Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christmas lights are now racist in St. Anthony, MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas lights are now racist in St. Anthony, MN

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1933663...istmas-lights/

A CHRISTMAS Grinch who sent an anonymous letter to a neighbor chastising them for their light display has been mocked for claiming the decorations have a "harmful impact".

Nurse Kim Hunt, who has "one string of lights and a lighted wreath on (her) house", was one of at least three St. Anthony, Minnesota residents who received the "ridiculous" letter on Monday, according to her.

Later that day, she uploaded it online and the post was picked up and shared by CrimeWatch Minneapolis.

"The idea of twinkling, colorful lights are a reminder of divisions that continue to run through our society, a reminder of systemic biases against our neighbors who don't celebrate Christmas or who can't afford to put up lights of their own," it read.

"We must do work of educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like yours can have."

The note went on to school the resident on the importance of "respect(ing) the dignity of all people, while striving to learn from differences, ideas, and opinions of our neighbors."

"We must come together collectively and challenge these institutional inequities," it continued.

"St. Anthony is a community welcoming of all people and we must demand better for ourselves."

Twitter users encouraged Hunt to "double your lights" and "put a whole herd of reindeer on your lawn" to spite the person who wrote the letter.

“Saw this coming a long time ago. ‘If I can’t have it nobody can’ or ‘if they have it we all deserve it’ that’s not life,” retired Baltimore Ravens quarterback Derek Anderson wrote.

Another user pointed out the irony that the writer is "doing exactly what they accuse the homeowner of doing- not being accepting of others."

"I would redouble my lights," they added.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Is this just one crazy person or is there an organized movement behind this as of now?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Is this just one crazy person or is there an organized movement behind this as of now?
      Don't know. KG.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The writer of the letter, while anonymous, is getting dragged on social media.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's one crazy person, and an organized movement fistbumping the endemic "War on Christmas" stories in right-fringe media. Next week, we'll have council meetings in St. Antony where the mayor will have to answer for why their fair city welcomes letter-writers ironically chastising socio-economic privilege from her elitist perch atop the masses flagrantly displaying her ownership of a computer, a printer, envelopes, and postage.

If I were a betting man, I'd be laying odds the "racist" slant on this story came from another source, even further out on the fringe, because it's nowhere to be found in the Sun piece, itself one of the Murdoch rags.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

It's one crazy person, and an organized movement fistbumping the endemic "War on Christmas" stories in right-fringe media. Next week, we'll have council meetings in St. Antony where the mayor will have to answer for why their fair city welcomes letter-writers ironically chastising socio-economic privilege from her elitist perch atop the masses flagrantly displaying her ownership of a computer, a printer, envelopes, and postage.

If I were a betting man, I'd be laying odds the "racist" slant on this story came from another source, even further out on the fringe, because it's nowhere to be found in the Sun piece, itself one of the Murdoch rags.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

The letter writer is claiming the light displayer is showing some sort of privilege as opposed to claiming the person is a racist. The racism angle appears to have come from the police department itself in that they had received a similarly formatted anonymous letter a couple years ago that addressed affordable housing and racism in the same manner.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Who cares if it's one person or a group?

The message that "we include everyone.........except you" is loud and clear and smacks of the liberal hypocrisy we've seen over and over the last 5 years.

And it smacks of critical race theory, which is a truckload of you-know-what.

Comment

So this was the house in question.

NINTCHDBPICT000624562735.jpg?w=620.jpg

this wasn't exactly a Clark Griswald house.

I would find out who the neighbor is and decorate their house for them, since they referenced people "who can't afford to put up lights of their own"

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  https://www.the-sun.com/news/1933663...istmas-lights/

A CHRISTMAS Grinch who sent an anonymous letter to a neighbor chastising them for their light display has been mocked for claiming the decorations have a "harmful impact".

Nurse Kim Hunt, who has "one string of lights and a lighted wreath on (her) house", was one of at least three St. Anthony, Minnesota residents who received the "ridiculous" letter on Monday, according to her.

