Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Article for the Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Be careful with these generalizations. Progressives news outlets I watch regularly mock these corporate MSM outlets for the sheer number of openly conservative Republicans they hire in their quest for 'balance'. The article you cite is an opinion piece, and is labelled as such ("hot take"), so it's not 'left-wing news group' NBC's opinion, it's the opinion of the author. And the author in this case was the press secretary for a Republican Senator - so literally a Republican propagandist.

Don't be tricked into thinking Republican propaganda is left-wing opinion just because corporate media entities are dumb enough to publish Republican opinion pieces in their pointless quest to appear balanced.
    It's obviously an opinion piece, and NBC was content to platform it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

All I expect from Biden in this area is that he not interfere with any DOJ investigations. And I expect the DOJ to investigate any credible allegations.
      The problem is the DOJ will be doing Biden's bidding soon, so I expect any investigations will have to be independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        However, I am not so certain that Instant Runoff Voting is that big of a help to third parties, even if it is certainly better than what we have now...
        I'm a Libertarian, so I am always frustrated with the US two-party system. But it is a natural progression of strength in numbers, and the voter attitude of deciding between the lesser of two evils.

The only way this will change is through party evolution. We can see this on one issue: Militarism. There is a growing number of people in this country that are tired of the US "World Policeman" role and it has shown up in both major parties, promoted by Trump and Rand Paul in the Republican Party and Tulsi Gabbard among the Democrats. In the case of Paul and Gabbard, it hasn't been a strong enough issue to draw voters to their other positions, but that may change as party evolution continues its path.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'm a Libertarian, so I am always frustrated with the US two-party system. But it is a natural progression of strength in numbers, and the voter attitude of deciding between the lesser of two evils.

The only way this will change is through party evolution. We can see this on one issue: Militarism. There is a growing number of people in this country that are tired of the US "World Policeman" role and it has shown up in both major parties, promoted by Trump and Rand Paul in the Republican Party and Tulsi Gabbard among the Democrats. In the case of Paul and Gabbard, it hasn't been a strong enough issue to draw voters to their other positions, but that may change as party evolution continues its path.
          Change will be difficult as the two party system has become entrenched. Look at how hard it is to even get a third party candidate on the ballot, not to mention how tax money is given to the Republican and Democrat candidates

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            The problem is the DOJ will be doing Biden's bidding soon, so I expect any investigations will have to be independent.
            Biden isn't Trump, so I'm not so worried about the DOJ doing his bidding. But I'm sure you can count on the Senate starting an investigation, whether it's needed or not. Whether it continues will of course depend on the results of the Georgia runoff election.

If you're afraid that there can never be any investigation of the president when the same party holds both Houses of Congress and the White House, now that Trump has busted all the norms, I chalk that up to just one more of the adverse consequences of electing someone like Trump. (If you don't think it can be blamed on Trump, and is just a feature of our political system, feel free to propose what you think should be done about it. Just don't expect it to happen in the next couple of years.)

Comment

Biden isn't Trump, so I'm not so worried about the DOJ doing his bidding. But I'm sure you can count on the Senate starting an investigation, whether it's needed or not. Whether it continues will of course depend on the results of the Georgia runoff election.

If you're afraid that there can never be any investigation of the president when the same party holds both Houses of Congress and the White House, now that Trump has busted all the norms, I chalk that up to just one more of the adverse consequences of electing someone like Trump. (If you don't think it can be blamed on Trump, and is just a feature of our political system, feel free to propose what you think should be done about it. Just don't expect it to happen in the next couple of years.)
              Biden served as Obama's VP and Obama had the DOJ doing his bidding big time. His AG even referred to himself as Obama's "wingman".

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Biden served as Obama's VP and Obama had the DOJ doing his bidding big time. His AG even referred to himself as Obama's "wingman".
                Meaningless rhetoric and failure to respond . . .

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_finance_reform_in_the_United_States

DISCLOSE Act of 2010

The DISCLOSE Act (S. 3628) was proposed in July 2010. The bill would have amended the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit government contractors from making expenditures with respect to such elections, and establish additional disclosure requirements for election spending. The bill would have imposed new donor and contribution disclosure requirements on nearly all organizations that air political ads independently of candidates or the political parties. The legislation would have required the sponsor of the ad to appear in the ad itself. President Obama argued that the bill would reduce foreign influence over American elections. Democrats needed at least one Republican to support the measure in order to get the 60 votes to overcome GOP procedural delays, but were unsuccessful.[9][10]

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Meaningless rhetoric and failure to respond . . .
                  Knee-jerk irrelevant prattling wrt to my response to Stoic's post.

Comment

Biden served as Obama's VP and Obama had the DOJ doing his bidding big time.
                    Examples would be welcome.

