Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID-19 Vaccine And Racism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19 Vaccine And Racism...

Racist leftists...

Expert tells NY Times: Elderly white people shouldn't get coronavirus vaccine priority in order to 'level playing field' with minorities

"The issue of ethics is very significant, very important for this country, and clearly favors the essential worker group because of the high proportion of minority, low-income and low-education workers among essential workers."Harald Schmidt, an expert in ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, told the New York Times, "It is reasonable to put essential workers ahead of older adults, given their risks, and that they are disproportionately minorities."

"Older populations are whiter, " Schmidt told the paper. "Society is structured in a way that enables them to live longer. Instead of giving additional health benefits to those who already had more of them, we can start to level the playing field a bit."

Schmidt proclaimed that essential workers should be given priority for the vaccine over the elderly, even though people aged 75-84 have a chance 220 times higher of dying from coronavirus than younger adults, and anyone over the age of 85 has a chance 630 times higher, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/corona...list-nyt-white
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Just heard about this from Tucker. Haven't pursued it yet, nor ranted about it on Facebook as is my wont.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It appears that this is getting widespread.

Source: Every single US state is being advised to consider ethnic minorities as critical groups for vaccination with HALF prioritizing black and Hispanic residents over white

• Half of US states mentioned racial equity in their plans for vaccine rollout
      • Of these, 12 states specifically mention efforts to 'reach diverse populations'
      • California, Louisiana, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Indiana are among those who have listed equity as a 'key principle for vaccine distribution'
      • New Jersey, California and Kansas will focus on improving access to the vaccine by targeting transportation issues
      • New Mexico will focus on Native American communities
      • Many states will be focusing on their communication to black communities who have shown in increased hestitance to take a vaccine
      • In the US, black and Hispanic people are almost three times more likely to die from Covid-19 than whites
      Every US state has been advised to consider ethnic minorities as a critical and vulnerable group in their vaccine distribution plans, according to Centers for Disease Control guidance.

As a result, half of the nation's states have outlined plans that now prioritize black, Hispanic and indigenous residents over white people in some way, as the vaccine rollout begins.

According to our analysis, 25 states have committed to a focus on racial and ethnic communities as they decided which groups should be prioritized in receiving a coronavirus vaccine dose.

These include New Mexico, where collaboration with Native Americans is being prioritized; California, which has committed to ensuring black and Hispanic people have greater access to the vaccine; and Oregon, where health officials have said that ethnic minorities with have 'equitable access' to the shot.

Some states have made even more specific plans to prioritize communities of color, with 12 states specifically mentioning efforts to partner with healthcare providers in areas with a large minority population to reach 'diverse populations', according to Kaiser Family Foundation.

The CDC has also issued guidance on its Social Vulnerability Index (SVI) that uses 15 U.S. census variables to help local officials identify communities that may need support.

It is being used in states such as Michigan where minority status and language spoken could be taken into consideration when deciding how high a priority you are for receiving a vaccine.

Maine, in particular, has developed a 'Racial/Ethnic Minority COVID-19 Vaccination Plan' in an attempt to give a preference to groups that 'have experienced rates of disease that far exceed their representation in the population as a whole'.

In the US, black and Hispanic people are almost three times more likely to die from Covid-19 than whites.

It comes as the US added a second COVID-19 vaccine to its arsenal Friday, boosting efforts to beat back an outbreak so dire that the nation is regularly recording more than 3,000 deaths a day.

Much-needed doses are set to arrive Monday after the Food and Drug Administration authorized an emergency rollout of the vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. and the National Institutes of Health.

In the first stage of the vaccine rollout, most states followed the Centers for Disease Controls recommendation that health care workers and nursing home residents get the very first doses.

However, state-to-state variations are likely to increase in the next-priority groups, said the Kaiser Family Foundation's Jennifer Kates, who has been analyzing state vaccination plans.

'I think we're going to see states falling out in different ways,' with some putting older people ahead of essential workers, Kates said.

These differences could also be seen in the ways that states decide to prioritize sections of the population depending on race.

While the Kaiser report said that many state plans reported more 'general or indirect methods' of focusing on minority groups, several states have already lined them up as the next vaccine target groups.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The fact that blacks are more likely than whites to die from it is a legitimate consideration.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Makes sense to me. I haven't heard anybody crying "age-ist" when the elderly and nursing home patients were put at the top of the list.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          Makes sense to me. I haven't heard anybody crying "age-ist" when the elderly and nursing home patients were put at the top of the list.
          Of course the statistic I heard is that they are several hundreds times more likely to die as a result, not just three times.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is happening here in Canada, as well. Indigenous peoples are among the first to be vaccinated while the rest of us wait.

And although the elderly in nursing homes were at the top of the list, they have now been pushed back because the vaccine must be received at the place where the freezers are, and there are only 2 of those in the province of Alberta. They can't move the elderly to those places.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be transporting the frozen vaccine to the far reaches of the north where many indigenous people live so they can get the vaccine.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...emanuel-ageist

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I missed that one. Shouldn't be surprised.
                When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

The fact that blacks are more likely than whites to die from it is a legitimate consideration.
                  So a 30 year old black gets in line before a 75 year old white guy?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

This is why:

Schmidt proclaimed that essential workers should be given priority for the vaccine over the elderly, even though people aged 75-84 have a chance 220 times higher of dying from coronavirus than younger adults, and anyone over the age of 85 has a chance 630 times higher, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

This is why:

Older people are much more likely to die if they are exposed, but essential workers are much more likely to be exposed. And minorities don't have to be as old as whites to have the same amount of risk.

