Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Barr Says No Need For Special Counsel For Hunter Biden Probe, Election Fraud Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barr Says No Need For Special Counsel For Hunter Biden Probe, Election Fraud Claims

Trump's conspiracies unravel, and Barr resigns.

[cite=https://www.npr.org/2020/12/21/948787251/barr-says-no-need-for-special-counsel-for-hunter-biden-probe-election-fraud-clai]

Barr Says No Need For Special Counsel For Hunter Biden Probe, Election Fraud Claims

December 21, 202012:03 PM ET
    RYAN LUCAS

Attorney General William Barr said Monday he sees no reason to appoint a special counsel to lead the ongoing federal investigation into Hunter Biden or to probe further President Trump's claims of widespread fraud in the 2020 election.

The comments from Barr, delivered at what was likely his final news conference as attorney general, put a damper on two ideas that the president has reportedly raised in recent days. But Barr's ability to influence events all but disappears Wednesday when he will step down as attorney general.

President-elect Joe Biden's son Hunter announced this month that he's under federal investigation over potential tax issues. Trump has fumed since news of the probe came to light, arguing that Barr should have made the investigation public before the election — in contravention of Justice Department policy.

Some Republicans are pushing for the Justice Department to name a special counsel to handle the probe, which would add an extra layer of protection from potential political influence in a sensitive case involving the president-elect's son.Asked whether he agreed with the idea, Barr said no. ]/cite]

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

A whole lot of pitiful QAnon adherents out there in for some woeful disillusionment in 2021.

Comment

Yes, wanting a little distance (a bit late in the day) from the mad POTUS, and hoping to polish his turdlike reputation. Next worst A.G. would be John Mitchell.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Trump's conspiracies unravel, and Barr resigns.
        Trump is thinking about firing Rosen, too, if he doesn't appoint special counsels.

I don't know how much of a threat that is, for someone who is about to be out of a job anyway. But Rosen does seem to be a Trump loyalist.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Yes, wanting a little distance (a bit late in the day) from the mad POTUS, and hoping to polish his turdlike reputation. Next worst A.G. would be John Mitchell.
          Trump is the Mad Hater at the Tea Party, Guess who the other characters are?
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Barr is all about protecting the system. He does just enough to make it look like he's doing something without actually doing anything.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Barr is all about protecting the system. He does just enough to make it look like he's doing something without actually doing anything.
              Huh?!?!?!?!

Frank

Comment

Huh?!?!?!?!
                Barr didn't fly with Trumps fantasy so now MM will be saying bad things about Barr. Predictable as water at the mouth of the Amazon.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Huh?!?!?!?!
                  Read it slowly and sound out the words. You'll figure it out. Don't be afraid to ask an adult for help if you're still having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Barr didn't fly with Trumps fantasy so now MM will be saying bad things about Barr. Predictable as water at the mouth of the Amazon.
                    Swing and a miss.

Comment

Read it slowly and sound out the words. You'll figure it out. Don't be afraid to ask an adult for help if you're still having problems.
                      Huh?!?!?!!?

Frank

Comment

The system which argues that a child molester should go unprosecuted despite having him dead to rights?

Comment

My opinion

1. It would seem a bit of Karmic retribution if Biden had to face an investigation started by the outgoing administration that detests them. From that perspective, I'd say go ahead.
                          2. On the other hand, the idea that the outgoing administration wants to start a special investigation of it's incoming replacement seems "icky" to put it mildly.

Out of the two things, I think #2 wins out. Personal preference aside, it's not a great idea to try and ruin political opponents with investigations. I personally don't see the need (at the moment) for the investigation into hunter to move from regular to special investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                            My opinion

1. It would seem a bit of Karmic retribution if Biden had to face an investigation started by the outgoing administration that detests them. From that perspective, I'd say go ahead.
                            2. On the other hand, the idea that the outgoing administration wants to start a special investigation of it's incoming replacement seems "icky" to put it mildly.

Out of the two things, I think #2 wins out. Personal preference aside, it's not a great idea to try and ruin political opponents with investigations. I personally don't see the need (at the moment) for the investigation into hunter to move from regular to special investigation.
                            Without any pressure from the president on the DOJ, it would seem "icky".

Comment