Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Did Trump Cause An Insurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Trump Cause An Insurrection?

Did he call for violence in his speech? Did he not tell the crowd to do the opposite - to act peacefully?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Those who hate Trump will see every justification in the world for trying Trump as an traitor -- we've already seen plenty of that mentality here.

Legally? No. Did he say some really stupid things? Absolutely, in my opinion.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Those who hate Trump will see every justification in the world for trying Trump as an traitor -- we've already seen plenty of that mentality here.

No one is saying what he actually said that would cause or incite violence. The main stream press is not even quoting him. Just that he did incite violence.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

No one is saying what he actually said that would cause or incite violence. The main stream press is not even quoting him. Just that he did incite violence.
        They pick little snippets, and blow that into assuming intent based on their own anger --- it would never fly in any actual court of law.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did he call for violence in his speech? Did he not tell the crowd to do the opposite - to act peacefully?
          As I have noted in other threads, if what Trump did was criminal the the leftist politicians who did the exact same thing wrt the protests that turned into riots last year are just as guilty.

You can't say one is guilty as sin and then say all the others who did the same thing are innocent (or as shuny keeps claiming, being slandered).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's what I want to know, what did the President say, in context, that would make him guilty of inciting violence or insurrection?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's what I want to know, what did the President say, in context, that would make him guilty of inciting violence or insurrection?
              It might be good to have them also cite the statute they would try to apply to those words to see if they meet the legal standard.

Comment

What did trump hope to achieve? This was an attempt to pressure congress and keep them from tallying the electoral college votes and formally declaring Biden the winner. Trump called his supporters out and wound them up with lie after lie then sent them marching on to congress in the deluded hope that his supporters would do something to allow him to illegally retain power.

You can call it whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I agree, he was egging the crowd on about how congress wasn't recounting the votes and the crowd took it as "well lets do something about it!" - he didn't directly tell them to attack the Capitol or congress, and I doubt he had any idea what reaction he was causing, He was reckless, but he never told them to invade congress. I do think there were a few in the crowd who did plan on doing something, and those were the ones leading the invasion. And they did find some pipe bombs so that means at least one person was planning ahead. But the overwhelming majority of the crowd was just bent on protesting outside the capitol and that is what they did.

Comment

He also told the crowd to 'go home' while calling them wonderful people (paraphrased) and telling them he loves them. In a cruder parlance, its acronym is 'CYA'.

Trump tends to send mixed messages when he as acting corruptly. The actual message is clear to all, while there are always a few CYA phrases salting it so his loyal defenders will have something to use during the ensuing fallout.

His son was clear. Giulianni was clear. Other speakers were clear. Trump was in the same lane, just with a few CYAs tossed in for good measure.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I agree, he was egging the crowd on about how congress wasn't recounting the votes and the crowd took it as "well lets do something about it!" - he didn't directly tell them to attack the Capitol or congress, and I doubt he had any idea what reaction he was causing, He was reckless, but he never told them to invade congress. I do think there were a few in the crowd who did plan on doing something, and those were the ones leading the invasion. And they did find some pipe bombs so that means at least one person was planning ahead. But the overwhelming majority of the crowd was just bent on protesting outside the capitol and that is what they did.
                      He knew - you are being too generous. It was all over the internet that there were those intending this, and only a complete fool would not recognize they were in that crowd and what they were going to try to do. Whatever trump is or is not, he's always up on internet chatter by those that support him.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                        What did trump hope to achieve? This was an attempt to pressure congress and keep them from tallying the electoral college votes and formally declaring Biden the winner. Trump called his supporters out and wound them up with lie after lie then sent them marching on to congress in the deluded hope that his supporters would do something to allow him to illegally retain power.

Sedition, insurrection are the technical terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

Hoping to rally as much visible support as possible to try and get the Rep senators to get onboard electoral contestation.

Comment

Yes they are. You'd know that if you'd ever actually watched them.

Comment

If not Trump, who? That was the culmination of a drawn out process to subvert the will of the American people. Lots of preparation leading up to the invasion of the Capitol and a very determined effort to undermine the validity of the election.

If Georgia acts, he could go to prison for up to 20 years.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment