Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abraham Lincoln school to be renamed because "he didn't show Black LIves Mattered"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham Lincoln school to be renamed because "he didn't show Black LIves Mattered"

San Francisco to rename ABRAHAM LINCOLN High School because — I swear this is real — "he did not show that black lives ever mattered to him"

What's the first thing you think of when you hear "Abraham Lincoln"?

Right. He's the president who freed the slaves.

Wellll that's not good enough for the contemporary Woke Mafia. Sorry Abe, but you're getting canceled.

Committee Recommends Changing Name Of Abraham Lincoln High School Because He Allegedly Didn’t Prove Black Lives Matter

The San Francisco school district renaming committee reportedly wants to strip the name of former President Abraham Lincoln from a school over racism.

San Francisco is really renaming Abraham Lincoln High School and really said it's because Lincoln "did not show" that "black lives ever mattered" to him.

according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "Lincoln, like the presidents before him and most after, did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building."

"Uprooting the problematic names and symbols that currently clutter buildings, streets, throughout the city is a worthy endeavor," he noted, according to the report. "Only good can come from the public being reflective and intentional about the power of our words, names and rhetoric within our public institutions."
    https://notthebee.com/article/san-fr...prDkaCpCRxjKiE

original sf chronicle article referenced:
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Abraham-Lincoln-was-once-a-hero-In-some-S-F-15798744.php
    Last edited by Sparko; 12-17-2020, 07:58 AM.

The rationalizations from the left should be entertaining.

Maybe I should all realize that the left is reinterpreting all of history, and the white man is sure to be the loser because no one in all of history is smarter than a newly minted arts degree graduates.

Sorry Abe you have to go, your skin is too pale. The future has spoken.

Comment

Lincoln did say some things that would be seen as racist, but that does not seem to be their rationalization.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Lincoln did say some things that would be seen as racist, but that does not seem to be their rationalization.
        They are trying to judge him by their own current standards and not on the time that he actually lived in. Chrono-snobbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          San Francisco to rename ABRAHAM LINCOLN High School because — I swear this is real — "he did not show that black lives ever mattered to him"

Wellll that's not good enough for the contemporary Woke Mafia. Sorry Abe, but you're getting canceled.

Committee Recommends Changing Name Of Abraham Lincoln High School Because He Allegedly Didn’t Prove Black Lives Matter

The San Francisco school district renaming committee reportedly wants to strip the name of former President Abraham Lincoln from a school over racism.

San Francisco is really renaming Abraham Lincoln High School and really said it's because Lincoln "did not show" that "black lives ever mattered" to him.

according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "Lincoln, like the presidents before him and most after, did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building."

"Uprooting the problematic names and symbols that currently clutter buildings, streets, throughout the city is a worthy endeavor," he noted, according to the report. "Only good can come from the public being reflective and intentional about the power of our words, names and rhetoric within our public institutions."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Abraham-Lincoln-was-once-a-hero-In-some-S-F-15798744.php
          Note that the link states "An earlier version of this story reported that the committee was renaming the school because Lincoln “never showed” black lives mattered. The actual proposal refers only to Native Americans..." It then goes on to repeat the same claim - that it's about "black lives". Seems like some sloppy reporting, but from what I can understand, it's about Lincoln's relationship with/treatement of native Americans, not African Americans.

I've not seen this website before, but the editing is terrible. Missing full stops (periods), sentences missing words ("...Lincoln’s treatment of Native Americans during his administration met the criteria to rename a school after him.". Seems like the words 'after him' in there should be 'currently named after him'). Not that that's relevant, but it annoyed me.

Note: I still think it's crazy.
          Last edited by Electric Skeptic; 12-17-2020, 09:16 AM.
          America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
            Note that the link states "An earlier version of this story reported that the committee was renaming the school because Lincoln “never showed” black lives mattered. The actual proposal refers only to Native Americans..." It then goes on to repeat the same claim - that it's about "black lives". Seems like some sloppy reporting, but from what I can understand, it's about Lincoln's relationship with/treatement of native Americans, not African Americans.

Note: I still think it's crazy.
            Yeah it says that they stopped bothering to consider other criteria after they mentioned the native americans but then they also went on to say ""Lincoln, like the presidents before him and most after, did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building." So that was actually still part of the reason that they took the name off and they still actually believed that nonsense.

Comment

Yeah it says that they stopped bothering to consider other criteria after they mentioned the native americans but then they also went on to say ""Lincoln, like the presidents before him and most after, did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building." So that was actually still part of the reason that they took the name off and they still actually believed that nonsense.
              It says that (paraphrasing) once they considered his relationship with Native Americans, that was enough for him to 'qualify' for removal; they didn't pursue the African American line because they didn't want to 'belabor the point'. Which seems to mean that if the native American thing hadn't been enough, the African American thing would have put it over the edge.

Idiocy.

America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                It says that (paraphrasing) once they considered his relationship with Native Americans, that was enough for him to 'qualify' for removal; they didn't pursue the African American line because they didn't want to 'belabor the point'. Which seems to mean that if the native American thing hadn't been enough, the African American thing would have put it over the edge.

Idiocy.
                agreed. and they used Wikipedia as their source, not even bothering to use real historians. Read the SF Chronicle article at the bottom of the OP.

Comment

He did say some things early on (in the Lincoln/Douglas debates) about blacks not being equal to whites. Whether or not he changed that opinion once the war started is unknown to me. But he was a product of his time and should be viewed that way.

The main thing I try to remember is that Lincoln was a shrewd politician and would say things that appealed to a particular audience. And his emancipation proclamation was as political as it was altruistic.

A complicated man and president.

Comment

I would that is nutsy insane. Wouldn't is be nice if the majority that lean left or right but don't hang glide off either cliff would just rise up together and say this extreme end defining who we are NEEDS TO STOP. We are not a nation of extremists, so why do we keep letting the extremes define us?
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

They are trying to judge him by their own current standards and not on the time that he actually lived in. Chrono-snobbery.
                      Not to mention how groups like BLM, who co-founder Patrisse Cullors has declared that she and her fellow organizers are "trained Marxists," have no trouble with the open racism expressed by Marx and Engels

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In the context of his own times? Too often, we are judging people and events "back then" by totally different standards of today. My Dad had a dog named [the N Word] because a black neighbor gave it to him, and that was what the black man named the dog.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In the context of his own times? Too often, we are judging people and events "back then" by totally different standards of today. My Dad had a dog named [the N Word] because a black neighbor gave it to him, and that was what the black man named the dog.
                          Of course I'm not saying he wasn't a product of his time, but rather noting that if these guys were trying to find a reason for justifying their idiocy they didn't even pick the obvious one but instead for whatever reason argued it's because he "did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building."

Comment

Of course I'm not saying he wasn't a product of his time, but rather noting that if these guys were trying to find a reason for justifying their idiocy they didn't even pick the obvious one but instead for whatever reason argued it's because he "did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building."
                            It's like the get on a roll, and get sucked into a witch hunt of absolutely ridiculous proportions.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's like the get on a roll, and get sucked into a witch hunt of absolutely ridiculous proportions.
                              Pretty much the natural progression of these sort of things.

Comment