Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is it POSSIBLE for Biden to be a REAL Statesman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Look it up -- what did he accomplish?
    The one thing he actually did accomplish in his 47 years in Washington he had to disown. That was the get tough on crime bill that ended up sending a disproportionate number of blacks to prison.

But he did try to stop the desegregation of schools -- working hand in glove together with probably the most virulently racist man in the Senate, crafting legislation opposing school desegregation in the 1970s because, in Biden's words, integrating black students would mean that his kids will go to schools that would become "a jungle - a racial jungle" during a Senate hearing on school busing.

"Unless we do something about this, my children are going to grow up in a jungle, the jungle being a racial jungle with tensions having built so high that it is going to explode at some point. We have got to make some move on this."

Interesting that he choose the word "jungle" considering it's blatantly racist loaded meaning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Oh sparky is that all you have? At least make the discussion worthwhile:+{
      I am serious, he doesn't sound like he is really angry but just reading a teleprompter. He is a very bad actor.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Biden had much more control of his mental faculties 4 years ago than he does now. You can even see the rapid deterioration in just the past year or so. So claiming he didn't act out of control 4 to 12 years ago is not really saying very much.
        I think he is very strong, speaking with great clarity and determination even moreso than during the election which would be a nervous time for anyone. I have no concerns and I have dealt with older people over the years and see no such 'rapid deterioration.' And bottom line, I consider the county much safer with him than it ever was with trump who is deranged.

Comment

I think he is very strong, speaking with great clarity and determination even moreso than during the election which would be a nervous time for anyone. I have no concerns and I have dealt with older people over the years and see no such 'rapid deterioration.' And bottom line, I consider the county much safer with him than it ever was with trump who is deranged.
          Are you talking about the same man who when he tried to quote the Declaration Of Independence after winning the South Carolina primary[1], saying "We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the... [awkward pause]... you know, you know, the thing."

Or who confused his wife for his sister after Super Tuesday (which he had kept calling Super Thursday) -- and his excuse that they switched sides behind him was not borne out.

Or when he declared that he is an "O'Biden-Bama Democrat" and told people if they don't like him then "vote for the other Biden"[2]

Or all of the times he told supporters to vote for him for Senate while out campaigning for president.

Or when Biden Appears to Forget Name of Great Recession and Gets Mistaken Over $800 Billion Stimulus Package He Oversaw

Or when his wife Jill had to deliver his speech for him with old Joe just standing their by her side with a sad frown on his face.

Or when he apparently forgot what he was doing during a televised speech and just wandered away.

Or the times he kept forgetting Obama's name -- once while even talking about cognitive decline, saying things like "By the way, are you gonna stick with President on the following, President... [awkward pause], the last guy, on this issue?" and during a Town Hall in August, "Because they invaded another country and annexed a significant portion of it called Crimea. He's saying that it was President... [awkward long pause] ...my boss. It was his fault."

You don’t just "forget” the name of the president you served as Vice President under for eight years a mere 4 years ago. Considering how much of Biden’s campaign centered on his being the VP in the Obama Administration, it isn't like he isn't constantly bringing up his name -- when he can remember it.

Likewise, he forgot Mitt Romney's name, someone who, considering that he along with Obama ran against him in the 2012 presidential race, you'd think he would remember. "You may remember, I got in trouble when we were running against the senator who was a Mormon, the governor, OK?"

And look at how he kept forgetting Trump's name like during an interview where he accidentally calling him George at one point "because of who I’m running against…George, ah, George" apparently confusing him with George W. Bush (who he once said was "the last president")[3]

Again it isn't like he isn't hearing Trump's name a zillion times a day[4]

When you couple this with Biden routinely forgetting where he is, what he's even saying, and slurring his speech[5] , it's not exactly going far out on a limb to say that there is something wrong with him. Especially when you listen to him talk just a few years ago. Sure, he's always had the reputation for being a human gaffe machine but this is very different.

And remember, old Joe was seen very little during the time when all of this was happening. Most of the time he was staying away from cameras, like the period from March until the last week in August of last year where old Joe was hiding in the basement making no in-person speeches or campaign appearances for nearly half of a year. Just imagine how long the above list would be if he hadn't been doing that!

1. at the same event where he made up the bizarre claim that he had been arrested and jailed in South Africa "on the streets of Soweto trying to get to see [Nelson Mandela] on Robbens Island"

2. perhaps he meant his deceased son Beau who old Joe told us on election day had been Senator

3. Take a look at his wife's face as she tries to nudge him and says "Trump" under her breath after he does it

4. this is an example of hyperbole for those liberals who have trouble grasping it.

5. and please don't insult everyone's intelligence by claiming his gobbledygook/gibberish slurring like "trunalimunumaprzure" is stuttering. We can tell the difference.
          Last edited by rogue06; 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• rogue06
            rogue06 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll note that I can actually sympathize with him about forgetting people's names. I do it all of the time. But what is different is that I've had that problem for as long as I can remember. With Biden this isn't the case. He didn't have a reputation of having such a terrible memory previously. This is something new

The same sort of denialist "humor" that has people seriously claiming that the Biden Obama Administration was scandal free.
          Denialist humor? Really? And 'has people' sounds like trump's go to 'many people say or think this or that' which, of course, always favors trump.

Here you go: President Donald Trump said he would like to fight Joe Biden most "of all the people in the world"........
          And lets' not forget that Biden was talking about a hypothetical high school fight: Biden, said he would have beat the hell out of trump had they been in high school together.

There were other leaders who got Covid who I guess followed strict protocols but I have no present idea who they are?? Also, the fact is that trump didn't and got it, while Joe did and didn't get it. Then there are all the others in trump's orbit who also didn't follow strict protocols and paid the price. I don't bet on people's health since there are too many unknowns but the donald did get special treatment (do you think he really had it?).

I like graveyards, like those in Charleston, full of history but I typically refrain from whistling past them.

Actually we have seen Biden quite a bit and I really did enjoy his debate when he called trump on his interruptions and showed a little disgust, a little anger (speaking for many, many in the audience). Plus trump, remember those Covid briefings, was always on script which was always about him and his weird little cures. Ah, thank god those days are gone. Trump never really answered questions but he did always deflect :+}

Of course 'kicking Putin's behind' was not to be taken literally (I mean they were both leaders in their countries each with nuclear weapon). This is what I was referring to: Biden's 2011 visit (and remember Bush's comment about Putin for context) with Putin and he said, "Mr. Prime Minister, I’m looking into your eyes, and I don’t think you have a soul.” Putin's response:. “......‘We understand one another." So much more than trump, who embarrassed the US. Thus a good sign for me (no whole cloth) and the USA.

I was serious and not, unlike trump, delusional. You really need to stop listening to the trump machine, so I give you this: "American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops ...." Some of us listen to and respect the American Intelligence agencies and not the trump machine. Plus, the only option, if trump had the brass to act, was not to declare war - come on now, reality check.

Oh god, more trump talking points on the MSM, spare me the delusions. And again I am not a CNN watcher.

I have dogs and Biden has big, very big dogs. And dogs are powerful little (or big) things. When I was in high school at 6'1" 200 lbs. my little dog was running like a bat out of hell and hit my leg just right and I flew up in the air and came down for a not too smooth landing. Thank god I was young. Don't mess with dogs, little or big :+} I feel for Joe but he is tough: a 77 year old guy up and at it the very same day. Go Joe. Donald is too scare to have a dog, can't trust a guy who is afeared of dogs.

Good lord, do us all a favor review what he did as VP.
          Last edited by thormas; 01-12-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I'm just amazed at how the Democrats are playing right into the hands of their enemies. I can't figure out if they're that stupid or that evil.
            Democrats don’t have enemies, just friends or fruitcakes. They are the people’s Party and despite all the usual headwinds from the crackpot right wing media, they are dearly loved. Let’s all pray for Biden’s vigour and success.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Your post was so long not sure if I missed something.

