Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

This is absolute insanity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Michigan isn't connected to Manitoba, so yeah, whatever, but if you want to go there, I'm going to point out that reckless partisan attacks on a woman who's already been targeted for kidnapping and assassination due to reckless partisan attacks satisfies the standard definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over, and expecting something different to happen.

That's assuming you're not in favor of seeing her kidnapped and assassinated.

If that's wrong, never mind.
    Republicans were targeted for a mass shooting due to partisan attacks. (see baseball shooting), that didn't stop the democrats from partisan attacks. Hmm...

Comment

I'm trying to see the logic behind Pallister's edict and I can only come up with one explanation: He believes that by cordoning off large swaths of a store that fewer people will go out and visit the store, thereby keeping more people at home.

The problem is that most people won't know intuitively what can/cannot be purchased because there isn't a lot of reason behind which products are off limits, so they have to go to the store to find out. So the reverse happens, people end up going to the store for nothing (returning home empty handed) so they left their homes and interacted with people needlessly. And they may end locating a mom-and-pop shop somewhere to get the items they need, so they may end up making extra trips outside.

Every time government tries to solve a problem, they create at least two more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        I'm trying to see the logic behind Pallister's edict and I can only come up with one explanation: He believes that by cordoning off large swaths of a store that fewer people will go out and visit the store, thereby keeping more people at home.

The problem is that most people won't know intuitively what can/cannot be purchased because there isn't a lot of reason behind which products are off limits, so they have to go to the store to find out. So the reverse happens, people end up going to the store for nothing (returning home empty handed) so they left their homes and interacted with people needlessly. And they may end locating a mom-and-pop shop somewhere to get the items they need, so they may end up making extra trips outside.

Although we differ widely on the advisability of shutting down and to what extent, I agree that this is insane. Your suggestion seems the only possible rationale for the rule, but it seems to me an extremely stupid rationale.
        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Look. All I want to know in this thread are opinions regarding the opening post. I appreciate the comparison to Michigan's governor, but I refuse to allow any sort of derail into politics in general.

I don't care what part of the political spectrum anybody here is, nor do I care where Manitoba's premier is.

The thread is about the ridiculous logic involved in keeping a store open but not allowing people to purchase whatever they want because somebody has deemed only certain items to be essential.

If you cannot give an opinion based on the op, then don't give an opinion. Find another thread in which to poison the well.

If people continue to argue politics they will be asked to leave.
            I can totally understand a righteous indignation from not being able to buy Christmas cards, even if I understand the theory behind the restrictions ... less to shop for, less shopping, less contacts, slow the spread. Manitoba and Alberta are currently holding down the top hot spots in Canada, and I'd venture a guess that's because they're not buying into the policies No matter how good the policies are, in theory, in practice, they work best on people willing to follow them voluntarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
              Although we differ widely on the advisability of shutting down and to what extent, I agree that this is insane. Your suggestion seems the only possible rationale for the rule, but it seems to me an extremely stupid rationale.
              I think the rationale is "fairness". (not that the logic flows cleanly). I.E. If I'm forcing clothing stores to close because they are not "essential", why should walmart get to bypass that rule because they ALSO sell other stuff. It's not fair, and therefore, their other sales should be just as limited.

(Note, I'm not saying this is a good idea, or sound logic, but I think that's the rationale behind this sort of thing).

Comment

I can totally understand a righteous indignation from not being able to buy Christmas cards, even if I understand the theory behind the restrictions ... less to shop for, less shopping, less contacts, slow the spread. Manitoba and Alberta are currently holding down the top hot spots in Canada, and I'd venture a guess that's because they're not buying into the policies No matter how good the policies are, in theory, in practice, they work best on people willing to follow them voluntarily.
                Actually, Ontario and Quebec are still the hot spots, as they have been from the very beginning. And they spent more time with things shut down completely at the beginning. Alberta is seeing a spike because, like everywhere, there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. But there are spikes all over the world. Our premier has done well, he could have done better, as every other single world leader could have done, but is not being ridiculously heavy-handed as other premiers are being.

The thing with Manitoba is, it's not just Christmas items that are "non-essential". It's boots with coloured bits. You can only buy big black winter boots in that particular store. I mean, people, it's winter in Manitoba! Can I please buy a pair of boots that don't look like every other sheep's boots?

And I saw diapers cordoned off in the video. Can you buy a pack of gum? Why ever not!

It's sheer lunacy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I think the rationale is "fairness". (not that the logic flows cleanly). I.E. If I'm forcing clothing stores to close because they are not "essential", why should walmart get to bypass that rule because they ALSO sell other stuff. It's not fair, and therefore, their other sales should be just as limited.

(Note, I'm not saying this is a good idea, or sound logic, but I think that's the rationale behind this sort of thing).
                  Yes.

There was a video from a few days earlier where a man with a small barbecue restaurant in Ontario was arrested for opening his place. It's situated just a few hundred feet from a massive Costco, which is allowed to remain open and serve food, which is what the barbecue guy was told not to do. And there were so many police, they even had mounted cops, it was, again, ludicrous.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Look. All I want to know in this thread are opinions regarding the opening post. I appreciate the comparison to Michigan's governor, but I refuse to allow any sort of derail into politics in general.

I don't care what part of the political spectrum anybody here is, nor do I care where Manitoba's premier is.

The thread is about the ridiculous logic involved in keeping a store open but not allowing people to purchase whatever they want because somebody has deemed only certain items to be essential.

If you cannot give an opinion based on the op, then don't give an opinion. Find another thread in which to poison the well.

If people continue to argue politics they will be asked to leave.
                    You started it by taunting "leftists" for not explaining why this makes sense.

In any case the reasoning is obviously that they want people to be able to buy essential items but want to discourage large groups from going to the store to buy non-essential items and to do so online instead. Most likely the order is that stores are not to sell non-essential items and Walmart decided that this was the best approach to comply with that order. If there appears to be inconsistency in how Walmart is complying with the order then that's on them.

Comment

Actually, Ontario and Quebec are still the hot spots, as they have been from the very beginning.
                      "All I know is what I read in the papers." Will Rogers.

2020-11-30_12-47-21.jpg

And they spent more time with things shut down completely at the beginning. Alberta is seeing a spike because, like everywhere, there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. But there are spikes all over the world. Our premier has done well, he could have done better, as every other single world leader could have done, but is not being ridiculously heavy-handed as other premiers are being.
                      I could point out the worst province in Canada is still looking at new cases per capita less than the average in the US, so they must be doing something better than us.

The thing with Manitoba is, it's not just Christmas items that are "non-essential". It's boots with coloured bits. You can only buy big black winter boots in that particular store. I mean, people, it's winter in Manitoba! Can I please buy a pair of boots that don't look like every other sheep's boots?
                      I have a policy when it comes to shopping for footwear with the fairer sex.

Don't.

And I saw diapers cordoned off in the video. Can you buy a pack of gum? Why ever not!
                      I doubt the diaper thing ... that falls under sanitary supplies, and nobody's putting restriction on those.

It's sheer lunacy.
                      I'm sorry you can't shop, p.

Comment

Originally posted by j
                        I'm sorry you can't shop, p.
                        I can shop to my heart's content. Our premier has not ordered such draconian things. Was talking to a Walmart staffer this morning in our small town, and she said how crazy Manitoba is being.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

You started it by taunting "leftists" for not explaining why this makes sense.

In any case the reasoning is obviously that they want people to be able to buy essential items but want to discourage large groups from going to the store to buy non-essential items and to do so online instead. Most likely the order is that stores are not to sell non-essential items and Walmart decided that this was the best approach to comply with that order. If there appears to be inconsistency in how Walmart is complying with the order then that's on them.
                          I apologize for "taunting". I didn't really want leftists to explain why this makes sense, because I know it doesn't. I really do want to know what everybody thinks, but I don't want a free-for-all hate-fest.

Comment

I can shop to my heart's content. Our premier has not ordered such draconian things. Was talking to a Walmart staffer this morning in our small town, and she said how crazy Manitoba is being.
                            D'oh! I knew that!

Posted in a hurry because I had to be in class at 1pm.

Comment

D'oh! I knew that!

Posted in a hurry because I had to be in class at 1pm.

I knew you knew that!

Comment

I apologize for "taunting". I didn't really want leftists to explain why this makes sense, because I know it doesn't. I really do want to know what everybody thinks, but I don't want a free-for-all hate-fest.
                                Pig intestines fly as Taiwan lawmakers engage in ham-fisted political attacks
                                TAIPEI, Taiwan — Taiwan has seen lawmakers throw punches, chairs, eggs and even water balloons during periodic and spectacular bouts of parliamentary violence.

But when pigs fly — that's something unheard of, even by Taiwan's standards.

Members of the opposition Kuomintang (KMT) on Friday threw pig hearts, intestines, lungs and other innards, leaving the chamber's crimson carpet streaked with ropy strands of intestine and milky viscera as they protested the ruling party's decision to allow imports of U.S. pork that contains the additive ractopamine.

Comment