Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amen and Awoman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amen and Awoman...

What an idiot...

'It's got nothing to do with gender': Democrat Emanuel Cleaver is slammed for ending his 'woke' Congress prayer by saying 'Amen and a woman'

Democrat Representative Emanuel Cleaver has provoked fury by closing a congressional prayer with the words 'amen and a woman'.

The Missouri pastor was asked to deliver the prayer to open the 117th Congress on Sunday, and decided to make a gender neutral address.

But after the video was posted online, many pointed out to Cleaver that amen is Latin for 'so be it' and has no reference to gender.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-neutral.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    What an idiot...

'It's got nothing to do with gender': Democrat Emanuel Cleaver is slammed for ending his 'woke' Congress prayer by saying 'Amen and a woman'

Democrat Representative Emanuel Cleaver has provoked fury by closing a congressional prayer with the words 'amen and a woman'.

The Missouri pastor was asked to deliver the prayer to open the 117th Congress on Sunday, and decided to make a gender neutral address.

But after the video was posted online, many pointed out to Cleaver that amen is Latin for 'so be it' and has no reference to gender.

I laughed at that. It reminded me of the texas city council guy who got upset when someone described something as a "fiscal black hole", and the guy thought it was a racial slur.

Comment

Latin? That's HEBREW!

Just because Latinos say it and the end of a prayer doesn't make it Latin.
      When I Survey....

Comment

idiotkind.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I laughed at that. It reminded me of the texas city council guy who got upset when someone described something as a "fiscal black hole", and the guy thought it was a racial slur.
          A number of folks have gotten in trouble over the use of the word "niggardly" which means stingy and has no racial connotation. An aide to a Washington D.C. mayor was forced to resign after using it wrt the budget but a public uproar, including from the NAACP, led to his being offered his job back. But that hasn't stopped several others since that incident from getting in trouble.

In any case, it appears that Cleaver, in spite of being a minister, thinks the term is "a men" for him to make his idiotic addition, or at the very least is too ignorant to understand that it has nothing to do with sex, isn't even English, but means "so be it" in Hebrew.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            A number of folks have gotten in trouble over the use of the word "niggardly" which means stingy and has no racial connotation. An aide to a Washington D.C. mayor was forced to resign after using it wrt the budget but a public uproar, including from the NAACP, led to his being offered his job back. But that hasn't stopped several others since that incident from getting in trouble.

In any case, it appears that Cleaver, in spite of being a minister, thinks the term is "a men" for him to make his idiotic addition, or at the very least is too ignorant to understand that it has nothing to do with sex, isn't even English, but means "so be it" in Hebrew.
            I'd give a pass to someone upset over "Niggardly", it's an obscure word, it is a descriptor, and it is very close to the slur. As such, if you were unfamiliar with it (which given it's obscurity isn't surprising) it wouldn't be a stretch to apply common conversational/reading comprehension to assume that it's a slur word/phrase. Similar to how some people say "she jewed me down on the price" is.

Once the definition is known, I would say it gets a little more complex. Because since that hubbub hit, some people have started using it specifically because of it's similar sounding nature...sort of a way to "curse without cursing" so to speak, and that can be problematic, but probably requires mind-reading to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'd give a pass to someone upset over "Niggardly", it's an obscure word, it is a descriptor, and it is very close to the slur. As such, if you were unfamiliar with it (which given it's obscurity isn't surprising) it wouldn't be a stretch to apply common conversational/reading comprehension to assume that it's a slur word/phrase. Similar to how some people say "she jewed me down on the price" is.

Once the definition is known, I would say it gets a little more complex. Because since that hubbub hit, some people have started using it specifically because of it's similar sounding nature...sort of a way to "curse without cursing" so to speak, and that can be problematic, but probably requires mind-reading to know for sure.
              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

That made me snigger.

Which happens to be a much more common synonym for snicker now that any other time.

9929c4b3-f8e4-48e7-b154-d9f2ba5cb277.jpg

But when talking about budgets and finances one would think that those involved in making such decisions would be a bit more knowledgeable than the average person.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But after the video was posted online, many pointed out to Cleaver that amen is Latin for 'so be it' and has no reference to gender.[/I]
                Amen is Latin...

The etymologist takes umbrage in regards to this assertion. No respect for it's Semitic origin.

Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

What an idiot...

Now just a mowoment, this could be an interesting language experiwoment. We can go to a restaurant and take a look at the womenu and then order the rawomen noodle dish.

I think it may be time to look into this person's womental health and see what we can do for him.

More seriously, I'm not even a Christian and this made me cringe hard as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post

Amen is Latin...

The etymologist takes umbrage in regards to this assertion. No respect for it's Semitic origin.

But it is a Hebrew word adopted by Latin

349c4c11-05bc-47f8-8d0a-8aea2972455a.jpg

From Online Etmology:

Old English, from Late Latin amen, from Ecclesiastical Greek amen, from Hebrew amen "truth," used adverbially as an expression of agreement (as in Deuteronomy xxvii.26, I Kings i.36), from Semitic root a-m-n "to be trustworthy, confirm, support."

I would think that if you can say it is Latin (who borrowed from the Greek, who got it from the Hebrew) then you can then say that it is English (who got it from Old English, who borrowed it from Latin). Or that enchilada is an English word even though it comes from Latin American Spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Now just a mowoment, this could be an interesting language experiwoment. We can go to a restaurant and take a look at the womenu and then order the rawomen noodle dish.

I think it may be time to look into this person's womental health and see what we can do for him.

It should be noted that it is believed that rawomen noodles were likely introduced to Japan by Chinese refugees seeking to escape Womanchurian rule

Comment

In English we pronounce it like long A - men. In Hebrew it's pronounced something like ah-main.

I made a comparison in my Sunday School class one day of a Christian gentile and a Christian Jew praying together. The gentile closed his eyes, bowed his head, folded his hands and closed with "A-men". The Jew opened his eyes, looked up, raised his hands, and closed with "ah-main".

When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It should be noted that it is believed that rawomen noodles were likely introduced to Japan by Chinese refugees seeking to escape Womanchurian rule

It becomes recursive:
                          women
                          Wowomen
                          Wowowomen
                          wowowowomen

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                            In English we pronounce it like long A - men. In Hebrew it's pronounced something like ah-main.

I made a comparison in my Sunday School class one day of a Christian gentile and a Christian Jew praying together. The gentile closed his eyes, bowed his head, folded his hands and closed with "A-men". The Jew opened his eyes, looked up, raised his hands, and closed with "ah-main".
                            Is this the one where you said, Lord, thank you that I am not like either of these men?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I agree. And this is a pastor who one would think would know where Amen comes from. This is just so wrong on so many levels.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment