Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Small Town Abortion Clinic Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Town Abortion Clinic Drama

My cousin lives in a small town in the midwest. The latest headache is that an abortion clinic is trying to open up on unincorporated county property. The conservatives in the area are trying to stop it. The clinic has bought the land, and wants to construct the building and parking lot. Since the clinic will be on county land, the city really can't do much about it.

Then one of the council members had an idea. The city is going to be building a new school, and remodeling an older one. Both of these projects are going to be big projects and all of the contractors want them. The city has declared that any contractor who works on, or even bids for, the clinic contract will not be considered for either school project, or any future contract with the city.

This has alot of contractors seeing red.

What are your thoughts?

As much as I am anti-abortion, I don't see how they can legally establish this obvious discrimination policy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      As much as I am anti-abortion, I don't see how they can legally establish this obvious discrimination policy.
      Yeah, I doubt that's legal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yeah, I doubt that's legal.
        Also wondering if it's a union shop situation, or "right to work" condition.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder if it makes sense for all the local shops to offer bids for the project (some could bid a billion dollars or something) to force the issue. No idea of the legalities involved.

Curious if there is a libertarian argument against this practice. I used to listen to a libertarian podcast a long ways back and based on what I heard there they'd be ok with it but I think they were pretty extreme.
          Last edited by LiconaFan97; 01-04-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
            I wonder if it makes sense for all the local shops to offer bids for the project (some could bid a billion dollars or something) to force the issue. No idea of the legalities involved.

Curious if there is a libertarian argument against this practice. I used to listen to a libertarian podcast a long ways back and based on what I heard there they'd be ok with it but I think they were pretty extreme.
            It's a small town in the midwest. I doubt you are going to see too many businesses take steps to defend an abortion clinic.

Comment

Bump for thoughts.

Comment