Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should we shut Civics 101 down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we shut Civics 101 down?

Civics has basically taken over Theologyweb in the last few years to the point that it is just about the only active section. The problem, besides the obvious one that this is supposed to be a THEOLOGY discussion site, is that Civics is a cesspool of trolling, fighting, and name calling. We have been considering just shutting it down completely and getting back to debating Theology and fostering more social interactions in the fellowship areas.

What is your opinion? Yes, shut it down, no, don't? Have some other ideas? Vote in the poll and explain in the thread. Votes are public.

Yes, shut it down
    42.42%
    No, leave it like it is.
    39.39%
    Other suggestion (explain in thread)
    18.18%

I'm guessing shutting it down would help take the edge off - politics is always contentious. But the deep disdain in some for others will not likely just disappear because politics is off the table.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I find it hard to have meaningful discussions as most threads are in the gutter by page 3. Let's get back to focusing on religion including atheism and discussions around that.

And yes the number of active members and posts will go down.
      Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 12-16-2020, 08:12 AM. Reason: Added comment about membership.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I think if some of us were to make a serious effort to tone things down, and deal with facts instead of false accusations and condemnation, and encourage others to do likewise, it could be salvaged. As I have said, I considered the probability that it was ME who was causing the bulk of the rancor, so I disappeared for a while, but each time I peeked back, the pot was still boiling. There aren't THAT MANY posters who are responsible for the rancor.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As I mentioned to you and mossy I think with Trump leaving office that the TDS crowd will start cooling off in the months that follow. Any discussion should probably wait and see if that does happen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe a separate (higher) standard of behaviour could be instituted for the Civics forum?

If posters were given infractions for the undesirable behaviour, posts removed etc that would remove problem posters and 'encourage' a higher standard of behaviour.
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              As I mentioned to you and mossy I think with Trump leaving office that the TDS crowd will start cooling off in the months that follow. Any discussion should probably wait and see if that does happen
              Naw, the Georgia runoffs are just around the corner, then there's the campaigning for the mid-terms --- I think that's gonna be a revenge election. I don't see this going away.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                Maybe a separate (higher) standard of behaviour could be instituted for the Civics forum?

If posters were given infractions for the undesirable behaviour, posts removed etc that would remove problem posters and 'encourage' a higher standard of behaviour.
                That creates quite a dilemma for the mods. "Yeah, you deleted MY post, but you let your BUDDIES say horrible things...."

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I am willing to give it a couple of months before making a final decision. I don't see things changing. It was pretty bad when Obama was President too.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

I think we would just end up with most of the members in the matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      I find it hard to have meaningful discussions as most threads are in the gutter by page 3. Let's get back to focusing on religion including atheism and discussions around that.

And yes the number of active members and posts will go down.
                      I am hoping that if we move back to a Theology centered site we would attract more of the types of members we want over time.

Comment

Any suggestions for leaving civics open but making it less relevant/popular would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That creates quite a dilemma for the mods. "Yeah, you deleted MY post, but you let your BUDDIES say horrible things...."
                          No, I mean that the mods do what they normally do, except that for Civics there is a higher standard of conduct.

For example, perhaps any form of personal attack could be moderated. so things like making mocking versions of a poster's name, or calling them evil, or stupid, or ignorant etc etc could be considered an infraction.

Also - I expect that the posters who don't trust the mods to be at least somewhat fair and balanced are a large part of the problem anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Any suggestions for leaving civics open but making it less relevant/popular would be appreciated.
                            Get the Twitter, Youtube or Facebook moderators to run it?

Move seriously, some limit on how many posts a member can make per day on the Civics forum? Say 5 a day? That would make people only reply to things that really matter to them & it would slow things down, maybe let people cool off & post more thoughtfully.
                            Last edited by MaxVel; 12-16-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am hoping that if we move back to a Theology centered site we would attract more of the types of members we want over time.
                              Yeah, I have tried to start serious discussions - particularly with the practical application of theology - but they go nowhere. One of the main reasons I took another vacation.

Comment