Hey don't confuse Biden with trump and groping women, cheating on every wife he had (or will have) and having to pay for services. Yeah the poster boy for grouping.

And I still think catching himself ("fat") and changing in mid sentence was remarkable and astute. Sadly the donald never was so self aware.

Fighting trump was no fantasy, it was more a time travel scenario and I would still have bet on Joe in the day: scrappy Delaware kid vs. a pamper little boy from NY. No contest.

Oh man you're one of those China virus guys? Don't worry you should heal after 1/20 :+}
              And actually Joe is still following strict protocols and listening to medical advise, while trump - of course not and doing nothing while thousands die daily.

Ok I think I covered everything and that was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am serious, he doesn't sound like he is really angry but just reading a teleprompter. He is a very bad actor.
                Ok........so that is all you have.

Comment

Ok........so that is all you have.
                  I am talking about in his speeches. Of course when he is actually angry you can tell. Rogue gave examples of such.

Comment

Denialist humor? Really? And 'has people' sounds like trump's go to 'many people say or think this or that' which, of course, always favors trump.

Here you go: President Donald Trump said he would like to fight Joe Biden most "of all the people in the world"........
                    How many ligaments did you pull making that stretch? He was talking about running against him not engaging in an actual physical fight

So not even close to talking about literally physically assaulting someone like old Joe did when he said he wished he could "take [Trump] behind the gym and beat the hell out of him" and "smack[ing] him in the mouth."

You really should be embarrassed

And lets' not forget that Biden was talking about a hypothetical high school fight: Biden, said he would have beat the hell out of trump had they been in high school together
                    He is still talking about a desire to physically attack him. You can't sugar coat that enough to make it go away.

There were other leaders who got Covid who I guess followed strict protocols but I have no present idea who they are?? Also, the fact is that trump didn't and got it, while Joe did and didn't get it. Then there are all the others in trump's orbit who also didn't follow strict protocols and paid the price. I don't bet on people's health since there are too many unknowns but the donald did get special treatment (do you think he really had it?).
                    Harris went out marching with demonstrators during the riots last year. Many of who weren't wearing masks and neither they or she were maintaining social distancing because as was often expressed at the time to excuse this sort of behavior "social justice is more important than social distancing." And a couple weeks later we started witnessing the resurgence of the Chicom coronavirus.

Actually we have seen Biden quite a bit and I really did enjoy his debate when he called trump on his interruptions and showed a little disgust, a little anger (speaking for many, many in the audience). Plus trump, remember those Covid briefings, was always on script which was always about him and his weird little cures. Ah, thank god those days are gone. Trump never really answered questions but he did always deflect :+}
                    You can remember the times you saw Biden because there was so few of them. And remember how his handlers adamantly refused to allow drug testing of Biden or Trump prior to the debate? There are drugs that one can take to help clear up the mind for a short while, but they don't last long and become less and less effective as time goes on. In public Biden was saying that he'd gladly submit to any sort of testing but his keepers were making darn sure that he never did.

Of course 'kicking Putin's behind' was not to be taken literally (I mean they were both leaders in their countries each with nuclear weapon). This is what I was referring to: Biden's 2011 visit (and remember Bush's comment about Putin for context) with Putin and he said, "Mr. Prime Minister, I’m looking into your eyes, and I don’t think you have a soul.” Putin's response:. “......‘We understand one another." So much more than trump, who embarrassed the US. Thus a good sign for me (no whole cloth) and the USA
                    Or figuratively for that matter. It was just something you made up out of whole cloth hoping to slip it through. And trying to distract attention from that by bringing up Bush's idiotic statement doesn't help or change the fact what you said wasn't even remotely true.

I was serious and not, unlike trump, delusional. You really need to stop listening to the trump machine, so I give you this: "American intelligence officials have concluded that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces in Afghanistan — including targeting American troops ...." Some of us listen to and respect the American Intelligence agencies and not the trump machine. Plus, the only option, if trump had the brass to act, was not to declare war - come on now, reality check.
                    We had the usual unnamed sources as opposed to those directly involved and publicly stating that there was no evidence to back it up. It was only a rumor.

