Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Did Trump Cause An Insurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Esther View Post
    "Did Trump cause an insurrection"? My thinking is still that we are individually responsible for our own actions. If Trump told people to jump off the cliff would they. No.
    And that's the bottom line -- I had three friends who were there in DC when this happened, in very close proximity to what all occurred. I'm still gathering facts, but what you've seen in the media - particularly the TIMELINE - is nothing like what these men witnessed.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Just can't figure out who he reminds me of.
      Is it one of the disciples? Perhaps an apostle, like Paul? One of the early Church Fathers? Plato? Socrates - now that would be cool except for the hemlock. I'll give it some more thought.

BTW, the above is humor or even sarcasm, just in case you're perplexed.

Last edited by thormas; 01-13-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• GREAT JOB, Democrats!!! A CRAZED rush to judgment with NO trial and NO hearings and..... it will be interesting to see if this comes back to haunt you.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

GREAT JOB, Democrats!!! A CRAZED rush to judgment with NO trial and NO hearings and..... it will be interesting to see if this comes back to haunt you.
          I though initially this was sarcasm, in other words humor, joking not just saying something dumb. But then I remembered you really don't get or do humor so, as you have said in the past, it's just something dumb you're saying.

You do know that the House introduces and passes the articles of impeachment and the Senate is where the person being impeached faces a trial. Right?

It's in the constitution, you do know about the constitution, right? Just trying (no pun intended) to help :+}

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

I though initially this was sarcasm, in other words humor, joking not just saying something dumb. But then I remembered you really don't get or do humor so, as you have said in the past, it's just something dumb you're saying.

You do know that the House introduces and passes the articles of impeachment and the Senate is where the person being impeached faces a trial. Right?

It's in the constitution, you do know about the constitution, right? Just trying (no pun intended) to help :+}
            Your profound ignorance of all things constitutional is duly noted.

The House "tries" the matter for basis in fact, and if the articles of impeachment are approved, it goes to the Senate for the trial to establish punishment.
            It's similar to a trial to assess guilt - then another portion of the trial to establish sentencing.

Never in the history of the Republic has an impeachment been rushed so recklessly without investigation, testimony, witnesses, evidence...

Comment

Your profound ignorance of all things constitutional is duly noted.

The House "tries" the matter for basis in fact, and if the articles of impeachment are approved, it goes to the Senate for the trial to establish punishment.
              It's similar to a trial to assess guilt - then another portion of the trial to establish sentencing.

Never in the history of the Republic has an impeachment been rushed so recklessly without investigation, testimony, witnesses, evidence...
              You typed some really stupid stuff, then tried to recover and failed miserably.

The House debates and then votes; the Senate conducts the trial. Just admit it, don't quibble, putting tries in quotes doesn't change the fact that a trial is a trial and is the purview of the Senate.

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but given this weasely move, it just comes off slimly, dishonest, hypocritical.
              A real shame but just run away old poke - your ignorance fills a library.

And, you're welcome :+}
              Last edited by thormas; 01-13-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

"Did Trump cause an insurrection"? My thinking is still that we are individually responsible for our own actions. If Trump told people to jump off the cliff would they. No.
                People are responsible for their own actions as is trump. The act of inciting an insurrection by itself is a crime independent to the participation of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

Yep. The closest easy-to-understand analogy I can think of is the House acts sort of like a Grand Jury and decides whether to indict or not, and then if they do 'indict', it goes to trial in court (i.e. the Senate) to determine guilt and punishment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep. The closest easy-to-understand analogy I can think of is the House acts sort of like a Grand Jury and decides whether to indict or not, and then if they do 'indict', it goes to trial in court (i.e. the Senate) to determine guilt and punishment.
                    Yes, the impeachment process is like that, only not exactly. I would say it's kind of a mixture between that, and the two parts of a criminal trial where, first it is determined if the person is guilty, then another portion of the trial to determine the consequences.

The only reason I'm not wild about the Grand Jury analogy is because it's so easy to indict -- the defense is not allowed to make their case to a Grand Jury, and the prosecution often declines to present any exculpatory evidence.

Comment

GREAT JOB, Democrats!!! A CRAZED rush to judgment with NO trial and NO hearings and..... it will be interesting to see if this comes back to haunt you.
                      Well, not exactly crazed. Crazed is calling your VP a coward on Twitter. Crazed is lying to millions that you've been defrauded an election win, making them feel...feelings.

One could say that came back to haunt Republicans.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post

Well, not exactly crazed. Crazed is calling your VP a coward on Twitter. Crazed is lying to millions that you've been defrauded an election win, making them feel...feelings.

One could say that came back to haunt Republicans.
                        One could say there's PLENTY of crazed in DC.

Comment

One could say there's PLENTY of crazed in DC.
                          Trump won the crazy contest, so there's a small victory for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post

Trump won the crazy contest, so there's a small victory for him.
                            Glad you're back, Whag.

Comment

And that's the bottom line -- I had three friends who were there in DC when this happened, in very close proximity to what all occurred. I'm still gathering facts, but what you've seen in the media - particularly the TIMELINE - is nothing like what these men witnessed.
                              Sure it is. It's all a great conspiracy.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

A lot of them just might do that. That is the danger Trump poses to the nation. It's a cult. At this point there are a lot of people that will act for Trump in a way they would not act for anyone else. There are a lot of people that will do what they believe is wrong for Trump. As we saw last Wednesday, there are even a lot of people that will kill for Trump.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment