Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Calling someone a fascist is a Physical Threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Indeed it is. It betrays the accuser's belief that they are accurate judges of motive.
    Oh well I am sure you will exonerate figures such as Pinochet, Mussolini, Hitler and Franco. History clearly misjudged their motives.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Oh well I am sure you will exonerate figures such as Pinochet, Mussolini, Hitler and Franco. History clearly misjudged their motives.
      Considering their actions were EVIL, no I won't. Regardless of their motives, they were evil men doing evil things. And it's black and white idiocy like this that has caused the cavernous divide in politics. Any HINT of an action that can be framed as "fascist" by an opponent is immediately equated to the worst of historical humanity. Hence my original response.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And given past behaviours from some Trump supportersI would agree with LiconaFan97. Certain individuals may decide to employ physical violence [or the threat of it] towards those who have criticised Trump.

However, you never answered my question, namely if someone exhibits and/or demonstrates fascist attitudes what is wrong with acknowledging them as such?
        It is indeed possible. Much in the same way that the daily vitriol against Trump and Republicans[1] from MSNBC triggered (no pun intended) the left-wing crackpot, Bernie Sanders campaign worker and MSNBC fanboi, James Hodgkinson into deliberately targeting Republican Congressmen as they practiced for the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity in his shooting spree which resulted in critically wounding House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-Louisiana) as well as wounding four others.

The constant calls for assaulting Republicans, including from elected officials, has led to multiple violent attacks, including on elected officials (The left's actual political violence)

But to be fair, there are similar dangerous loons on both sides. This morning here in Georgia a website was deleted after calling on attacks on Republican officials (including Governor Brian Kemp of Georgia, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and Head of Voting for Georgia Gabe Sterling) because they have disagreed with Trump over the election results here in Georgia. The particular nutjob responsible even posted home addresses along with pictures of their homes and put gun sight marking over their pictures.

This sort of behavior goes well over the line and should not be tolerated by anyone regardless of party.

1. Before the shooting he asked if those out on the field were Republicans or Democrats
        Last edited by rogue06; 12-11-2020, 10:32 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          It's simple. We know that antifa are willing to use violence against fascists. They have a history in the last few years that show that. So, when a public figure calls someone a fascist they are inviting antifa to be violent against them, and therefore are making a physical threat.
          Total and unadulterated garbage. Fascist, is a description of your ideology, not a threat.

In case you don’t know what it is, read the news about what is happening in Trumpworld.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

If A makes inflammatory comments [written or spoken] suggesting that B should be killed and then C & D take A's comments literally, do you consider that A has any responsibility for the murder of B? Or is A exonerated because A was only using words?
            If a direct statement to that effect is made, I would certainly assign responsibility to A. But an opinion that someone is a fascist is not a direct statement to that end; it is an unrelated opinion that should not be held hostage to the whims of others. And as it is a politically charged opinion, free speech considerations are especially strong.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It is indeed possible.
              What is possible?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Total and unadulterated garbage. Fascist, is a description of your ideology, not a threat.

In case you don’t know what it is, read the news about what is happening in Trumpworld.
                Oh, but given that there are violent antifa that are willing to use violence, it is a threat, as it intives people to do you harm.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

If a direct statement to that effect is made, I would certainly assign responsibility to A.
                  Given that I wrote "If A makes inflammatory comments [written or spoken] suggesting that B should be killed" I would consider that to be a "direct statement" wouldn't you?

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Considering their actions were EVIL, no I won't. Regardless of their motives, they were evil men doing evil things.
                    And the USA assisted in putting one of them into power.

And it's black and white idiocy like this that has caused the cavernous divide in politics.
                    Of course it is ridiculous to label all conservatives as fascist but historically fascist regimes have generally found far more support from the politically conservative. Indeed the first that of Mussolini came to power at the head of a coalition supported by conservatives.

However, as with any political movement and/or ideology Fascism is too complex to be defined by a single concept.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What is possible?
                      My bad. Clarity was lost in the edit. It was in response to this statement of yours:

Certain individuals may decide to employ physical violence [or the threat of it] towards those who have criticised Trump.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        My bad. Clarity was lost in the edit. It was in response to this statement of yours:

Oh thank you. Now I understand. And as we have seen there is a very real danger that anyone who criticises or opposes Trump is liable to experience hate mail, death threats, and possible violence. Of course we know that Democrats have used violent language and that anti-Trump supporters have assaulted Trump supporters.

However, I have not read of any Democrat version of Cesar Sayoc or the "gentlemen" of Michigan who tried to kidnap the governor to put her on trial for treason. Do you know of any?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And the USA assisted in putting one of them into power.
                          So? Wasn't my decision to overthrow a communist USSR sympathizer... I'm talking about labeling things fascist that only vaguely resemble fascism. I did not mention anyone in particular. That was yours.

Of course it is ridiculous to label all conservatives as fascist but historically fascist regimes have generally found far more support from the politically conservative. Indeed the first that of Mussolini came to power at the head of a coalition supported by conservatives.
                          Is every quality of fascism in and of itself evil? Or is calling something or someone a fascist today merely a pejorative intended to lump someone in with people like these evil dictators?

However, as with any political movement and/or ideology Fascism is too complex to be defined by a single concept.
                          But that doesn't stop people from using it as a club on political opponents, does it?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So? Wasn't my decision to overthrow a communist USSR sympathizer.
                            Allende was democratically elected.

Is every quality of fascism in and of itself evil?
                            Well Hitler abolished fox hunting because it was cruel to the fox, and had the autobahn built.

Or is calling something or someone a fascist today merely a pejorative intended to lump someone in with people like these evil dictators?
                            I addressed the ridiculous tendency to call one's political opponents "fascists".

But that doesn't stop people from using it as a club on political opponents, does it?
                            Rather as you played no part in overthrowing at least one democratically elected government I play no part in calling all conservatives fascists.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh thank you. Now I understand. And as we have seen there is a very real danger that anyone who criticises or opposes Trump is liable to experience hate mail, death threats, and possible violence. Of course we know that Democrats have used violent language and that anti-Trump supporters have assaulted Trump supporters.
                              And those who support Trump face the very real danger of being physically assaulted in the streets or shot.

However, I have not read of any Democrat version of Cesar Sayoc or the "gentlemen" of Michigan who tried to kidnap the governor to put her on trial for treason. Do you know of any?
                              Try HERE. I linked to it previously but obviously you ignored it.

And I'll note, I could have added a great deal more to that. Such as how in in a speech in July of 2017 congressman Luis Gutiérrez (D-IL) called President Trump a "major criminal" who must be "eliminated" and a year later Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) called for a military coup against Trump. Or the Democrat state senator from Missouri, Maria Chappelle-Nada whol declared "I hope Trump is assassinated" leading to her being stripped of all Senate committee assignments by the Senate Democratic Leader and being publicly censured by the state Senate by a vote of 28–2.

And as the late infomercial pitchman Billy Mays used to say

I'll be happy to continue if you wish

Comment

Or is calling something or someone a fascist today merely a pejorative intended to lump someone in with people like these evil dictators?
                                Pretty much. Sort of like how many on the left scream racist and white supremacist in a knee jerk fashion at anybody they disagree with.

Probably my favorite example has to be when Candace Owens was accosted by antifa thugs in a Philadelphia restaurant who kept screaming that she was a racist and white supremacist.

unnamed (1).jpg
                                The "white supremacist" in question

And when police responded after they followed her out of the restaurant still screaming, the same imbeciles started calling the black & Hispanic cops that responded racist and white supremacist.

It's all they know. Calling your opponent a racist and white supremacist (even if they're black) is an automatic Pavlovian reaction for so many of these leftists and few are capable of going beyond that except to then physically attack the object of their confused ire.

Comment