Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The City Of Peace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City Of Peace...

The magic of leftist policies....

Portland police seeking community collaboration amid shooting, murder surges

Portland police officials are pleading with the public to help "break the cycle of violence" in the Oregon city, where shootings and murders have skyrocketed, according to authorities and a local report.

At least 850 shootings have been reported in Portland as of Dec. 24, with 59 reported so far this month, Portland Police Bureau (PPB) statistics show. There were 33 shootings reported in December of last year.

As of Christmas Eve, this year’s shootings had surpassed last year’s by more than 116%, with 393 shootings reported in all of 2019, statistics show.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-...-murder-surges
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Nationwide it looks like murder / homicide / accidental gun deaths are up around 24%. Portland sounds really bad but it's been a bad year all around.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      The magic of leftist policies....
      Now who woulda thunk that trying to defund the police would have led to this? Who could have predicted this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Now who woulda thunk that trying to defund the police would have led to this? Who could have predicted this?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not leftists. They still carry the torch of idiocy.

Comment

This is why I think a civil war in this country (if a "war" actually took shape) would be mostly urban vs. elsewhere. Can you imagine a bunch of hillbillies burning and looting the local general store?

Comment

Other factors in play include the stress of a pandemic itself, being quarantined and unable to move about unless absolutely necessary (only to get food and supplies -- talk about cabin fever to the nth degree), and places like Portland turning a blind eye to violent rioting for months on end (like that doesn't send out a message).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                Nationwide it looks like murder / homicide / accidental gun deaths are up around 24%. Portland sounds really bad but it's been a bad year all around.
                Up 116% compared to a national increase of 24% does sound really bad doesn't it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

London in the UK has a left-wing mayor, Sadiq Khan, been there for the last 4 years, and the city council there has, more often than not, had a left-wing dominance. Homicides involving guns run at about 100 a year, twice that of Portland this year. But it has about 15 times the population. And I guess the lockdown in London over the past year has been more severe than in Portland, so cabin fever isn't the answer.

Gun-related deaths in the USA, at around 40,000 a year, are actually on average 25 times greater than in the other top few dozen high income countries, per head of population (the difference between the US and the UK is closer to 50). - check it out here -
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

So I hardly see why it's all the left's fault......soft-left social democratic countries tend to have lower gun fatalities.

Perhaps you should look for deeper, more underlying structural reasons, as to what makes US citizens so prone to killing each other.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hunt View Post
                    London in the UK has a left-wing mayor, Sadiq Khan, been there for the last 4 years, and the city council there has, more often than not, had a left-wing dominance. Homicides involving guns run at about 100 a year, twice that of Portland this year. But it has about 15 times the population. And I guess the lockdown in London over the past year has been more severe than in Portland, so cabin fever isn't the answer.

Gun-related deaths in the USA, at around 40,000 a year, are actually on average 25 times greater than in the other top few dozen high income countries, per head of population (the difference between the US and the UK is closer to 50). - check it out here -
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

So I hardly see why it's all the left's fault......soft-left social democratic countries tend to have lower gun fatalities.

Perhaps you should look for deeper, more underlying structural reasons, as to what makes US citizens so prone to killing each other.
                    Of course London hasn't experienced several months straight of rioting and looting with a mayor who has either turned a blind eye to it or even in some ways encouraged it telling the police to stand down.

And I'm surprised that London even has that many shootings given they've got very stringent gun control laws in a country with strict gun control laws that effectively bans nearly anyone from owning one. Heck, London even has "knife control" laws strictly regulating the possession of carrying them (last I heard knife related violence continues to rise sharply) and Britain even has strict regulations about carrying box cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      This is why I think a civil war in this country (if a "war" actually took shape) would be mostly urban vs. elsewhere. Can you imagine a bunch of hillbillies burning and looting the local general store?
                      "Yee-ha! Let's go loot the general store!"

(5-minutes later.)

"So what y'all wanna do now?"
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by John Hunt View Post
                        ...soft-left social democratic countries tend to have lower gun fatalities.
                        Yep. Psychopaths in those countries tend to use knives, blunt objects, vehicles, and arson to commit their violent crimes.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment