Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Cleveland Burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Cleveland Burn?

Department of Justice closes Tamir Rice investigation, will not file charges

The Department of Justice has decided to close the high-profile civil rights investigation into the killing of Tamir Rice, without bringing any charges, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Rice, 12, who was Black, was carrying a pellet gun when he was shot by a White Cleveland Police officer in 2014.

The DOJ is set to announce Tuesday that career prosecutors reviewing the federal investigation into the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice found insufficient evidence to support federal criminal charges against the Cleveland Police officers involved in the incident.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/departmen...gation-charges
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post

The Department of Justice has decided to close the high-profile civil rights investigation into the killing of Tamir Rice, without bringing any charges, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Rice, 12, who was Black, was carrying a pellet gun when he was shot by a White Cleveland Police officer in 2014.

The DOJ is set to announce Tuesday that career prosecutors reviewing the federal investigation into the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice found insufficient evidence to support federal criminal charges against the Cleveland Police officers involved in the incident.

Likely, though I hope not.

It's certainly quite disappointing, though, to see the DOJ didn't have the guts to do anything. This was a particularly egregious case (honestly far moreso than any of the recent ones), and the officer should have faced serious charges.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

As I recall, he was doing more than just carrying it but pointed it at the police in a threatening manner.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

As I recall, he was doing more than just carrying it but pointed it at the police in a threatening manner.
        Not exactly.

Source: Cleveland Boy Tamir Rice Wasn't Reaching for Pellet Gun: Report

A 12-year-old boy shot to death by Cleveland police last year had his hands in his pockets when he was shot and wasn't reaching for the pellet gun he'd been carrying, according to an expert's review of a new video analysis of the shooting.

Tamir Rice did not have enough time to remove his hands from his pockets before being shot, and his hands weren't visible to the officer, according to the analysis released late Friday night by attorneys for Tamir's family.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The accompanying video shows Rice walking around pointing the pellet gun like he was going to shoot it.

It doesn't look like he had it in his hands when the police pulled up, but stuck his hands in his coat pockets. I think it is conceivable that the officer could have believed that he was going for the gun as he emerged from the car and shot him. I would be surprised if they weren't shouting at him to put his hands up -- which he clearly didn't do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Not exactly.

A 12-year-old boy shot to death by Cleveland police last year had his hands in his pockets when he was shot and wasn't reaching for the pellet gun he'd been carrying, according to an expert's review of a new video analysis of the shooting.

Tamir Rice did not have enough time to remove his hands from his pockets before being shot, and his hands weren't visible to the officer, according to the analysis released late Friday night by attorneys for Tamir's family.

Source

The accompanying video shows Rice walking around pointing the pellet gun like he was going to shoot it.

It doesn't look like he had it in his hands when the police pulled up, but stuck his hands in his coat pockets. I think it is conceivable that the officer could have believed that he was going for the gun as he emerged from the car and shot him. I would be surprised if they weren't shouting at him to put his hands up -- which he clearly didn't do.
          This is the pellet gun that Rice was walking around pointing at people next to a similar real hand gun.. Not something anyone would think was just a toy

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is the pellet gun that Rice was walking around pointing at people next to a similar real hand gun.. Not something anyone would think was just a toy
            Particularly when you're looking only at the business end, and part of the weapon is obscured by the hand of the person holding it --- aside from the distance, height of adrenaline, etc...
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Toy guns will get your black kids shot - don’t buy them.

Parents of young black boys should consider dressing them in girls clothes to protect them from white policemen.

Try to ensure that your black neighbourhood is policed by black officers who live in the neighbourhood.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                No - toy guns that LOOK REAL --- not the orange or red plastic ones that are obviously not real guns.

Parents of young black boys should consider dressing them in girls clothes to protect them from white policemen.

Try to ensure that your black neighbourhood is policed by black officers who live in the neighbourhood.
                You're drunk again, aren't you?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

Have you always been this ignorant?

Statistic show that it's whites who are more likely than blacks to be shot by a police officer despite the fact that blacks have disproportionately more encounters with the police than whites. Also, a black police officer is just as likely as a white police officer to shoot at a black suspect. Finally, a black person is more likely to be shot by another black person than by a white police officer. Of course it's only blacks being shot by white cops that get news coverage, so if that's all you bother to read then you will get the false impression that there is an epidemic of white officers gunning down innocent black people.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-30-2020, 11:57 AM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Have you always been this ignorant?
                    I think he just enjoys

Comment

FIFY n/c

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No - toy guns that LOOK REAL --- not the orange or red plastic ones that are obviously not real guns.

You're drunk again, aren't you?
                        I was listening to a really interesting black cop story this morning:

Scott Watson — a Black police officer in his hometown, Flint, Mich. — has worked to become a pillar of the community. And he always believed his identity put him in a unique position to discharge his duties.

After watching the video of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody in May, his job became a source of self-consciousness instead of pride.
                        https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...olfIFU12EYRlPY
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I was listening to a really interesting black cop story this morning:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...olfIFU12EYRlPY
                          Wishing you a better new year, sir.

Comment

Not exactly.

Source

Well, it looks like Rice was drawing the pellet gun from his waistband when he got shot, at least according to enhancements of the video

Source: Tamir Rice protesters take to streets in Cleveland

Prosecutors decided they couldn’t get a conviction after seeing enhanced surveillance footage of the shooting, he said. And he contended that Department of Justice’s U.S. Attorney’s manual indicates a prosecutor must tell a grand jury when substantial evidence refutes the guilt of the target in the investigation.

Video footage showed the 12-year-old black boy was drawing what turned out to be a pellet gun designed to look like a real gun from his waistband, McGinty said.

Source

A tragedy to be sure, but also a justifiable shooting.

Comment

Nope. Wouldn't have even had time to do so even if he had it in his hands (let alone follow any orders from the officers) - the officer was out of the car and already shooting before it even came to a stop.

Comment