I don't have the exact numbers, but I expect it's possible to get them, and it seems reasonable to take such factors into account in deciding who should have priority for vaccination.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Older people are much more likely to die if they are exposed, but essential workers are much more likely to be exposed. And minorities don't have to be as old as whites to have the same amount of risk.

I don't have the exact numbers, but I expect it's possible to get them, and it seems reasonable to take such factors into account in deciding who should have priority for vaccination.
                        Thats easy enough to deal with. % chance exposure x % group mortality rate = overall risk.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Just heard about this from Tucker. Haven't pursued it yet, nor ranted about it on Facebook as is my wont.
                          I don't know why, but that statement actually made me laugh out loud.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It appears that this is getting widespread.

Source: Every single US state is being advised to consider ethnic minorities as critical groups for vaccination with HALF prioritizing black and Hispanic residents over white

• Half of US states mentioned racial equity in their plans for vaccine rollout
                            • Of these, 12 states specifically mention efforts to 'reach diverse populations'
                            • California, Louisiana, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Indiana are among those who have listed equity as a 'key principle for vaccine distribution'
                            • New Jersey, California and Kansas will focus on improving access to the vaccine by targeting transportation issues
                            • New Mexico will focus on Native American communities
                            • Many states will be focusing on their communication to black communities who have shown in increased hestitance to take a vaccine
                            • In the US, black and Hispanic people are almost three times more likely to die from Covid-19 than whites
                            Every US state has been advised to consider ethnic minorities as a critical and vulnerable group in their vaccine distribution plans, according to Centers for Disease Control guidance.

As a result, half of the nation's states have outlined plans that now prioritize black, Hispanic and indigenous residents over white people in some way, as the vaccine rollout begins.

According to our analysis, 25 states have committed to a focus on racial and ethnic communities as they decided which groups should be prioritized in receiving a coronavirus vaccine dose.

These include New Mexico, where collaboration with Native Americans is being prioritized; California, which has committed to ensuring black and Hispanic people have greater access to the vaccine; and Oregon, where health officials have said that ethnic minorities with have 'equitable access' to the shot.

Some states have made even more specific plans to prioritize communities of color, with 12 states specifically mentioning efforts to partner with healthcare providers in areas with a large minority population to reach 'diverse populations', according to Kaiser Family Foundation.

The CDC has also issued guidance on its Social Vulnerability Index (SVI) that uses 15 U.S. census variables to help local officials identify communities that may need support.

It is being used in states such as Michigan where minority status and language spoken could be taken into consideration when deciding how high a priority you are for receiving a vaccine.

Maine, in particular, has developed a 'Racial/Ethnic Minority COVID-19 Vaccination Plan' in an attempt to give a preference to groups that 'have experienced rates of disease that far exceed their representation in the population as a whole'.

In the US, black and Hispanic people are almost three times more likely to die from Covid-19 than whites.

It comes as the US added a second COVID-19 vaccine to its arsenal Friday, boosting efforts to beat back an outbreak so dire that the nation is regularly recording more than 3,000 deaths a day.

Much-needed doses are set to arrive Monday after the Food and Drug Administration authorized an emergency rollout of the vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. and the National Institutes of Health.

In the first stage of the vaccine rollout, most states followed the Centers for Disease Controls recommendation that health care workers and nursing home residents get the very first doses.

However, state-to-state variations are likely to increase in the next-priority groups, said the Kaiser Family Foundation's Jennifer Kates, who has been analyzing state vaccination plans.

'I think we're going to see states falling out in different ways,' with some putting older people ahead of essential workers, Kates said.

These differences could also be seen in the ways that states decide to prioritize sections of the population depending on race.

While the Kaiser report said that many state plans reported more 'general or indirect methods' of focusing on minority groups, several states have already lined them up as the next vaccine target groups.

Source

As a minority, I'll gladly step aside and allow others to be the guinea pigs before I am. I have no problems with that whatsoever.

Comment

The latest from the Babylon Bee (an irate Snopes is overdue for fact checking them again ):

Source: Moderna Vaccine Rejected Since It Also Works On White People

In a blow to the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, Moderna’s vaccine has now been rejected by the FDA. This was done because of a recommendation from the CDC, which found out that the Moderna vaccine is effective in preventing white people from getting COVID-19, something they’re concerned could increase racial inequality.

“The possibility that the vaccine could cause more white people to survive the novel coronavirus is just too risky,” said CDC spokesman Steve Coleman. "It’s almost like Moderna is one of those 'All Lives Matter' people. We’re telling them to go back to the drawing board, though, and make a racial justice vaccine that only works on minorities."

There have been suggestions that when deciding who will receive the vaccine, doctors just shouldn’t give it to white people, but the CDC says that still leaves too much of a risk that white people will somehow obtain doses of the vaccine, as white people are "wily." Video has already emerged of Mike Pence, a notoriously white man, getting the Pfizer vaccine.

The creation of a new vaccine that only works for minorities could take another year or more, during which most of the country will once again have to lock down. To help, the government will send out a new stimulus package of a check for twenty dollars and a coupon for Arby’s, though white people will only receive postcards telling them, "Check your privilege."

Source

Comment