to censor websites for the sake of Trump and liberals have long been champions of net neutrality.
                        Liberals seem mostly silent on the partisanship and censorship that has been taking place recently. So long as Big Tech carry water for Democrats, I seriously doubt Democrats will do anything about it. Looks like they're in cahoots from a distance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ronson View Post

                          Liberals seem mostly silent on the partisanship and censorship that has been taking place recently. So long as Big Tech carry water for Democrats, I seriously doubt Democrats will do anything about it. Looks like they're in cahoots from a distance.
                          Because it's ridiculous for conservatives to expect social media sites to suffer extremists regardless of their political affiliation. Everyone who uses them complains about bad actors, and while the recent purge is only happening because it's convenient, it's still progress. There are plenty of wealthy Republicans who are free to make superior social media sites if conservatives believe they're facing injustice. Aren't you a libertarian? Why do you care about private companies deciding what customers to serve?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

                            If you read what the company said, they acted on complaints from their clients. Their clients don't want their children to see those sites. This could replicate accross red states, who knows. Sorry if you don't agree.
                            Complaints from their clients after Trump was banned.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                              So now ISP providers are in the game.

                              Perhaps ISP access to content will start to look like the red state blue state maps.

                              Wasn't hard to predict, it has one more level to go and the leftist dreams of silencing their hated opponents will be complete, and we can all retreat to echo chambers.

                              https://www.krem.com/mobile/article/...6-8d800d2a03fb
                              Mostly what I see in the complaints in this thread is that many that post here want the right to promte hatred and organize violent uprisings against the government using the internet without "big brother" getting in the way.
                              He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

                              "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Ronson, Today, 09:17 AM
                              18 responses
                              78 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by Mountain Man, Yesterday, 10:00 AM
                              20 responses
                              135 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:45 AM
                              75 responses
                              439 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post EvoUK
                              by EvoUK
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM
                              45 responses
                              298 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by Ronson, 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM
                              34 responses
                              185 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X