Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another unprovoked shooting by police that lead to death of a black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another unprovoked shooting by police that lead to death of a black

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/12/us/casey-goodson-jr-what-we-know/index.html

Here's what we know about the Casey Goodson Jr. fatal police shooting

By Christina Maxouris, CNN

(CNN)A Franklin County Sheriff's Office deputy was in Columbus, Ohio, on December 4 looking for violent offenders. Instead, he fatally shot Casey Goodson Jr., a 23-year-old Black man, who had no criminal background, according to a family attorney, and was not the target of any investigation.

Goodson's mother says he was shot as he tried entering his home after returning from the dentist and Subway, a quick stop he made to get sandwiches for his 5-year-old brother and 72-year-old grandmother. The two found Goodson lying on the ground, family attorney Sean Walton told CNN.

"My grandson just got shot in the back when he come in the house," Goodson's grandmother told a 911 operator.
    Attorney says Casey Goodson Jr. pointed a gun at the deputy who fatally shot him.

"He went to the dentist or somewhere and came home," she later said. "All I know is there's a bunch of gunfire. He's not a bad kid. He doesn't have a police record. He works. I don't know what happened."

Exploring patient characteristics and clinical researchGoodson had put his keys into his door before he was shot and fell into the kitchen, Walton said. Hours after the shooting, his keys remained hanging on the door, the attorney added, "a reminder to his family of how close he was to safety," the attorney sai
    d.
    The shooting is the latest in a series in recent years involving young Black

men
    and teens in a city that has grappled with racial inequalities for generations. Over the summer, Columbus also saw demonstrations after George Floyd's death, during which protesters clashed with police, who fired rubber bullets and pepper spray. Demonstrations in response to Goodson's death are scheduled to take place over the weekend.

The Columbus Division of Police is handling the investigation into the shooting and the US Attorney's Office in Southern Ohio has opened a civil rights investigation. Columbus Police Chief Tom Quinlan on Thursday vowed for an "independent, meticulous, unbiased investigation with a singular focus: getting to the truth of what happened to Casey Goodson and why."
    But more than a week after the shooting, many questions remain.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

As statistics have displayed, "man-bites-dog" stories are great for click bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      As statistics have displayed, "man-bites-dog" stories are great for click bait.
      True story of an unarmed black man with no criminal record shoot in the back by a police officer entering his grandmother's house.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

True story of an unarmed black man with no criminal record shoot in the back by a police officer entering his grandmother's house.
        My comment wasn't regarding the accuracy of the story details, but only that it is not common enough-an-occurrence to grab your torches and pitchforks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My comment wasn't regarding the accuracy of the story details, but only that it is not common enough-an-occurrence to grab your torches and pitchforks.
          It is a very very common killing (murder) in the history of the United States.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-12-2020, 08:06 AM.

Frank

Comment

It is a very very common killing (murder) in the history of the United States.
            Not really. A far more common killing (murder) in the US involves black men killing other black people in gang shootouts (whether their victims are gang members or just innocent civilians in the crossfire). But that doesn't get much attention because, as Ronson was trying to get at, that's a dog-bites-man, common story. It's man-bites-dog stories like yours that get the attention because they are so rare and unusual.

Comment

Let the riots and burning and destruction begin again!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Interesting, it appears he was a concealed carry permit holder and WAS armed at the time. The officer who shot him claims he pulled his gun and pointed it at said officer, but no evidence beyond his word so far, so we'll see how that goes. In my experience people who go through CCW training to get a permit don't tend to be the sort that would do something like that, so I'll definitely need to see some actual evidence (video, etc.) before I buy this tale.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/us/ca...day/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  Interesting, it appears he was a concealed carry permit holder and WAS armed at the time. The officer who shot him claims he pulled his gun and pointed it at said officer, but no evidence beyond his word so far, so we'll see how that goes. In my experience people who go through CCW training to get a permit don't tend to be the sort that would do something like that, so I'll definitely need to see some actual evidence (video, etc.) before I buy this tale.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/us/ca...day/index.html
                  What I notice is that Shuny is the type accept one-sides word without any evidence, and demand irrefutable proof for the other (and would probably still deny it).

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

What I notice is that Shuny is the type accept one-sides word without any evidence, and demand irrefutable proof for the other (and would probably still deny it).
                    Not a coherent response. Nothing here addresses the issues in the incident cited.

Frank

Comment

Not a coherent response. Nothing here addresses the issues in the incident cited.
                      It is entirely coherent, It just wasn't a response to the incident cited, it was a response to Gondwanaland. If it was intended as a response to your post it would have quoted you. You really should pay attention more.

Comment

It is entirely coherent, It just wasn't a response to the incident cited, it was a response to Gondwanaland. If it was intended as a response to your post it would have quoted you. You really should pay attention more.
                        It mentioned me without context nor relevance to the thread.

Frank

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that it was coherent. Again, you should pay attention more, perhaps choose your arguments better, you keep failing.

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that it was coherent. Again, you should pay attention more, perhaps choose your arguments better, you keep failing.

Frank

Comment

Oh, it was relevant. You claimed that the shooting was unprovoked based on nothing more than the layers statement.

Comment