Later that day, she uploaded it online and the post was picked up and shared by CrimeWatch Minneapolis.

"The idea of twinkling, colorful lights are a reminder of divisions that continue to run through our society, a reminder of systemic biases against our neighbors who don't celebrate Christmas or who can't afford to put up lights of their own," it read.

"We must do work of educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like yours can have."

The note went on to school the resident on the importance of "respect(ing) the dignity of all people, while striving to learn from differences, ideas, and opinions of our neighbors."

"We must come together collectively and challenge these institutional inequities," it continued.

"St. Anthony is a community welcoming of all people and we must demand better for ourselves."

Twitter users encouraged Hunt to "double your lights" and "put a whole herd of reindeer on your lawn" to spite the person who wrote the letter.

“Saw this coming a long time ago. ‘If I can’t have it nobody can’ or ‘if they have it we all deserve it’ that’s not life,” retired Baltimore Ravens quarterback Derek Anderson wrote.

Another user pointed out the irony that the writer is "doing exactly what they accuse the homeowner of doing- not being accepting of others."

"I would redouble my lights," they added.

That is pretty crazy 'out there in la la land' sort of a thing. I'd be inclined to toss it in the fire and go hang some more lights or put up a well lit manger scene in response to it
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    So this was the house in question.

NINTCHDBPICT000624562735.jpg?w=620.jpg

this wasn't exactly a Clark Griswald house.

I would find out who the neighbor is and decorate their house for them, since they referenced people "who can't afford to put up lights of their own"

I heard earlier that the house in question pretty much only had one string of lights. I wonder what other houses look like in the neighborhood. Are there others with more and did they get targeted as well? Or maybe she was targeted by whoever sent the letter for another unrelated reason and this was just an excuse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I heard earlier that the house in question pretty much only had one string of lights. I wonder what other houses look like in the neighborhood. Are there others with more and did they get targeted as well? Or maybe she was targeted by whoever sent the letter for another unrelated reason and this was just an excuse.
                      The OP said at least 3 others received the letter too. This sounds like a snowflake who needed a cause to rail against. I think the whole neighborhood should get together and sing carols in their front yard, bring them some figgy pudding, and leave them Christmas presents on the porch. Show them what Christmas is. Maybe some kindness will help their heart to grow three sizes.

Comment

It's represents a crazy leftist movement because it's part of critical race theory. It's no different than the racist concepts discussed in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          Who cares if it's one person or a group?

The message that "we include everyone.........except you" is loud and clear and smacks of the liberal hypocrisy we've seen over and over the last 5 years.

And it smacks of critical race theory, which is a truckload of you-know-what.
                          Nah, it's just a lone nutter stuck in a paper to rile up the annual 'they're trying to ban Christmas' nonsense. I suppose outrage sells more papers - though quite why people fall for it each year I am not so sure.

That it is in the Sun speaks volumes - one of Murdoch's bilge rags. The man and his right-wing media empire has a lot to atone for, after spending so many years preying on so many people's fears and insecurities that they're afraid and angry of stuff that doesn't meaningfully exist.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Nah, it's just a lone nutter stuck in a paper to rile up the annual 'they're trying to ban Christmas' nonsense. I suppose outrage sells more papers - though quite why people fall for it each year I am not so sure.

That it is in the Sun speaks volumes - one of Murdoch's bilge rags. The man and his right-wing media empire has a lot to atone for, after spending so many years preying on so many people's fears and insecurities that they're afraid and angry of stuff that doesn't meaningfully exist.
                            It's not one lone nut. Saying that "Christmas lights is racism" is the same as saying "children having their own rooms is racism." It's part of a nutty (I would argue racist) leftist movement called critical race theory.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Except I didn't hear about it from the newspaper. That's just where I found the article so I could share it here. I heard it on the radio, which is fairly MSM. It might just be one lone nutter, but it speaks volumes about the cancer of critical race theory that underlies almost everything the media and the left supports right now.

Comment