Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No comment? No condemnation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Do I detect a soupçon of petulance?
    The fact that you play troll-games through lies, pedantry, and others is well documented. I wasted enough time explaining positions to you only to have you chop up my writing, breaking entire arguments up and ignoring stuff, lying about what was brought up, and then removing things, while asking questioning about stuff that was actually answered but cut out by you.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The fact that you play troll-games through lies, pedantry, and others is well documented. I wasted enough time explaining positions to you only to have you chop up my writing, breaking entire arguments up and ignoring stuff, lying about what was brought up, and then removing things, while asking questioning about stuff that was actually answered but cut out by you.
      Oh please spare me your kvetching.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Oh please spare me your kvetching.
        You are the one complaining at your bad behavior being called out. I'm sorry you don't like being called out for your own dishonest behavior on the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I think I see what you are trying to say.

You're better than this rogue. Here is a link to a fact check.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN26L2RD

The purported lie revolves around Biden's intended meaning for "I got my start", which from context is 'in politics', not 'in school'

And of course he'd repeat the claim In that Delaware State DID support him in his senate bid.

no- this is not even close to the pathological lying we have all become so used to from Trump. It doesn't appear to be a lie or even an exaggeration. Or are you referring to something else?
          You keep proving my point. You parse his lies in order to find nuggets of truth in them so you don't have to admit that Biden is a serial liar who when caught will fess up to his lies but then turn right around and keep repeating them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            OMB
            OMB is the hyper-Trumpisan equivalent of a creationist sticking thumbs in their ears singing la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you. Based on nothing more than prevalence, I'd guess it must be personally reassuring, but it's just as obviously damaging to your reputation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

OMB is the hyper-Trumpisan equivalent of a creationist sticking thumbs in their ears singing la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you. Based on nothing more than prevalence, I'd guess it must be personally reassuring, but it's just as obviously damaging to your reputation.
              You can't be serious. The "Orange Man Bad" schtick is well known and provable across the board. Literally hundreds of videos exist on YouTube where people are told a Trump policy was Biden's/Clinton's/Obama's and vice versa, and the mere attaching Trump's name to a subject made the person go off. Claiming it doesn't exist is flat Earth level denial.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

You can't be serious. The "Orange Man Bad" schtick is well known and provable across the board. Literally hundreds of videos exist on YouTube where people are told a Trump policy was Biden's/Clinton's/Obama's and vice versa, and the mere attaching Trump's name to a subject made the person go off. Claiming it doesn't exist is flat Earth level denial.
                The phrase OMB is never used by anyone other than Trump supporters, and is always used as a substitute for whatever argument is being made. There are literally hundreds of examples on this discussion board. It's likely some folks objections to Trump actions are visceral knee-jerks. It's also likely that many of the examples you're suggesting were based on false equivalences. I've seen too many of those to discount that possibility.

Comment

The phrase OMB is never used by anyone other than Trump supporters, and is always used as a substitute for whatever argument is being made. There are literally hundreds of examples on this discussion board. It's likely some folks objections to Trump actions are visceral knee-jerks. It's also likely that many of the examples you're suggesting were based on false equivalences. I've seen too many of those to discount that possibility.
                  Of course the phrase "orange man bad" isn't used. But then again saying the phrase isn't used is a straw-man in and of itself. OMB is used to reflect the sentiment that is so often used to justify different behaviors. So what if Biden was accused of sexual assault, you can't bring that up because Trump himself has been accused by many more women (OMB).

Essentially, OMB is the sentiment that Trump is bad, and therefore corrupt actions taken by democrats are justified by that logic, or complaints about those behaviors are dismissed by that logic.

Comment

And both of course are decidedly barbaric.
                    Well, I'm someone who favors reinstating corporal punishment, so...
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You keep proving my point. You parse his lies in order to find nuggets of truth in them so you don't have to admit that Biden is a serial liar who when caught will fess up to his lies but then turn right around and keep repeating them.
                      I'm quoting the fact check of your claim about this specific comment by Joe Biden. If Delaware State helped him get his start in politics, and the comment was about how 'he got started' and therefore subject to interpretation as to which starting point he is referring to, then you'll need to either come up with an instance were Biden explicitly says he attended college there or give it up. At this point it looks to me like you're accepting uncritically a manufactured claim.

more to the point, here is the text of the retraction issued by the Washington times, whose original article was a source for this misinformation:

Source: Washington times

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Democratic presidential nominee Joseph R. Biden claimed he attended Delaware State University, a historically Black college in his home state. He did not say that. The story has been updated to correct the error and detail the context of the initial reporting. The Times regrets the error.

Joseph R. Biden declared last year on the campaign trail that he “started out of” Delaware State University, a historically Black college, but the school says he was not referring to his academic career.

Carlos Holmes, director of news service for Delaware State, said when Mr. Biden made the statement last year at a historic high school founded for Black students in Florence, South Carolina, he meant that he launched his first Senate campaign at Delaware State in 1972.

“Joe Biden never meant to imply that he attended Delaware State,” Mr. Holmes told The Washington Times. “If he had, he would have been proud of it, but he didn’t, and that’s not what he meant.”

The Washington Times erroneously reported Sept. 26 that Mr. Biden said he began his academic career at Delaware State in a story headlined “Biden’s claim about attending historically Black Delaware State refuted by university.”

“I got started out of an HBCU, Delaware State. Now I don’t want to hear anything negative about Delaware State,” Mr. Biden told the audience, drawing laughter, at the Oct. 26 town hall.

Mr. Holmes says the Democratic presidential nominee never went to Delaware State — and wasn’t trying to claim he did. He was instead pointing to the start of his 1972 Senate run.

“He used the campus to announce that he was running for Congress,” Mr. Holmes said. “When a campaign decides to announce it to the world, they usually do it from some place, they usually do it at a media event. Well, that was his event: from the campus of Delaware State College. We weren’t a university yet.”

Mr. Holmes, who said he did not talk with the Biden campaign, told a Delaware newspaper that the meaning was clear from the context of Mr. Biden’s remarks in South Carolina.

“Watched in full context, it is clear that Biden was discussing his long association with historically Black colleges and universities, not making a claim that he attended Delaware State University,” Mr. Holmes said in The Delaware News Journal.

© Copyright Original Source

It also looks a lot like some sort of projection. Trump is indeed a serial liar. Its obvious and painful.. So to make Biden look no better than Trump, the Trump support media must find a way to cast him as a serial liar also. But I see no evidence of anything even close to what we've seen from Trump the last four years. This claim in specific doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You are the one complaining at your bad behavior being called out. I'm sorry you don't like being called out for your own dishonest behavior on the website.
                        I have not been dishonest. I have dealt with your recent comments point by point.

However, making openly snide remarks to one correspondent about another, does appear somewhat petty and rather petulant.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Well, I'm someone who favors reinstating corporal punishment, so...
                          Ah flagellate the sin out of 'em eh?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are you saying that Trump isn't called some variant of "Orange Man" by anyone except Trump supporters? Or that something that is even perceived as being said or done by him is considered bad for no reason other than he is perceived to have said it?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Of course the phrase "orange man bad" isn't used. But then again saying the phrase isn't used is a straw-man in and of itself. OMB is used to reflect the sentiment that is so often used to justify different behaviors. So what if Biden was accused of sexual assault, you can't bring that up because Trump himself has been accused by many more women (OMB).

Essentially, OMB is the sentiment that Trump is bad, and therefore corrupt actions taken by democrats are justified by that logic, or complaints about those behaviors are dismissed by that logic.
                              Your 'therefore' is false. Although that has been the explicit logic used by Trump supporters on this website ignore Trumps over the top corruption.

No one is justified doing something wrong because others are also doing wrong. If Biden committed actual sexual assault, it was wrong. And I've been making that point over and over again for the last four years.

But when it comes to a matter of degree, Trump exceeds most if not all who have come before him, taking corruption to levels heretofore only seen commonly in 3rd world dictatorships or Russia and other former soviet block members. That is not some trivial point of contention, and it does allow for a clear choice between 'horrible' and 'better', which is what most conservatives supporting the Biden presidency over a Trump second term are engaged in.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-09-2020, 08:46 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

At post #113 you asked "Do you think he should be punished and if so, what would you consider to be a fit punishment?" You appear to have miscomprehended the purpose of this thread. It was not started to discuss meting out punishments.

This thread was in response to a lack of any comments criticising or condemning DiGenova's remarks which were unethical and fascist.
                                You compared (correct word) DiGenova to Joseph Goebbels in your thread.

A wicked comparison you need to take responsibility for imo.
                                If Goebbels deserved x as a punishment, then what punishment does DiGenova deserve in your opinion?

If you agree that there is no real punishment DiGenova deserves, as you should, as any rational person would, then you will have to concede that your comparison was wicked and reckless in the extreme.

Comment