Comment

Examples would be welcome.
                      The entire Collusion Delusion was pushed by Obama's DOJ who knew it was codswallop otherwise they wouldn't have lied to the FISA court about the evidence and even altered and falsified the evidence. To say that Obama was blissfully unaware of what was going on is inconceivable unless you wish to posit that he was mind-numbingly incompetent and oblivious to a degree that stretches credibility well past the breaking point.

Comment

And you wonder why everyone points and laughs whenever you start pontificating on American politics.

First, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was among the majority in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. But then given the depth of your understanding of the subject (you likely watched a TYT video and now consider yourself an expert) and the fact you truly believe that the communist dictator Joseph Stalin was a right-winger, you probably think RBG was a Republican.
                        Well Rogue, you did get me to go and read up on Citizens United. Your claim that RBG was in the majority is extremely misleading. The case was largely decided on a 5-4 basis, split along the at-the-time standard conservative-liberal split: Kennedy, Roberts, Alito, Scalia and Thomas concurring and RBG, Breyer, Stevens and Sotomeyer dissenting. There was one portion which was supported by 8 justices (only Thomas dissented on this portion). This was for upholding the disclosure provisions, i.e., Thomas was in favor of more Dark Money.

So, Rogue, could you please clarify and/or correct yourself regarding Citizens United and in particular, RBG's support for it?

As for Stalin being left-wing or right-wing, that likely comes from another thread but judging by your Trump-esque attack I would guess that you believe Stalin to have been left-wing. If that is the case, I suggest you give the following Quora topic a read for a good number of decent replies to just that question.
                        https://www.quora.com/Is-Stalinism-l...-or-right-wing
                        Last edited by casaba; 11-28-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

The entire Collusion Delusion was pushed by Obama's DOJ who knew it was codswallop otherwise they wouldn't have lied to the FISA court about the evidence and even altered and falsified the evidence. To say that Obama was blissfully unaware of what was going on is inconceivable unless you wish to posit that he was mind-numbingly incompetent and oblivious to a degree that stretches credibility well past the breaking point.
                          I don't doubt that Obama was aware of the Russia investigation, but that's not the same as the DOJ doing his bidding. (Of course, if doing things "by the book" is considered doing his bidding, I would argue that there's nothing wrong with that.)

Comment

Originally posted by casaba View Post

Well Rogue, you did get me to go and read up on Citizens United. Your claim that RBG was in the majority is extremely misleading. The case was largely decided on a 5-4 basis, split along the at-the-time standard conservative-liberal split: Kennedy, Roberts, Alito, Scalia and Thomas concurring and RBG, Breyer, Stevens and Sotomeyer dissenting. There was one portion which was supported by 8 justices (only Thomas dissented on this portion). This was for upholding the disclosure provisions, i.e., Thomas was in favor of more Dark Money.

So, Rogue, could you please clarify and/or correct yourself regarding Citizens United and in particular, RBG's support for it?
                            The decision was complicated with only four of the SCOTUS justices ruling in favor of Citizens United in full. RGB, like Thomas, Stevens, Breyer, and Sotomayor all decided in favor of part of it.

Originally posted by casaba View Post
                            As for Stalin being left-wing or right-wing, that likely comes from another thread but judging by your Trump-esque attack I would guess that you believe Stalin to have been left-wing. If that is the case, I suggest you give the following Quora topic a read for a good number of decent replies to just that question.
                            https://www.quora.com/Is-Stalinism-l...-or-right-wing
                            If you can't figure out what part of the political spectrum that a communist is on that is not my problem. Although there have been efforts by some on the left to confuse matters like when during the attempted coup against Boris Yeltsin by hardline communists we were treated to some in the MSM referring to those hardline communists as "conservatives."

Comment

I don't doubt that Obama was aware of the Russia investigation, but that's not the same as the DOJ doing his bidding. (Of course, if doing things "by the book" is considered doing his bidding, I would argue that there's nothing wrong with that.)
                              Can you explain how lying to the FISA court and altering evidence was by the book?

And yes, I'm familiar where the "by the book" remark comes from -- an email that Sally Rice sent to herself in the final days of the Obama Administration where she repeatedly used that phrase in describing the investigation. An email that has all the earmarks of a CYA attempt of establishing documentation for that claim.

Comment

Change will be difficult as the two party system has become entrenched. Look at how hard it is to even get a third party candidate on the ballot, not to mention how tax money is given to the Republican and Democrat candidates
                                That's why I don't hold out much hope of a Libertarian ever being elected as president. And even if it happened, they would likely be hamstrung in Congress. No, I hope to see Libertarian issues being adopted by the two major parties.

Comment