Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Recent study finds that "asymptomatic spread" of the China flu is a myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent study finds that "asymptomatic spread" of the China flu is a myth

Asymptomatic spread was the answer given to the great question: I’m not sick so why should I have to be locked down? Why are we quarantining the healthy? And what possibly could it mean, in any case, to be sick without symptoms? Why are half the PCR-positive tests assigned to people who otherwise seem to be perfectly fine?

All these valid questions came to be answered by this one phrase: asymptomatic spread. You might not feel sick. You might not ever have symptoms from SARS-CoV-2. Still, you could be an even worse super spreader without knowing it, infecting people all around you who will carry it to people who will die from the disease. This was also the moment when, subtly and imperceptibly, we were being asked to think of our fellow citizens not as human beings with dignity and rights but pathogen-carrying disease vectors. We had to be masked, all of us, because we are secretly filthy and unclean: we cannot be allowed to breath near others, so even with a mask we must stay 6 feet away.

(As I type these words, I feel sure that if anyone reads them in ten years, the reader will assume I’m writing fiction or engaged in wild hyperbole. To the future reader: this is all true.)

[...]

In this case, the carrier of rationality is a gigantic study conducted in Wuhan, China, of 10 million people. The article appears in Nature Communications, published November 20, 2020.

The conclusion is not that asymptomatic spread is rare or that the science is uncertain. The study revealed something that hardly ever happens in these kinds of studies. There was not one documented case. Forget rare. Forget even Fauci’s previous suggestion that asymptomatic transmission exists but not does drive the spread. Replace all that with: never. At least not in this study for 10,000,000.

"Stringent COVID-19 control measures were imposed in Wuhan between January 23 and April 8, 2020. Estimates of the prevalence of infection following the release of restrictions could inform post-lockdown pandemic management. Here, we describe a city-wide SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening programme between May 14 and June 1, 2020 in Wuhan. All city residents aged six years or older were eligible and 9,899,828 (92.9%) participated. No new symptomatic cases and 300 asymptomatic cases (detection rate 0.303/10,000, 95% CI 0.270–0.339/10,000) were identified. There were no positive tests amongst 1,174 close contacts of asymptomatic cases. 107 of 34,424 previously recovered COVID-19 patients tested positive again (re-positive rate 0.31%, 95% CI 0.423–0.574%). The prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Wuhan was therefore very low five to eight weeks after the end of lockdown."

One might suppose that this would be huge news. It would allow us to open up everything immediately. With the whole basis for post-curve-flattening lockdowns crumbled, we could go back to living a normal life. The fear could evaporate. We could take comfort in our normal intuition that healthy people can get out and about with no risk to others. We could take off our masks. We could go to movies and sports events.

From what I can tell, there was only one news story that was posted about this. It was on Russia Today. I’ve not been able to find another one. People not following the right accounts on Twitter wouldn’t even know about it at all.

We keep hearing about how we should follow the science. The claim is tired by now. We know what’s really happening. The lockdown lobby ignores whatever contradicts their narrative, preferring unverified anecdotes over an actual scientific study of 10 million residents in what was the world’s first major hotspot for the disease we are trying to manage. You would expect this study to be massive international news. So far as I can tell, it is being ignored.

https://www.aier.org/article/asympto...ead-revisited/
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-08-2021, 12:04 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

You are taking the word of the Chinese scientists in Wuhan who have lied about this virus from the get go?

These are the same people who claimed it wasn't contagious and then suddenly had zero new cases to report and pretended it had just went away on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You are taking the word of the Chinese scientists in Wuhan who have lied about this virus from the get go?

These are the same people who claimed it wasn't contagious and then suddenly had zero new cases to report and pretended it had just went away on its own.
      Come on, man, you can do better than that.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I am serious. Why would you believe a "study" by Wuhan scientists who claim there was no asymptomatic spread? They are known liars.

Comment

I can see them trying to cover up data (i.e. fatality rates, infection spread, etc.) in their country because it makes them look bad, but this study is more general, so I don't see how fudging data like this makes them look good. It would be real easy for contrary data to refute this, so it would be pointless for them to fake it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I was expecting relentless attacks from the leftist covid cult here. That threw me for a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I can see them trying to cover up data (i.e. fatality rates, infection spread, etc.) in their country because it makes them look bad, but this study is more general, so I don't see how fudging data like this makes them look good. It would be real easy for contrary data to refute this, so it would be pointless for them to fake it.
              The Chinese have already proven themselves to be either liars or completely incompetent. I see no reason to accept anything they say. How about you find me a US Study that shows asymptomatic carriers can't infect others? And you also need to realize that there is a difference between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. Pre-symptomatic might not be infectious yet because the viral load is still in the beginning stage, asymptomatic never have symptoms but do have the actual virus and are actively shedding it.

Evidence contrary to the Chinese study:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01971220301740

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=010721
              Last edited by Sparko; 01-08-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

The Chinese have already proven themselves to be either liars or completely incompetent. I see no reason to accept anything they say. How about you find me a US Study that shows asymptomatic carriers can't infect others? And you also need to realize that there is a difference between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. Pre-symptomatic might not be infectious yet because the viral load is still in the beginning stage, asymptomatic never have symptoms but do have the actual virus and are actively shedding it.
                Again, what would be the motive for them to fudge the data? Give me a reasonable motive. As far as competence, obviously the NIH and Fauci's group thought they were confident enough to fund controversial research there.

Comment

I was expecting relentless attacks from the leftist covid cult here. That threw me for a loop.
                  I was expecting MM to not be someone who merely accepts any data that supports his preconceptions even when it comes from a source that he has already acknowledged as a country of liars.

Comment

It's just a good thing Trump didn't say it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Again, what would be the motive for them to fudge the data? Give me a reasonable motive. As far as competence, obviously the NIH and Fauci's group thought they were confident enough to fund controversial research there.
                      I don't know. Why did they lie in the first place? Why did they claim that they had zero new cases? They are lying commies. Perhaps they want the virus to keep spreading as much as possible by making people not wear masks? It is in their own interest for the rest of the world's economy to be in the toilet as long as possible.

Comment

I was expecting MM to not be someone who merely accepts any data that supports his preconceptions even when it comes from a source that he has already acknowledged as a country of liars.
                        They're a country of liars, sure, but I'm trying to find a motive why they lie about that data. Typically liars like China lie to their advantage.

Comment

January 7, 2021
                          SARS-CoV-2 Transmission From People Without COVID-19 Symptoms

Michael A. Johansson, PhD1,2; Talia M. Quandelacy, PhD, MPH1; Sarah Kada, PhD1; et al Pragati Venkata Prasad, MPH1; Molly Steele, PhD, MPH1; John T. Brooks, MD1; Rachel B. Slayton, PhD, MPH1,2; Matthew Biggerstaff, ScD, MPH1,2; Jay C. Butler, MD2
                          Author Affiliations Article Information
                          JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4(1):e2035057. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.35057

Key PointsQuestion What proportion of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) spread is associated with transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) from persons with no symptoms?
                          Findings In this decision analytical model assessing multiple scenarios for the infectious period and the proportion of transmission from individuals who never have COVID-19 symptoms, transmission from asymptomatic individuals was estimated to account for more than half of all transmission.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=010721

also see:
                          https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851

Comment

I don't know. Why did they lie in the first place? Why did they claim that they had zero new cases? They are lying commies. Perhaps they want the virus to keep spreading as much as possible by making people not wear masks? It is in their own interest for the rest of the world's economy to be in the toilet as long as possible.
                            Why they initially lied about their fatality and infection rate is obvious. They can control these lies because they control who has access to information about what occurs within their country. Fudging low fatality and infection rates in their country makes them look good because it makes them look competent and they can control this information. There would be no point for them to lie about this because there is no advantage for them and they can't control studies like this to the contrary outside their country.

Comment

Why they initially lied about their fatality and infection rate is obvious. They can control these lies because they control who has access to information about what occurs within their country. Fudging low fatality and infection rates in their country makes them look good because it makes them look competent and they can control this information. There would be no point for them to lie about this because there is no advantage for them and they can't control studies like this to the contrary outside their country.
                              Contradicting them doesn't seem to bother them in the least. Remember when they blamed the US Army for COVID? They have no shame. And I just posted two such studies above contradicting their "study"

Comment