Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We Have to Pay For This Pervert's Sex Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

Is your source really that far off from what Starlight posted? He shouldn't have said 'at no point' when his own quote used the word 'uncommon' but that seems to agree with what you wrote which is that it didn't become used typically in place of 'sex' in English until into the 20th century.
    He was still wrong and gender was commonly equated with sex in the latter part of the 20th century. But was also equated with sex back in the 12th century.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
      That is false. Gender is societally determined; being a cat is not.
      I was speaking of the word woman, and society (save a hand full of activists) has not redefined it. So if "society" decided to call the woman with species dysphoria a cat - that makes her a cat?

That has nothing to do with this issue. Some sexist, out of date terms were removed.
      The point was about a minority of activists changing definitions, not because of common use.

Because of common usage.
      Do you think the common use of 'woman' refers to a biological woman or something else?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Is your source really that far off from what Starlight posted? He shouldn't have said 'at no point' when his own quote used the word 'uncommon' but that seems to agree with what you wrote which is that it didn't become used typically in place of 'sex' in English until into the 20th century.
        Looks like his source says it was used as a synonym for sex since the 15th cent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          I cited wikipedia's article about "gender", not him.

You're the one who's bizarrely latched onto the biography of the first user of the word in a modern context, which has no relevance here, and you're so utterly obsessed with him that you keep writing irrelevant post after irrelevant post about him. Do you love perverts or something?
          It's relevant considering the sort of research he conducted to justify it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            I cited wikipedia's article about "gender", not him.
            By your own admission, you did ONE GOOGLE search, and, apparently, found something that you believed backed up your nutty assertion -- that's on you for not checking it out further.

You're the one who's bizarrely latched onto the biography of the first user of the word in a modern context, which has no relevance here, and you're so utterly obsessed with him that you keep writing irrelevant post after irrelevant post about him. Do you love perverts or something?
            Laughing --- just admit it - you chose a bad example, and now you're trying to blame ME that your cite included a PERVERT who did experiments on CHILDREN, forcing them to simulate sex acts and FILMING them.

And then you cowardly try to paint ME as the "bizarre" one for exposing the PERVERT you provided.

Perhaps next time you'll be a little more careful accepting the very first search result that supports your false claims.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

He was still wrong and gender was commonly equated with sex in the latter part of the 20th century. But was also equated with sex back in the 12th century.
              Starlight's link pointed to 1955 i.e. mid 20th century as the use of it in the modern sense. You would have to show that it was commonly used as a synonym for sex prior to that point but here you agree it wasn't commonly used in that sense until the lath 20th century.

We showed that the word was uncommonly used at all until well after 1955.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Looks like his source says it was used as a synonym for sex since the 15th cent.
                I don't think showing that it had an uncommon usage in the distant past really is the issue. As I said, it was a rarely used word prior to, say, 1980.

Comment

Starlight's link pointed to 1955 i.e. mid 20th century as the use of it in the modern sense. You would have to show that it was commonly used as a synonym for sex prior to that point but here you agree it wasn't commonly used in that sense until the lath 20th century.

We showed that the word was uncommonly used at all until well after 1955.
                  I agree, but it never used as a counter to sex as Star suggested, and our common use (in our life times) linked it to sex. It certainly was never used to say that you could change the sex of an individual.

Gen´der Pronunciation: jĕn´dẽr
                  Last edited by seer; 12-27-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I was speaking of the word woman, and society (save a hand full of activists) has not redefined it.
                    The dictionary shows you to be wrong.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    So if "society" decided to call the woman with species dysphoria a cat - that makes her a cat?
                    Common usage dic tates the meaning of words.

The point was about a minority of activists changing definitions, not because of common use.
                    Then it wasn't made.

Do you think the common use of 'woman' refers to a biological woman or something else?
                    It refers to gender, of course.
                    America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Common usage dic tates the meaning of words.
                      As someone who is more conservative about language change than everything else put together I can affirm that this is accurate.

Comment

The dictionary shows you to be wrong.
                        Which dictionary? I looked at a half dozen dictionaries, they all said a woman was an adult human female - and female is is defined as a child bearer. That is the common use.

Common usage dictates the meaning of words.
                        The common use of woman is an adult human female - and female is is defined as a child bearer.

Then it wasn't made.
                        You you have a problem with comprehension?

Oxford dictionaries change 'sexist' definitions of the word 'woman' after online petition

The update was sparked by a Change.org petition started in 2019 by London-based communication strategist Maria Beatrice Giovanardi. The petition, which garnered more than 34,000 signatures. The update was sparked by a Change.org petition started in 2019 by London-based communication strategist Maria Beatrice Giovanardi. The petition, which garnered more than 34,000 signatures.

It refers to gender, of course.
                        Except gender is still commonly linked to sex as my last definition showed and has been for decades now.

Comment

Which dictionary? I looked at a half dozen dictionaries, they all said a woman was an adult human female - and female is is defined as a child bearer. That is the common use.

The common use of woman is an adult human female - and female is is defined as a child bearer.

You you have a problem with comprehension?

Oxford dictionaries change 'sexist' definitions of the word 'woman' after online petition

The update was sparked by a Change.org petition started in 2019 by London-based communication strategist Maria Beatrice Giovanardi. The petition, which garnered more than 34,000 signatures. The update was sparked by a Change.org petition started in 2019 by London-based communication strategist Maria Beatrice Giovanardi. The petition, which garnered more than 34,000 signatures.

Except gender is still commonly linked to sex as my last definition showed and has been for decades now.
                          And lo! and behold, the very first dictionary I consult - Merriam-Webster shows:

Definition of female
                          1a(1) : of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggs In a field of milkweed, I watched a female monarch butterfly deposit a single egg on the underside of a leaf.— Tom Tyning A few months later, she became the highest paid female performer on the Great White Way.— Susannah McCorkle
                          (2) botany : having or producing only pistils or pistillate flowers a female holly female inflorescences

b : having a gender identity that is the opposite of male

(my italics)

America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

And lo! and behold, the very first dictionary I consult - Merriam-Webster shows:

Definition of female
                            1a(1) : of, relating to, or being the sex that typically has the capacity to bear young or produce eggs In a field of milkweed, I watched a female monarch butterfly deposit a single egg on the underside of a leaf.— Tom Tyning A few months later, she became the highest paid female performer on the Great White Way.— Susannah McCorkle
                            (2) botany : having or producing only pistils or pistillate flowers a female holly female inflorescences

b : having agender identity that is the opposite of male

(my italics)

And what is the first definition, which is more commonly used? Do you really believe that most people think of female or use it the sense of gender identity? And you may want to check other dictionaries and not cherry pick. It is NOT a common use - period.

https://onelook.com/?w=female&ls=a

Comment

Definition of female

b : having a gender identity that is the opposite of male

(my italics)

Noting it was your bolding, of course, but somehow you imagine that the dictionary would place the most COMMON usage second.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment