Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Postal Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Postal Service

Now that the election is over, everyone seems to have taken their eyes off the Post Office. Yesterday, I got a couple first class letters that had been in the mail for about 3 weeks. I heard about Christmas card that I mailed on 12/14 and another on 12/18 only got delivered this week. I've noticed I'm getting fewer catalogs and a weekly subscription hasn't shown in about 10 days and the last issue I got was dated 12/13 or so. Yesterday at work, a notice was posted that the USPS is now saying because of COVID, first class mail can take up to 3 weeks to be delivered. I'll make a bet this is a regional concern and depending on where you're mailing from or to, you may or may not be affected. So far, I'm not noticing problems if I mail inside my state.

Just curious, is anyone else noticing a slowing of mail service?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Yep. Just got a Christmas Card from Mossrose this week that she sent weeks ago.

I sent a package to my brother from Amazon and they couldn't even deliver it to the right address (and it took two weeks)

When I tried to track the package I couldn't even get through to a person, it was an endless voice menu system loop.

Comment

Yup. At this point it's worse than Canada's PO, which used to be worse than the USPS.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Yup. At this point it's worse than Canada's PO, which used to be worse than the USPS.
        Even before COVID my local mailperson would regularly deliver my neighbor's mail to my box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Even before COVID my local mailperson would regularly deliver my neighbor's mail to my box.
          We get that occasionally but not too often. I remember once probably 10 years ago I had ordered some wool from a store in the States and our guy delivered it to the house 2 doors down. When I had notification that it had been delivered I called the PO and asked about it. Our carrier went out and found it. He'd opened the screen door of the house and stuck it between the doors and the people in the house hadn't found it yet. He retrieved it and delivered it with profuse apologies that same day.

If I get a piece of mail that belongs to someone else, I clothespin it to our mailbox and the carrier picks it up the next time they come. I also call the PO and tell them that there has been a mistake. We have had people we don't know come to our house to deliver mail that was misdirected to their place, I assume. But it really doesn't happen very often.

We still have mail delivered to our door, so we get to know our carriers and their timing. So if we get mail at a different time or more misdirected mail than usual it's often a temp carrier covering for the regular who may be sick or on vacation.

I was told by our PO earlier this year that the USPS was really in bad shape because of covid. But I thought that they might have got their act together by December. Apparently not.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Since the USPS is such a vital service, maybe they need to be moved up in priority for the vaccine?
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              Since the USPS is such a vital service, maybe they need to be moved up in priority for the vaccine?
              They already are. https://www.govexec.com/workforce/20...accine/171013/

Comment

Christmas cards from my parents sent from rural Virginia the week before Christmas just arrived yesterday. I recently had another parcel mailed from a company in Arizona that arrived within three days of the original estimate.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Hey my junk mail arrives on time!

Comment

I'm still receiving stuff I'd ordered for Christmas, and Amazon decided that one book was "undeliverable."
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

My mom mailed me a check that took 15 days to arrive.

December is always a nightmare at the post office to begin with because of Christmas. Even before covid, mail carriers were working 15-16 hour days. From what I personally heard from friends at the post office, they are in fact dealing with people getting covid/being quarantined when they were already short staffed to begin with. I was hopeful that things would look up with Christmas over but it doesn't look that way. Usually my mailman comes in the morning; I saw the mail truck outside at 6:15 last night.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        My mom mailed me a check that took 15 days to arrive.

December is always a nightmare at the post office to begin with because of Christmas. Even before covid, mail carriers were working 15-16 hour days. From what I personally heard from friends at the post office, they are in fact dealing with people getting covid/being quarantined when they were already short staffed to begin with. I was hopeful that things would look up with Christmas over but it doesn't look that way. Usually my mailman comes in the morning; I saw the mail truck outside at 6:15 last night.
                        Yeah, around here, that usually happens when somebody is working more than one route.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My daughter's mother-in-law sent Xmas cards to her and to me, and they have yet to arrive.

My worst experience with the PO was a long time ago. Before Turbotax. I was mailing in my tax returns, so I took them to the PO to have someone there weigh and stamp them. Luckily I put my return address on the envelope as I got the federal one back with insufficient postage!!

As for the current delays, while some of this is likely due to covid, don't forget that the current Postmaster General had multiple sorting machines decommissioned.

Comment