Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

BLM's List of Demands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM's List of Demands

I heard a commentator on the radio say that these "demands" were purposely so over the top that they could not be met, so BLM can guaranty their perpetuity.

Here's the "party platform"

As if "reparations" is not weird enough, the extent to which they want to be "repaired" is a bit..... (bolding mine)

1. Reparations for the systemic denial of access to high quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all Black people (including undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people) to lifetime education including: free access and open admissions to public community colleges and universities, technical education (technology, trade and agricultural), educational support programs, retroactive forgiveness of student loans, and support for lifetime learning programs.
    2. Reparations for the continued divestment from, discrimination toward and exploitation of our communities in the form of a guaranteed minimum livable income for all Black people, with clearly articulated corporate regulations.
    3. Reparations for the wealth extracted from our communities through environmental racism, slavery, food apartheid, housing discrimination and racialized capitalism in the form of corporate and government reparations focused on healing ongoing physical and mental trauma, and ensuring our access and control of food sources, housing and land.
    4. Reparations for the cultural and educational exploitation, erasure, and extraction of our communities in the form of mandated public school curriculums that critically examine the political, economic, and social impacts of colonialism and slavery, and funding to support, build, preserve, and restore cultural assets and sacred sites to ensure the recognition and honoring of our collective struggles and triumphs.
    5. Legislation at the federal and state level that requires the United States to acknowledge the lasting impacts of slavery, establish and execute a plan to address those impacts. This includes the immediate passage of H.R.40, the “Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act” or subsequent versions which call for reparations remedies.

And that's just reparations! Take a look at the other demands.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I believe all former slaver holders should pay reparations to former slaves.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I believe all former slaver holders should pay reparations to former slaves.
        EGGcellent idea!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Intermixed in the rhetoric, and the plain stupidity, are a few good suggestions... a VERY few, but there are some.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Intermixed in the rhetoric, and the plain stupidity, are a few good suggestions... a VERY few, but there are some.
              Yeah, but I was a little surprised by them adding in "undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people" to the mix "for good measure". This is 'reparations for slavery', but let's include illegals and ex-cons!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yeah, but I was a little surprised by them adding in "undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people" to the mix "for good measure". This is 'reparations for slavery', but let's include illegals and ex-cons!
                They want blacks currently in prison to be able to vote. But only blacks.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This is 'reparations for slavery', but let's include illegals and ex-cons!
                  Well if they keep doing the rioting, vandalism etc etc lots of them will be in jail.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

So does that mean the white descendants of the Union soldiers can demand reparations for the loss of their ancestor's lives or being crippled for fighting to free the black people from slavery?

Comment

The site says "Movement for Black Lives"

Not BLM. I think its a different organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Possibly so -- the "original creators" of the movement complain that others stole the "black queer's" movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well, the PhillyTribune has an article on the BLM, which I referenced in another thread, and they point to the "group's platform" at the same cite I used.

Check out the group’s platform at https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/

Will the REAL BLM, please put your hands up?

ETA: Then there's BlackLivesMatter.com, and their "guiding principles" - http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

blm principles.gif
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-26-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Well, the PhillyTribune has an article on the BLM, which I referenced in another thread, and they point to the "group's platform" at the same cite I used.

Check out the group’s platform at https://policy.m4bl.org/platform/

Will the REAL BLM, please put your hands up?

ETA: Then there's BlackLivesMatter.com, and their "guiding principles" - http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18144[/ATTACH]
                            I think the newspaper got it wrong.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/ doesn't look like the other site, and neither site mentions the other group.

Comment

Sad, What America Really needs to do is help the Native American Reservations and fund Alcohol Rehabilitation. Also the Native American universities are in really poor shape even though they are free. They Badly need updating, removal of asbestos, Reservation Land also needs to be expanded and water needs to be cleaned up. When you look at how poor of a shape the Native lands are, It reminds me of the segregated ghettos in the 50's and early 60's. BLM has no right to make these kinds of demands.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment