Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mr President: Stop the Insanity, You Lost - New York Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

You're correct, and I am shocked. There is absolutely no way his legal team can spend that much money on this particular issue.

He might try to return some/most of it - or donate it to a worthy cause.
    Now when I talk about the Trump cult zeitgeist - there you go.

Trump is going to 'donate' ill-gotten gains from his own massive scam?!?!?!

This is the man who set up Trump University and ripped off thousands. You know that - right? The man that mocked the emoluments clause and even explicitly tried to get foreign officials to use his personal business properties to host government events? How can you be so completely blind as to even consider there is any possibility he will do anything with that money that does not serve his direct personal desires? The only question is whether he'll break the law in attempting to ensure he personally benefits from each and every dime.

I haven't send a dime. But if people want to send him money, then that's their choice. People can also donate money to Al Gore for his Green Mansion, or just buy his book. He made himself rich selling snake oil.

Yeah, and it's the peoples choice to send money to Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart and Benny Hinn. Doesn't change the fact they were/are all cons and swindlers preying on the good intentions of those they have duped.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The only question is whether he'll break the law in attempting to ensure he personally benefits from each and every dime.
      And, really, it isn't much of a question. Trump has already admitted in court that he has no qualms about breaking the law, if he gets a financial gain as a result.

The best example I can think of is that Trump, while supposedly a billionaire, stole $7 from "The Donald J. Trump Foundation" and used the proceeds to pay for Donald junior's yearly Boy Scout fees. Only the most greedy of individuals would commit such a crime.
      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yeah, he swamped "allegations" with "alligations." Which is a pun I would have expected bayou.
        I see what you did there.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This showed up in my Facebook newsfeed: rudy_tweet.jpg
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

You do get all sorts of rubbish via Facebook these days- and Twitter, too it seems.

I assume you've ignored the blatant rubbish from whomever sent that bilge? Ideally pointed out exactly why it was bilge, assuming a friend's/family member/ colleague sent it?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
              You do get all sorts of rubbish via Facebook these days- and Twitter, too it seems.

I assume you've ignored the blatant rubbish from whomever sent that bilge? Ideally pointed out exactly why it was bilge, assuming a friend's/family member/ colleague sent it?
              No.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                This showed up in my Facebook newsfeed: rudy_tweet.jpg
                Given that Giuliani has demonstrated a history of making highly exaggerated claims, one is left feeling skeptical inherently.

But I decided to give it the ol' college try.

On #1, as far as I can tell, this is the the report in question:
                https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...n-Election.pdf

First, this isn't actually by the Judicial Committee, but rather a Subcommittee thereof. However, here's a rather critical excerpt that seems to have gone unnoticed:

"This Report by the Subcommittee Chair has not been formally approved by the Subcommittee or the standing Judiciary Committee. It is submitted for informational purposes to be a part of the record at the request of the Judiciary Chair."

So really, this was just a report given by one member that was not formally approved by the actual committees. To claim that the "Georgia Senate Judiciary Committee" issued the report when it was just one member of a subcommittee seems rather misleading.

On #2, it is not clear what this is supposed to prove. An audit is just a declaration to investigate something; it doesn't mean anything is actually there.

Also, when searching for information on this audit, apparently the impetus was that a guy named Jovan Hutton Pulitzer said that he was able to hack into the Dominion systems and if they allowed him to do his audit he could, in just a few hours, test half a million ballots to find any fraudulent ones, and the audit is testing out his claims.

But who is this Jovan Pulitzer? Is he someone with credentials that would make one grant him credence? Apparently, Pulitzer's main claim to fame is making a tech device that massively flopped and later becoming a treasure hunter who made some odd claims. These do not inspire confidence. For the record, Jovan Hutton Pulitzer is not his original name--it was Jeffrey Jovan Philyaw, and then sometime after the failure of CueCat he changed it. I wonder if the people who authorized his audit were aware of his history.

On #3, Giuliani's phrasing makes it look like they also unanimously voted to de-certify Biden, but that's not mentioned in any of the places I saw talking about the audit. When I tried to find information about them suggesting they de-certify Biden, it appears they go back to the earlier linked report I mentioned in #1 (specifically, its claim "The oral testimonies of witnesses on December 3, 2020, and subsequently, the written testimonies submitted by many others, provide ample evidence that the 2020 Georgia General Election was so compromised by systemic irregularities and voter fraud that it should not be certified.") But again, contrary to what Giuliani seems to be saying, this wasn't a report approved or voted on by the committee, let alone a unanimous decision; it was something written by one member that explicitly notes it was not approved by the committee or even the subcommittee.

So #1 and #3 are, at best, highly exaggerated. #2 seems is more accurate (though it's also the one that got the most coverage outside of the pro-Trump media, somewhat mitigating his complain about how people didn't know), but an audit isn't actual proof of anything other than some people decided to investigate something... and the person behind the audit doesn't exactly have a background that inspires confidence.
                Last edited by Terraceth; 01-01-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  Given that Giuliani has demonstrated a history of making highly exaggerated claims, one is left feeling skeptical inherently.

But I decided to give it the ol' college try.

On #1, as far as I can tell, this is the the report in question:
                  https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...n-Election.pdf

First, this isn't actually by the Judicial Committee, but rather a Subcommittee thereof. However, here's a rather critical excerpt that seems to have gone unnoticed:

"This Report by the Subcommittee Chair has not been formally approved by the Subcommittee or the standing Judiciary Committee. It is submitted for informational purposes to be a part of the record at the request of the Judiciary Chair."

So really, this was just a report given by one member that was not formally approved by the actual committees. To claim that the "Georgia Senate Judiciary Committee" issued the report when it was just one member of a subcommittee seems rather misleading.

On #2, it is not clear what this is supposed to prove. An audit is just a declaration to investigate something; it doesn't mean anything is actually there.

Also, when searching for information on this audit, apparently the impetus was that a guy named Jovan Hutton Pulitzer said that he was able to hack into the Dominion systems and if they allowed him to do his audit he could, in just a few hours, test half a million ballots to find any fraudulent ones, and the audit is testing out his claims.

But who is this Jovan Pulitzer? Is he someone with credentials that would make one grant him credence? Apparently, Pulitzer's main claim to fame is making a tech device that massively flopped and later becoming a treasure hunter who made some odd claims. These do not inspire confidence. For the record, Jovan Hutton Pulitzer is not his original name--it was Jeffrey Jovan Philyaw, and then sometime after the failure of CueCat he changed it. I wonder if the people who authorized his audit were aware of his history.

On #3, Giuliani's phrasing makes it look like they also unanimously voted to de-certify Biden, but that's not mentioned in any of the places I saw talking about the audit. When I tried to find information about them suggesting they de-certify Biden, it appears they go back to the earlier linked report I mentioned in #1 (specifically, its claim "The oral testimonies of witnesses on December 3, 2020, and subsequently, the written testimonies submitted by many others, provide ample evidence that the 2020 Georgia General Election was so compromised by systemic irregularities and voter fraud that it should not be certified.") But again, contrary to what Giuliani seems to be saying, this wasn't a report approved or voted on by the committee, let alone a unanimous decision; it was something written by one member that explicitly notes it was not approved by the committee or even the subcommittee.

So #1 and #3 are, at best, highly exaggerated. #2 seems is more accurate (though it's also the one that got the most coverage outside of the pro-Trump media, somewhat mitigating his complain about how people didn't know), but an audit isn't actual proof of anything other than some people decided to investigate something... and the person behind the audit doesn't exactly have a background that inspires confidence.
                  Thanks for that analysis.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reading about Lin Wood looking forward to Mike Pence’s arrest, treason trial and execution, and thinking, in a few years time, nobody’s going to believe this ever happened.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The New York Post's sister publication, The Wall Street Journal, is calling for Trump to resign. After calling Trump's behavior "impeachable", the editorial board wrote:

“If Mr. Trump wants to avoid a second impeachment, his best path would be to take personal responsibility and resign, It is best for everyone, himself included, if he goes away quietly.”
                      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                        The New York Post's sister publication, The Wall Street Journal, is calling for Trump to resign. After calling Trump's behavior "impeachable", the editorial board wrote:

“If Mr. Trump wants to avoid a second impeachment, his best path would be to take personal responsibility and resign, It is best for everyone, himself included, if he goes away quietly.”
                        Do you REALLY believe that the Senate would convict? Or would this be yet another total waste of time to bring out a bitter battle that may end up in an impeachment, but no conviction?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Do you REALLY believe that the Senate would convict? Or would this be yet another total waste of time to bring out a bitter battle that may end up in an impeachment, but no conviction?
                          They SHOULD convict but no, I don't think they will. Most of the words coming out from the Dems about Trump, Cruz and the rest of his enablers have been pretty mealy mouthed TBH.

As someone else has said (KingsGambit? Happy to be corrected), a significant amount of republicans have no problem with what happened the other day. So whilst something SHOULD happen to deter others (from either side of the aisle) from repeating this in future, doing what is right will cause goodness knows how much unrest.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

They SHOULD convict but no, I don't think they will.
                            So, here's the ultimate hypocrisy -- the Dems complain loudly about X doing 'whatever', instead of focusing on the current pandemic. But they themselves (and you apparently support this psychotic behavior) want to launch what they KNOW will be a futile exercise just out of spite and hate.

Most of the words coming out from the Dems about Trump, Cruz and the rest of his enablers have been pretty mealy mouthed TBH.
                            Because they're a bunch of mealy mouths?

As someone else has said (KingsGambit? Happy to be corrected), a significant amount of republicans have no problem with what happened the other day.
                            A) What is a "significant amount"?
                            2) Why in blue blazes does that matter?

So whilst something SHOULD happen to deter others (from either side of the aisle) from repeating this in future, doing what is right will cause goodness knows how much unrest.
                            I think anybody on the right who has half a brain is stunned by what happened - most of us NEVER IMAGINED that the right extremists of the Republican party would act like the leftists of the Democratic party.

The difference --- I condemn and am embarrassed by what happened --- the left does everything to defend and excuse their guys who loot and burn and rob and attack and try to burn down federal buildings.

Comment