Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are liberals trying to cheat in the upcoming Georgia Senate Run-offs>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are liberals trying to cheat in the upcoming Georgia Senate Run-offs>

Source: https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-georgia-state-elections-elections-voter-registration-0dda2f95b4cea6506be9fb6555195a1c

Georgia official announces investigations, defends election

Raffensperger said there have been attempts to register ineligible people to vote ahead of a high-profile Jan. 5 runoff election for Georgia’s two U.S. Senate seats. He said his office’s 23 investigators also are looking into allegations of absentee ballot problems, as well as claims of people voting twice, people casting a dead person’s ballot and non-residents voting.

Raffensperger said investigators are also looking into specific allegations against four groups.

America Votes sent absentee ballot applications to people at addresses where they haven’t lived in more than 25 years, while Vote Forward tried to register a dead Alabama woman to vote in Georgia and the New Georgia Project sent registration applications to New York City, he said.

Raffensperger also said Operation New Voter Registration Georgia is telling college students they can register to vote in Georgia for the runoff and then change back to another state afterwards. An email sent to the group bounced back, saying the account doesn’t exist.

© Copyright Original Source

America Votes is a 5014 organization that aims "to coordinate and promote progressive issues.
    The New Georgia Project is Stacey Abrams voter registration Group.

I brought this up in another thread but thought it deserved its own thread.

Source: Georgia probing voter-registration groups ahead of critical U.S. Senate races

Election authorities in Georgia have opened investigations into progressive groups trying to sign up new voters in advance of twin January elections that will determine control of the U.S. Senate, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said on Monday.

Raffensperger, a Republican, said his office was examining registration efforts by America Votes, Vote Forward and the New Georgia Project. He said some groups had been encouraging people who lived outside Georgia to register to vote in the state.

“These third-party groups have a responsibility to not encourage illegal voting. If they do so, they will be held responsible,” Raffensperger said.

Representatives of the organizations did not immediately respond to questions about the announcement.

The state is the site of a pair of Jan. 5 runoffs for U.S. Senate seats that will determine which party controls the upper chamber of Congress for the next two years and with it the ability to advance or block Democratic President-elect Joe Biden’s legislative agenda.

Source

From the local news which includes more details.

Source: State investigating groups trying to register out-of-state voters for Senate runoffs

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says his office has opened investigations into potential election law violations by groups working to register voters ahead of January's Senate runoffs.

"Voting in Georgia when you are not a resident of Georgia is a felony," he said.

One group, America Votes, he said was allegedly sending absentee ballot applications to homes of people where they have not lived in decades.

Another group, Vote Forward, he said, tried to register a dead Alabama woman to vote here in Georgia.

Claims have surfaced that The New Georgia Project has sent applications to residents in New York City.

The fourth group, Operation New Voter Registration Georgia, is reportedly telling out-of-state college students they can register here in Georgia and vote in the January runoff.

"Encouraging college kids to commit felonies with no regard for what it might mean for them is despicable," Raffensperger said.

Gabriel Sterling with the Secretary of State's office said college students registering is fine as long as they don't intend to switch back to their "home" state. They have to intend to be residents of Georgia.

"These third party groups have a responsibility to not encourage illegal voting. If they do so, they will be held responsible," Raffensperger said.

He also said that his office has 23 investigators probing 250 open cases alleging some kind of election law violation, but none of them cast doubt on the integrity of the state's election results.

Source

Will liberals, who have been singing his praises, now start turning on Raffensperger?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course they're trying to cheat. It's what Democrats do.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't think anyone should cheat in elections. If these groups are breaking the law then they should face consequences. If they're following the letter of the law, which I expect they are, then they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
          I don't think anyone should cheat in elections. If these groups are breaking the law then they should face consequences. If they're following the letter of the law, which I expect they are, then they shouldn't.
          Well, the group telling students to become a resident then change it later is asking them to commit a felony. You are allowed to register if you plan on becoming a permanent resident of Georgia. Given so many liberals were talking/murmuring about moving to Georgia just to register and vote in the election, the state had to come out and state that doing so is a felony unless they are planning on being permanent residents.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Well, the group telling students to become a resident then change it later is asking them to commit a felony. You are allowed to register if you plan on becoming a permanent resident of Georgia. Given so many liberals were talking/murmuring about moving to Georgia just to register and vote in the election, the state had to come out and state that doing so is a felony unless they are planning on being permanent residents.
            Like I said, I imagine they are following the letter of the law. If not they should be punished.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I brought this up in another thread but thought it deserved its own thread.

