Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Arnold is a Buffoon ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Arnold is a washed-up actor, a washed-up politician, and an incredible phony who is trying to recapture the spotlight after ruining his reputation many times over. The fact you attach any sort of moral righteousness to him indicates you haven't been paying much attention to the man's history.
    ox hasn't had eyes for anybody but President Trump these past few years.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

If he thinks a few tossed offices is in any way similar to ""Jewish homes, hospitals and schools were ransacked as attackers demolished buildings with sledgehammers. Rioters destroyed 267 synagogues throughout Germany, Austria and the Sudetenland. Over 7,000 Jewish businesses were damaged or destroyed, and 30,000 Jewish men were arrested and incarcerated in concentration camps. Early reports estimated that 91 Jews had been murdered", then he is a bigger anti-Semitic idiot than I suspected.
      Big picture my friend, big picture. It is not merely a few tossed offices (nice minimization though :+) it is an attack on the seat of government, an attack on the Republic, on a way of life, on the country; it is the taking of life, the beating of opponents (real or imagined) and the apparent desire to take hostages and murder them (by their own words). Arnold is noting a similarity and is rightly concerned, as should all Americans. He saw, through his parents and neighbors how it ended and he fears he sees a beginning here. Perfectly valid to say that.

Of course it is different in magnitude or degree - however he believes it is similar in kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Even his accent is phony. He's admitted that he can speak unaccented English but considers the accent his "trademark" and says it's what his fans want to hear, so he turns it on for the cameras.
        I wouldn't say his accent is phony. In his article he said he can speak unaccented "if he needs to".

Christian Bale (played Batman and other numerous American Accented roles) has this as his actual speaking voice.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9202486.html

Just because he CAN speak without an accent doesn't mean that his accent is phony.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Interesting that you think Arnold is slime for his sexual transgressions and slurs against homosexuals, while your side thinks comparable behavior by Trump is A-OK.
          Who says?

Comment

Even his accent is phony. He's admitted that he can speak unaccented English but considers the accent his "trademark" and says it's what his fans want to hear, so he turns it on for the cameras.
            More phoniness. Is there no end to it with this guy?

Comment

That's the take away, his accent?

Comment

Anybody who advocates making, mending and peace is ok by me.
                I appreciated Arnold's message. :)

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Big picture my friend, big picture. It is not merely a few tossed offices (nice minimization though :+) it is an attack on the seat of government, an attack on the Republic, on a way of life, on the country;
                  No it wasn't, but nice histrionics.

it is the taking of life, the beating of opponents (real or imagined) and the apparent desire to take hostages and murder them (by their own words).
                  A few unhinged idiots exist in every crowd. Overall, this was mostly peaceful.

Arnold is noting a similarity and is rightly concerned, as should all Americans.
                  There is no similarity, especially to Kristallnacht. Arnold was just jumping on the OMB bandwagon. Because that's the "cool" thing to do today.

He saw, through his parents and neighbors how it ended and he fears he sees a beginning here. Perfectly valid to say that.
                  His initial premise was absolutely anti-Semitic nonsense.

Of course it is different in magnitude or degree - however he believes it is similar in kind.
                  Like a crumb of bread compared to a lake... different categories of things and WAY different scopes.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

That's the take away, his accent?
                    It's one part of the bigger picture. Not only is his attempt to compare the Capital Hill riot to a much more serious historical event stupid, but he can't even drop his fake accent to deliver his message. It shows a lack of sincerity.

Comment

It's one part of the bigger picture. Not only is his attempt to compare the Capital Hill riot to a much more serious historical event stupid, but he can't even drop his fake accent to deliver his message. It shows a lack of sincerity.
                      Again. If you want to call it a fake accent, you need to show that he actually speaks without one, but only puts it on "for the cameras" so to speak.

The fact that he CAN speak without an accent is not the same thing. Actors can learn to speak with any number of accents, they still have a "natural" one. As I said, Christian Bale's natural accent is best described as "cockney". His movies show he CAN talk with an american accent. This doesn't mean that if he talks with a cockney accent it's fake.

(By the way there's no such thing as without an accent" when it comes to English)

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Again. If you want to call it a fake accent, you need to show that he actually speaks without one, but only puts it on "for the cameras" so to speak.

The fact that he CAN speak without an accent is not the same thing. Actors can learn to speak with any number of accents, they still have a "natural" one. As I said, Christian Bale's natural accent is best described as "cockney". His movies show he CAN talk with an american accent. This doesn't mean that if he talks with a cockney accent it's fake.

(By the way there's no such thing as without an accent" when it comes to English)
                        Yerah a "fake accent" would be like Alec Baldwin's wife who has been faking a Spanish accent when she is from Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yerah a "fake accent" would be like Alec Baldwin's wife who has been faking a Spanish accent when she is from Boston.
                          I found a video of arnold's natural speech. https://www.fiveaa.com.au/video/arno...cent-for-fans/ It's definitely NOT without an accent, but it is much more naturally flowing, which is what you'd expect from someone speaking the accent for decades.

When I listen to that compare that to his 2 minute speech, it comes across less as him putting on an accent, and more that he is trying to do that "slow deliberate public speaking" pace, and his accent comes across more strongly because it's no longer "natural". Nobody really talks at that pace.

Comment

Christian Bale's natural accent is best described as "cockney". His movies show he CAN talk with an american accent. This doesn't mean that if he talks with a cockney accent it's fake.
                            The difference is that Bale doesn't maintain his character accent outside of performing in a film. In "Ahnold's" case, he chooses to stay in character all the time because he considers it his trademark even though he is perfectly comfortable speaking without his accent. I've read that when he visits other countries, he actually drops the Austrian accent because non-native English speakers find him easier to understand.

Comment

The difference is that Bale doesn't maintain his character accent outside of performing in a film. In "Ahnold's" case, he chooses to stay in character all the time because he considers it his trademark even though he is perfectly comfortable speaking without his accent. I've read that when he visits other countries, he actually drops the Austrian accent because non-native English speakers find him easier to understand.
                              Here is a video of his natural speech: https://www.fiveaa.com.au/video/arno...cent-for-fans/

Comment

Here is a video of his natural speech: https://www.fiveaa.com.au/video/arno...cent-for-fans/
                                Sounds the same to me.

Comment