Oh god, more trump talking points on the MSM, spare me the delusions. And again I am not a CNN watcher.
                    I never said you were and trying to pretend that was the issue is not helping you here. It is just more obvious attempts to distract and deflect.

The fact is that Trump while saying nice things about Putin in public was rough on him in action. This has been his way for decades as anyone who has read his 1987 book The Art of the Deal realizes. It's why so many people say don't pay so much attention on what Trump says but focus on what he does.

This is why even CNN has finally come out an admitted that "the Trump Administration was pretty tough on the Russians." So continue to ignore that and summarily dismiss the multiple examples I provided demonstrating that Trump was anything but soft on the Russians since it obviously upsets your worldview, and we can't have nasty things like facts do that can we?

I have dogs and Biden has big, very big dogs. And dogs are powerful little (or big) things. When I was in high school at 6'1" 200 lbs. my little dog was running like a bat out of hell and hit my leg just right and I flew up in the air and came down for a not too smooth landing. Thank god I was young. Don't mess with dogs, little or big :+} I feel for Joe but he is tough: a 77 year old guy up and at it the very same day. Go Joe. Donald is too scare to have a dog, can't trust a guy who is afeared of dogs.
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

I guess a frail old and increasingly senile man like Biden should just resign himself to finding a nice comfortable chair to wile away his days. Maybe a cozy rocking chair with a pleasant view out of some window and a soft blanket to keep him warm

Comment

I am talking about in his speeches. Of course when he is actually angry you can tell. Rogue gave examples of such.
                      You do realize, don't you, that a writer might actually feel anger over something and also include it in writing in a speech s/he is about to give. Thus it is in the script but not really scripted in your meaning.

Comment

How many ligaments did you pull making that stretch? He was talking about running against him not engaging in an actual physical fight

So not even close to talking about literally physically assaulting someone like old Joe did when he said he wished he could "take [Trump] behind the gym and beat the hell out of him" and "smack[ing] him in the mouth."

You really should be embarrassed
                        I like it, a good and clever comeback. If I use it in the future, I'll cite you.
                        But this is just precious: trump was just saying he wanted to run against Biden.

However, for your edification:
                        At a campaign rally in Florida on Sunday, two days before the election, the president mocked Biden's appearance, saying he had weak legs, and referred to a comment Biden made in 2018 about beating up Trump if they were in high school. "Of all the people in the world that I could fight, that's probably the one I'd like to most fight," Trump said of Biden.

So, in his comments, he referred specifically to the Biden high school line about a fight and he said "(Biden) the one I'd like to most fight." Yeah no connection and trump was talking about running against him yet he was already running against him. Yikes. So let me ask, quoting you of course, "How many ligaments did you pull making that stretch?"

So, I checked and I'm not embarrassed .............but you do amuse me and I'm sure you are now really, really embarrassed. Thanks for a good laugh.
                        Last edited by thormas; 01-12-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I think the goal of Biden and the democrats is not to bring us together but to instigate more violence by the right by marginalizing and demonizing them as much as possible.
                          That was Obama's strategy, to be deliberately divisive with the goal of turning voters against each other instead of uniting and taking charge of the direction of the country. As the saying goes, when the people lead, the leaders will follow. Democrats keep stirring the pot in order to ensure that the people are never united enough to lead.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Perhaps Biden will challenge Putin to do pushups?
                            And based on what we know about Putin, he would gladly gladly accept that challenge and rip off ten pushups before Joe can even struggle through one.

Comment

[Joe Biden] was the VP for 8 years and in Congress - look it up, did he punch anybody out?
                              His cognitive decline seems to have only manifested itself within the past several years. Compare public events four years ago when he was strong and energetic to the very few he attends today where he talks quietly and appears so feeble that you fear a gust of wind will knock him over.

Comment