Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AOC: GOP who dismiss consequences for riots 'opening the door for it to happen again'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Actually, the comment is that if think we need to crack down hard and fast on a riot or else you encourage it to happen again, then you should have been calling for the same over the summer, instead of perhaps encouraging people to hide their identities at "peaceful protests".
    Excuse me. Where did I write that I was "encouraging people to hide their identities at "peaceful protests". Do you think I am AOC?

Not really. It was political violence. The same type of political violence you said we needed to simply accept was part of our DNA.
    Well violence is certainly a regular feature of the USA. However, if you take that view i.e. that it is "part of our DNA" then cease complaining about left wing violence.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Excuse me. Where did I write that I was "encouraging people to hide their identities at "peaceful protests". Do you think I am AOC?
      It seems you need another English Lesson, ironic from someone who claims to be trained in it.
      In English grammar and in particular in casual English, generic, impersonal, or indefinite you is the use of the pronoun you to refer to an unspecified person, as opposed to its standard use as the second-person pronoun. Generic you can often be used in the place of one, the third-person singular impersonal pronoun, in colloquial speech.

Well violence is certainly a regular feature of the USA. However, if you take that view i.e. that it is "part of our DNA" then cease complaining about left wing violence.
      Actually, YOU (direct you) were the one who claimed it was part of our DNA, you were the one who apparently said we just need to "accept" it.

Comment

It seems you need another English Lesson, ironic from someone who claims to be trained in it.
        Read your sentence again carefully and look at your confused grammar.

"Actually, the comment is that if think we need to crack down hard and fast on a riot or else you encourage it to happen again, then you should have been calling for the same over the summer, instead of perhaps encouraging people to hide their identities at "peaceful protests".

Who is "you" in that sentence?

Actually, YOU (direct you) were the one who claimed it was part of our DNA, you were the one who apparently said we just need to "accept" it.
        I made the observation given the USA's history of violence. However, if you consider that I was correct in that observation you need to cease posting your indignant comments about the wicked lefties and their violence.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

<pedantic games of a True Gramma Nazi snipped>

I made the observation given the USA's history of violence. However, if you consider that I was correct in that observation you need to cease posting your indignant comments about the wicked lefties and their violence.
          I will not keep reminding democrats and liberals about how they normalized political violence over the last 4 years, and are suddenly pretending that political violence is beyond the pale.

Including this nugget from you:
          Maybe Americans should realise that their nation was established by rebellion against the legal government and its representatives and that a great deal of violence was involved, and recognise this as part of their national DNA.

Comment

I will not keep reminding democrats and liberals about how they normalized political violence over the last 4 years, and are suddenly pretending that political violence is beyond the pale.
            Did they [i.e. the left] normalize political violence? I think we have recently had an exchange on the USA's politically violent past.

However, I note that you cannot spot your grammatical errors. Once again, I offer my advice, read your work through carefully before you submit it.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Actually, she is not an airhead. In high school she was a semi-finalist in the very prestigious national Intel science competition which requires students to complete a science project and explain and defend their results to a panel of scientists. Not a competition for airheads.
              And not a nitwit or an insurrectionist who attacked the Capital and threatened our representatives.

Comment

Did they [i.e. the left] normalize political violence? I think we have recently had an exchange on the USA's politically violent past.

<pedantic games of a True Gramma Nazi snipped>
                We did. You tried to claim that a 100 year old incident of violence somehow had a relationship to the current normalization, ignoring how tactics and ideals wax and wane. It was a very dumb argument on your part.

Comment

We did. You tried to claim that a 100 year old incident of violence somehow had a relationship to the current normalization, ignoring how tactics and ideals wax and wane. It was a very dumb argument on your part.
                  I pointed that the USA has a long history of RW violence and some communities involved in such violence did normalise it to a quite appalling level.

However, if "tactics and ideas wax and wane" why are you so concerned about the present-day Left?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I pointed that the USA has a long history of RW violence and some communities involved in such violence did normalise it to a quite appalling level.

However, if "tactics and ideas wax and wane" why are you so concerned about the present-day Left?
                    Well, if we look at a particular wax and wane, you need to ask WHY? In this case, it's on the rise AGAIN because it was tolerated.

Let me ask you a question.
                    Are you trying to say that they didn't, or that their behavior was ok because it happened in the past?

Comment

Well, if we look at a particular wax and wane, you need to ask WHY?
                      Why indeed.

In this case, it's on the rise AGAIN because it was tolerated.
                      By whom?

Let me ask you a question.
                      Are you trying to say that they didn't, or that their behavior was ok because it happened in the past?
                      I do not understand your question. Can you rewrite it more coherently? Who are "they" and what didn't they do?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why indeed.

By whom?

I do not understand your question. Can you rewrite it more coherently? Who are "they" and what didn't they do?
                        No. As I stated previously, I will not be re-stating questions on you magical inability to read until you give a good faith effort at interpretation. You claim to be an english major, so use your reading comprehension skills first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                          Hilarious performative outrage by AOC.

This was her statement days into the George Floyd violence:

“If you are calling for an end to this unrest, and if you are a calling for an end to all of this, but you are not calling for the end of the conditions that created the unrest, you are a hypocrite,” she said in a video on Instagram Saturday morning, posted above. “So if you’re out here calling for the end of unrest, then you better be calling for health care as a human right, you better be calling for accountability in our policing, you better be supporting community review boards, you better be supporting the end of housing discrimination…Because if you don’t call for those things and you’re asking for the end of unrest, all you’re asking for is the continuation of quiet oppression.”
                          Someone should tweet that back to her ignorant tweet above. Nothing like throwing their own words back in their face.

Comment

I would suggest, from my reading [and viewing] that she is not alone in that opinion.

Of course not. It's "cool" to jump on the bandwagon...
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No. As I stated previously, I will not be re-stating questions on you magical inability to read until you give a good faith effort at interpretation. You claim to be an english major, so use your reading comprehension skills first.
                              Then I regret I cannot answer you.

However, I note that yet again you are attributing things to me I have never written. Where have I ever claimed "to be an english major"?

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Then I regret I cannot answer you.

However, I note that yet again you are attributing things to me I have never written. Where have I ever claimed "to be an english major"?
                                To use one of your phrases: "Let's not quibble over details". You have claimed some level of English training you act as if it's important. But, given your consistent failures at reading comprehension I refuse to play the "clarify game" until you actually put forth good faith effort at reading comprehension.

Comment