Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the Alt-Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Alt-Right?

No thread on this yet? OK, I guess I get to start it.

There have been a number of articles in various publications exploring the phenomenon of the "alt-right," and Clinton apparently just gave a big speech about it. In other words, a lot of ink has already been spilled. I'd like to suggest that, if you have found an article which you think is good at explaining some aspect of the alt-right, feel free to share it here.

Here's my link-- I read it originally a couple months ago, and it was updated yesterday in the context of the Clinton speech.
    http://www.vox.com/2016/4/18/1143409...ight-explained

Ross Douthat also wrote something excellent a while back, but I can't find it now

As far as I'm concerned, the alt-right is a confluence of racists, sexists, authoritarians, and trolls. Probably their most compelling argumentative angle is the preservation of Western Civilization; however, their understanding of it seizes on the authoritarian thread of western history and reduces religion to its social utility.

I said it involves trolls-- exactly to what extent this is true, I don't know (poe's law and all), but they know they can get a reaction out of the Left by saying certain things or violating certain taboos, and the anonymity of the Internet lets them get away with it without real consequence, so that's what they do.

It's a bit odd that the alt-right should be ascendant in the rest of the Internet when the people who embodied it on TWeb-- Epo and DE-- aren't around anymore.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

I never heard about it til Hillary pounced on it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Conservative commentator Erick Erickson picked up on this movement over a year ago here: http://www.redstate.com/erick/2015/0...al-christians/
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

OK, so Hillary takes the fact that some of the same things the "alt-right" believe are some of the same things conservatives in general, and Trump in particular, believe.

I think it's kind of desperate. I mean, the Grand Wizard of the KKK might like the same kind of ice cream I like. Yeah, that's kinda trivializing it, but to paint Trump as ultra-racist because the KKK have some of the same beliefs, and Trump represent those beliefs better than Hillary, is intellectually dishonest to say "That's Trump, too!"

It's pandering at best. The Grand Wizard of the KKK endorsing Trump for their own purposes is not the same as Trump endorsing the KKK.

(And, no, I am not a Trump supporter)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          As far as I'm concerned, the alt-right is a confluence of racists, sexists, authoritarians, and trolls.
          ?

You sure you're not talking about Democrats??

Okay, shooting fish in barrel aside!

What is the Alt-Right?
          Nationalism, US style, plus those youngsters and their memes!! And green frogs for some reason.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Sounds like a convenient boogeyman to pillory.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              ?

You sure you're not talking about Democrats??

Okay, shooting fish in barrel aside!

Nationalism, US style, plus those youngsters and their memes!! And green frogs for some reason.
              You are amusing, Demi. Will Putin allow you to remain after the US elections are over, or are you on your own dime then?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                EGGzackly! Like Starlight referring to American Family Council as a "hate group".

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Trump is racist like KKK!

(effective at first, now much less)

Trump is Nazi!!

(ditto)

Trump has something to do with this evil racist alt-right!!!

(????)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    are you on your own dime then?
                    Well maybe I might become shill for Hill! Or for commie Bernie's Revolution!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      As far as I'm concerned, the alt-right is a confluence of racists, sexists, authoritarians, and trolls.
                      OK, so, seriously, could this be like the "extreme end" of BLM? A movement gets started, supposedly for legitimate reasons, and is immediately visible on TV as causing mayhem, destruction, riots, hate, and extreme racist rhetoric like "all you white people get to the back, you, white journalist, you need to get in the back". Should a movement be defined by the worst of those that align with it for their own purposes?

I'm asking this because, in my own mind, it's hard to separate BLM - the supposed legitimate movement - with a bunch of violent anarchist racists. (purposely overstated a bit for effect)

But, just thinking out loud, think of the furor somebody would cause by referring to BLM as the "alt-left".

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        Well maybe I might become shill for Hill! Or for commie Bernie's Revolution!!
                        Hey, a guy's gotta make a living!

Comment

I'm not sure if anybody read the link I posted earlier but we did discuss this sort of movement awhile ago on TWeb in the context of demi-conservative's original username. It may have been in the mod-only section.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I'm not sure if anybody read the link I posted earlier but we did discuss this sort of movement awhile ago on TWeb in the context of demi-conservative's original username. It may have been in the mod-only section.
                            I liked that name!! Alt-right do come up with some good stuff!!!

But liking for Pepes is still big mystery
                            Last edited by demi-conservative; 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, so, seriously, could this be like the "extreme end" of BLM? A movement gets started, supposedly for legitimate reasons, and is immediately visible on TV as causing mayhem, destruction, riots, hate, and extreme racist rhetoric like "all you white people get to the back, you, white journalist, you need to get in the back".
                              Well maybe!! But so far we see about zero violence by alt-right (otherwise liberal media would be all over 'violence by white racists')!

Comment