From the local news which includes more details.

Source: State investigating groups trying to register out-of-state voters for Senate runoffs

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says his office has opened investigations into potential election law violations by groups working to register voters ahead of January's Senate runoffs.

"[1 plus 1 is 2]" he said.

...was allegedly...

Claims have surfaced that...

...is reportedly...

"[2 plus 2 is 4]" Raffensperger said.

Gabriel Sterling with the Secretary of State's office said [3 plus 3 is 6]....

...his office has 23 investigators probing 250 open cases alleging ...

Source

I believe the phrase here is "nothing-burger".

I wonder how many of these 250 open cases tie back to crackpots calling into Trump's "Tell us if you saw Bigfoot" hotline.

Will liberals, who have been singing his praises, now start turning on Raffensperger?
              Nah. The only substantive part of the whole article was "He said... none of them cast doubt on the integrity of the state's election results." This tells me all I need to know - Raffensperger is under political pressure to investigate a nothing-burger, but he's got the integrity to acknowledge that he's investigating a nothing-burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Ape View Post

I believe the phrase here is "nothing-burger".

I wonder how many of these 250 open cases tie back to crackpots calling into Trump's "Tell us if you saw Bigfoot" hotline.

Nah. The only substantive part of the whole article was "He said... none of them cast doubt on the integrity of the state's election results." This tells me all I need to know - Raffensperger is under political pressure to investigate a nothing-burger, but he's got the integrity to acknowledge that he's investigating a nothing-burger.
                The past election results have nothing to do with attempting to break rules on the NEXT election.

Comment

Like I said, I imagine they are following the letter of the law. If not they should be punished.
                  "Words have meaning"

Comment

"Words have meaning"
                    Your lizard brain lost me.

Comment

I'm sure you are lost.

Comment

I'm sure you are lost.
                        No, please explain what you meant by quoting me. I want to understand how that's a response to what I said.

Comment

No, please explain what you meant by quoting me. I want to understand how that's a response to what I said.
                          Like most liberal arguments I've seen, when you are attacking republicans, you condemn based on morals. On the other hand, when you are defending liberals bad behavior, you focus on legality. A group is encouraging students to commit felonies. I.E. "Words have Meanings" regardless of whether it is "legal or not", but suddenly, it's about the "letter of the law" and not whether it's good or bad.

Comment

Like most liberal arguments I've seen, when you are attacking republicans, you condemn based on morals. On the other hand, when you are defending liberals bad behavior, you focus on legality. A group is encouraging students to commit felonies. I.E. "Words have Meanings" regardless of whether it is "legal or not", but suddenly, it's about the "letter of the law" and not whether it's good or bad.
                            When have I done that?

And the OP is about potential criminal investigations so of course I'm going to comment on the letter of the law.
                            Last edited by LiconaFan97; 12-01-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The past election results have nothing to do with attempting to break rules on the NEXT election.
                              Based on the grammar/phrasing of that sentence, I interpreted the specific comment about 250 open cases as referring to the presidential election (unlike the other allegations in the article which, of course, did refer to the upcoming elections).

Indeed, I searched and found other references to this same statement. It was regarding the presidential election.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-secretary-of-state-raffensperger-investigating-250-cases-connected-to-election

Georgia official announces investigations, defends election

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Monday said his office is investigating more than 250 claims of voting irregularities connected with the November election.

EDITTED TO ADD: .... bringing me back to my original suspicion, that what we have here are 23 public officials looking into 250 Bigfoot sightings. Likely some of the same sludge Barr just finished sifting through, concluding there was nothing there.
                              Last edited by Bald Ape; 12-01-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment